Yuvarlakcay River may be no more............
There will be a protest held in Yuvarlakcay on Saturday at 10:00am. The protest is against the construction of a hydroelectric power generating scheme that will in effect divert the stunningly beautiful river running through Yuvarlakcay. (where the fish farms and restaurants are). The river and surrounding area is one of outstanding natural beauty and supports a large range of fauna and flora throughout that area and the impact on the environment from this scheme will reach as far as Koycegiz lake.

The developers are due to start chopping trees down (many of them rare and mature) on Saturday morning
Representatives of environmental groups from many areas including Izmir and Istanbul will be attending the demonstration along with national media reporters, the local villagers and many Turkish and foreign groups.

Berna Babaoglu will be attending the protest and she has asked if we could let all FRG members know about this protest and all are welcome.
If you wish to join the demonstration there will be a large group of representatives leaving from Dalyan on Saturday morning. Anyone wishing to join this group, please meet at the denizati restaurant at 08:00 on Saturday morning, Transport is being arranged for those that do not own vehicles, anyone who wishes to go in their own cars but do not know the way are also welcome to meet at the Denizati restaurant and can follow from there.

If you wish to make your own way to Yuvarlakcay people will be meeting at the Yesil Vandi restaurant in Yuvarlakcay at 09:00. From there the group will walk to the protest site.
It would be advisable to take sturdy footwear and suitable clothing, including waterproofs. It would also be beneficial to take along some food and drink with you.

The person organising this protest is CEMAL the owner of the Yesil Vardi in Yuvarlakcay and he can be contacted on 05426672962.

:mad2::mad2::mad2:

ChrisBobs

I HOpe you get a lot of people there- these HE plants are eating streams al over Turkey...

pembelu

seems there will be another protest organised this weekend,i dont know much more myself, no doubt will hear more soon. I think a koycegiz group will be going as well as others from local area.I dont understand the local government- the koycegiz CHP voted fella seems powerless to do anything...is this really so, i wonder if the ruling party who said ok to plans even visited here? good luck to all involved. Has it been in local papers when the decision making process was going on or even when it was made or is this all so fresh we didnt get a chance to hear of it sooner?

Last edited:
Here is the latest up date.....
--------------------------------------------------

We're very saddened to see the clearing of the trees at Yuvarlkcay today. A 60m-wide strip along the north bank of the river is being cleared in order to lay pipes and electric poles and build a road to help lay the pipes. In summary, the area has been devistated; especially it was very dissapointing to see the source of the river, where they've also knocked down centuries-old plane trees.

The majority of the people of this area has been there once, I'm sure, as well as the tourists. Have a look at it now: : Yuvarlak Cay Spring | Yuvarlakcay'da HES'e HAYIR' suyumuza sahip cikalim Help yuvarlakcay live long, save the river | Causes

We need to raise over voices louder than ever. In this regard, some activities are being organised:

- TOMORROW (21st Dec.), at 12:00, there will be a protest gathering in front of KOYCEGIZ Special Environment Protection (OCK) building. THere will be a letter to the Mugla Governer open for signature. Be there to sign and have your say.

- WEDNESDAY (23rd Dec.), DALYAN WALKING GROUP will gather next to PTT in Dalyan at 10:00, go to Yuvarlakcay area by own transport, and do a walk from the restaurants area to the source of the river. At the same time, cyclists from DALYAN CYCLING GROUP will ride from Dalyan and meet us there. The walk is very easy and about half an hour. IF YOU WANT TO JOIN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW BY PHONE OR E-MAIL.

Hope to see you at both of these events

Murat Demirci
Dalyan Walking Group
0533 694 0923
:grouphug:

One of the restaurant owners stated to Jane that the river flow will reduce from 1500# to 400# Can anyone tell me where the missing 1100 will go?

pembelu

just redirected is what im told but i admit me and hub are none the wiser or have we yet to get a full details post up?hard to know how to react to something you know very little about and i havent found much local news or found out about actual government approved plans. info is power and it seems as so often happens something got the ok (didnt local governors know??!!) and then residents of the neighbouring areas were the last to know or have we been reading the wrong papers?!

Last edited:
Hi Pembelu,
If you read the above posts you will see links and phone numbers. Cemal is organising the protests and will have lots of facts to give you.

ChrisBobs

Something to love- from their facebook page

YUVARLAKCAY KORUMA PLATFORMU
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This Sunday we do celebrate Valentines day at the Yuvarlakcay river. Valentine is about love, care and being with each other.
Do bring your friends you love and care about to the spot you do care about. Don't forget your picnic
At 12:00 we meet for a picnic at the spring of the Yuvarlakcay river.

We have arranged free minibus transfers from Dalyan, Ortaca and Koycegiz:
Departure time & place for Dalyan: 11:00 next to Post Office
Departure time & place for Ortaca: 11:00 in front of Ortaca Municipality.
Departure time & place for Koycegiz: 11:00 in front of Ataturk statue.

IMPORTANT NOTE: The parking for this event will be allowed only at DOKUM TEPE and at the RESTAURANTS. Once you park, you may walk to Topgozu or use our free shuttle minibuses from the parking places to Topgozu. We request that you obey the parking rules and do not try to park at Topgozu.

PROTECTION PLATFORM of YUVARLAKCAY RIVER

Chris, please do us a favour and ask the restaurant guys where the water will be diverted to. If really is to be diverted then perhaps there will be benefit to someone, maybe it's for irrigation or to water a village which is currently without water.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom