ceemac

Shake It Baby...
Youtube Ban Taken to ECHR
The Internet Technology Association (INETD) has applied to the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR), objecting to the decision to block youtube.com in Turkey.

Access has been banned to the global video sharing site for 19 months now since 5 May 2008.

Article here

C

SuperBogs

I miss you Pebble
It is a shame for the people of Turkey to have a government that is so backwards in thinking to allow this to happen in the first place.

Bob

I think it a bit more complicated. The government will need to change how the law operates which is a difficult task.

At present any fanatical prosecutor (be they Secularist or Islamist) in any city can go to judges they know will be sympathetic and apply for a ban. The judges grant it and who will appeal? Thank goodness for the Internet Technology Association of Turkey. Sadly there are a couple of thousand more sites that are banned including Shoutcast (an Internet TV and Radio station broadcaster that broadcasts Turkish state radio and TV stations) and RichardDawkins.Net that was banned because he wrote a critical review of a book by a Turkish creationist.

:ballchain

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
Turkey is now trying to say that as soon as YouTube pays taxes in Turkey, it will lift the ban.

Here

C

Robert

As someone who loves Turkey and have lived here for over three years now, I find it very unfortunate to say the least, that the government takes this kind of action. I beleive the action to ban was taken because of anti Muslim content on You Tube. We can all find something on the net that is offensive, nomater what religoin or believes we have. This is a price we pay for democracy and free speech. Turkey must decide whether it is a true democracy or not.
To para phrase, I DO NOT AGREE WITH WHAT YOU SAY, BUT I WILL DEFEND TO THE DEATH,YOUR RIGHT TO SAY IT.

As someone who loves Turkey and have lived here for over three years now, I find it very unfortunate to say the least, that the government takes this kind of action. I believe the action to ban was taken because of anti Muslim content on You Tube. We can all find something on the net that is offensive, nomater what religoin or believes we have. This is a price we pay for democracy and free speech. Turkey must decide whether it is a true democracy or not.
To para phrase, I DO NOT AGREE WITH WHAT YOU SAY, BUT I WILL DEFEND TO THE DEATH,YOUR RIGHT TO SAY IT.

Robert, I totally agree with you, but I think the ban was orginally imposed because of postings on You Tube that were considered offensive to Kemal Ataturk not because of any religious viewpoints. The government did not initiate the action, it was a prosecutor who went to a judge that he knew would be sympathetic. It's a bit like people taking action under the libel laws in the UK.

:388dd:

Last edited:

Robert

I hear what you say Kirpi, and if you are right, an attack on Ataturk would be very offensive to most Turkish people as he is regarded as a great leader and founder of modern Turkey. I still feel that the ban on you tube is the responsibility of the Government. Government makes the laws, the courts mearly interpritate them:388dd:

I hear what you say Kirpi, and if you are right, an attack on Ataturk would be very offensive to most Turkish people as he is regarded as a great leader and founder of modern Turkey. I still feel that the ban on you tube is the responsibility of the Government. Government makes the laws, the courts mearly interpritate them:388dd:

Robert, Again I agree with you. Turkey has to grow up and learn how to live with debate.

Unfortunately, the legal system in Turkey, enshrined in the constitution, needs changing and this is a huge task. We already know that many changes that the government has wanted to make have been thwarted by entrencheched interests. I live in hope that these changes will be made and that artists will not be prosecuted for the words of their fictional character (Elif Shafak) or for their statements (Orhan Pamuk) of for singing in a language that is not Turkish (too many to mention). I could go on an on.

Too many writers and journalists have been persecuted and killed (Hrant Dink and more). A mindset change is required together with changes to the constitution. This is a huge task and will not be carried out easily against the vested interests.

:388dd:

jimskem

Surprised the Internet Technology Association are to apply to the European Court of
Human Rights in their fight to have the Youtube ban lifted.
However, if they are granted a hearing, hopefully they will find time to ask about Beckie and Geraint's penthouse that was stolen from them.

