KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Yuruk Museum, Ciftlik near Fethiye
Following a recommendation from a neighbour and an article in the press, I, Ceni and a couple of friends visited the Yuruk Museum today.

The museum is a little of the beaten track and after a couple of short diversions we arrived at around 11 am and ordered breakfast.

Well, to say we were surprised at the range of food put on the table, would be putting it very mildly. Even a picture doesn't do justice to the "eat and drink as much as you can" breakfast. Each time we managed to empty a glass, cup or plate, Enver or his daughter insisted on refilling it for us. The cost including a guided tour around the very extensive collection of historical items collected from all over Turkey, 15 TL per person.

DSCF3588.jpg

The museum has it's own website at Yörük Müzesi - Fethiye

You can read the Today's Zamam article here Yuruk Museum, Fethiye

Last edited:

teresa

Free Thinker
I would agree absolutely. Enver's place is quite local to us and we do pop over for a fabulous breakfast and regularly take visitors there. We appeared on the TV once when we were brought in for a Turkish equivalent of the Richard and Judy breakfast show (with folk dancing at 7am) broadcast from Istanbul - Enver is quite a famous guy :) and a real character.

I have just noticed that Mike and elaine who were also there for the TV broadcast are in the Zaman photo shot as well - they must be on the extras payroll now!

Last edited:

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Go into Ciftlik off of the D400 and you'll see signs for The Yuruk Museum and Yalcin Apartments.

Gail

Looks like a really lovely place and I love this little note Enver has left for his guests:

For the attention of our guests;
In case our guests like Fethiye or our village and wish to settle here, it is our duty to assist them in their purchases of houses, land and property.

Please take note of this;
As our establishment is located in the village where the life-style of Turcomans is displayed and as we are farmers, we would not tolerate any complaints about the cocks crowing, the donkeys braying, the oxen bellowing, the lamb bleating, the cats meowing and the dogs barking.
Respectfully yours,
In the name of Yalçın family,
Enver Yalçın...

Brilliant lol, Ian I would say it's definitely worth a look.

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
I have some Culture Vultures visiting next week, so this looks good.

Ian

GnD

Thanks for the info, Gail I agree the wording is great!

Gail

Thanks for the info, Gail I agree the wording is great!

It just made me laugh, he is politely saying, "this is how it is, we have been here a long time and this is how we live, if you don't like it, b***er off and buy somewhere else" lol

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Immac,

Take my advise and only have a light meal the night before you visit.

We arrived around 11am for breakfast and were scoffin' 'til 1pm. Each time we emptied a glass, cup or plate, Enver insisted on bringing us another. :lol:

This might be THE place for a TLF Spring Meeting ??

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Go into Ciftlik off of the D400 and you'll see signs for The Yuruk Museum and Yalcin Apartments.

I can`t find it! Been up and down the main road and the Çiftlık village main street twice and no signage for this place. Is there a Google Earth reference so I can at least see the place exists and is not some cruel hoax?

Ian

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
The rough coordinates are 36°42'38.62"N 29° 04'45.29"E Unfortunately the image on GoogleEarth for that area is from March 2005 and isn't very clear.

If you're going into Ciftlik from the D400 from Fethiye / Calis go past the big abandoned factory and the site of the Wednesday market on your right.

Turn right at the next junction into Turgat Ozal Cad and stay on that road for about a mile. If I remember correctly there's only one fork in the road at which you should go right. You'll eventually see the canal / irrigation channel on your right and you should continue along the road for a further mile or so, keeping the canal on your right, until after several twists and turns you eventually see the museum and Yalcin Apartments on your right over a footbridge.

If you use the road from Kargi that's also signposted, there's just one fork in the road and you should go left between a couple of greenhouses and then you'll reach the museum about a quarter of a mile later.

Last edited:

Tess

Every time I read threads like this it fills me with 'wanderlust' - what a marvellous country so many hidden places to visit, boy I could fill my days discovering and visiting it all. KKOB, the area you live in sounds so picturesque, I thought also the setting for your breakfast meet last Sunday looked idyllic !!!
OH well !!! one can dream, gotta check my Euro million ticket - KKOB and Co, watch out, I may be trekking your roads someday soon LOL!!!! Or even better, get the blasted washer / dryer goin as per a typical Saturday morn in Ballymena!!!!

.........I have just looked at the area on "www.wikimapia.org" and the area you are discussing is quiet clear and the place could be highlighted.Choose map type "GOOGLE MAP" and "SATELLITE"

Last edited:

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Unfortunately they're using the same satellite image which is over 4 years old and there are now a couple of extra buildings there. Nobody's highlighted it yet.

Not to worry though, I think I've given the right coordinates and the directions should help.

It's 400 meters from the 22meter road junction to the old road to the airport. Turn right, then 1.3 Km to a right turn just past a prominent mosque. Then just follow that road.; maybe 8 minutes driving. Don't cross the canal.

KKOB
I,m coming over from Kaş on Tuesday and would like to take my Mum to the museum.
Do I stay on the D400 as if heading for Dalaman and not turn left at either of the 3 junctions that would take me into Fethiye?

Soo x

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Yes, that's correct. Go past the Fethiye junctions, past a Go-Kart track on your right, past the Calis & Fethiye turn-off on your left, and then turn right into Ciftlik village.

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Mystery of the missing signs: on a rece this morning I drove out of the village on the northern end and found the signs about 200m north of the village (towards Dalaman) and it is clearly indicated.

Ian

Latest Posts

Top Bottom