Surprised the Internet Technology Association are to apply to the European Court of
Human Rights in their fight to have the Youtube ban lifted.
However, if they are granted a hearing, hopefully they will find time to ask about Beckie and Geraint's penthouse that was stolen from them.

too true :cheers:
the problem with the censorship doesnt lie with the government ..it lies with the Constitution...even Mr erdoğan has admitted he hs found a way around the ban to watch Youtube (maybe he knows KKOB!)

Robert

SORRY , I STAND MY GROUND,
THE CONSTITUTION, THE COURTS.

only the GOVERNMENT can change theese. The buck must stop with them, so lets stop making exuses for them.
In my viewThis government has been good for Turkey in very many ways, but on this issue the backbone seems a little weak.
BINIM TEWCHE SENI SEVIYOURM (I think)

geordie_nev

Great post Kirpi, just to add to your post the constitution was set up following the 80’s military coup (although its has been slightly tweaked a few times). The constriction was designed primarily to defend the state and institutions following the coup, the rights of individuals and minority groups are very much secondary to defending the state.

Any reforms the government tries to implement are highly likely to fail without changing the constitution, as one journalist (Yigal Schleifer) put it, “it’s like trying to run sophisticated software on a computer that's still running an old operating system -- the applications won't run and trying to run the machine with them could even lead to a crash.”

Its very true the buck stop with the government, after all it was very much part of their election campaign to change the constitution, but its not so easy, as soon as they start to do anything the opposition parties start kicking up a fuss, sadly they (the opposition) rely heavily on using the general public’s prejudices. You need to remember since the election in 2007 one of the only parts of the constitution changed was allowing the head scarves into Unis and then the law was annulled and the party was almost closed down (popular with AKP supporters but probably a political mistake on their behalf at the time).

A few months ago Erdoğan invited the opposition parties to help draft a new constitution, I can’t remember how it turned out as I was in the states but the upshot was, (I think) they told him to stick it.

BTW. I agree its dreadful for Turkey banning all these web sites, the digital industry is the future for many countries, when you look at how the British government are going to start rolling out infrastructure etc. like “Digital Britain” then Turkey is really going to fall massively behind. Although of course its more about freedom of speech.

Last edited:

Robert

o.k. folks ,I yield, it seems we are going to carry on making excuses for the government, good debate though.

Robert, How has London become the Libel capital of the world? Why do individuals and companies flock to London to file libel claims? Why are so many scientists, writers and others silenced because of the fear of claims that will cost them tens of thousands to defend even if they are successful? Why is one judge's name constantly appearing in the news report in this context? What do you advocate doing to deal with that British judge?

Robert

I live in Turkey, and have not been back to England since I came here three and a half years ago, let the Brits sort their problems out. heheheh.
As far as I am aware TH E U.K. has not got a written:321oi: constitution.

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely agree Robert. But I am committed to living in Turkey (I have nowhere else now) and do see the Turkish constitution, the legal system that supports it, and the opposition parties that constantly refer to it as obstacles to Turkey becoming a more free and open society. I want it to change, I really do want it to change, but I am entitled to point out how backward and oppressive the UK is even without a constitution! The Uk Government can change the laws far more easily than the Turkish Government can.

:ballchain

All censorship is wrong and ultimately self-defeating. It's just a shame that the PCT that made the video did not say it was made by professional actors and was not actual footage.

Robert

SNAP!! I also am committed to living in Turkey, and I love every day here, I have to admit that I will be returning to England over Christmas, but only because I have been more or less KIDNAPPED, by my sons who have paid for 2 return tickets for us. Anyway it says alot that we can have this kind of debate without the fear of the midnight knock on the door.
I don't think theres anything between us and as we all know, the average Turkish teenager can log on to YOUTUBE here. ADVANCE TURKEY, your fragile democratic roots grow stronger and I hope within a short time, you will become the model for a totally free and liberal democracy for the entire region.:clap:

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
Turkey’s telecommunications regulator is working with the Justice Ministry to lift the ban on YouTube.

Here

C

Latest Posts

Top Bottom