peter the postie

Wer'e not really here
Your most memorable match
I wonder what is your most memorable match? One stipulation...It has to be your own team.

As a citeh fan Iv'e seen quite a few amazing games, but one in particular sticks in my mind. It was during our yoyo years and to this day I can't believe the way it unfolded. 2-0 down in the second division play off final at Wembley with only 5 minutes to go:( .. I was on my way down the tunnel to console myself with a hot dog, when the city end erupted. Horlock had scored so I flew back into the stand.
38 seconds to go in injury time & Paul Dickov sent a stunning shot into the top corner and the rest is history! What an amazing day.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCUSxMTI_Bo]YouTube - Gillingham v Man City Penalty Shoot-Out[/ame]

Last edited:

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
That's not a fair question Pete because it's so easy for you - Man City haven't got many memorable matches so it's relatively simple to pick one :hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe:

C

peter the postie

Wer'e not really here
That's not a fair question Pete because it's so easy for you - Man City haven't got many memorable matches so it's relatively simple to pick one :hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe:

C

Here's another one then C. 3 down and down to ten men .....Let me know when youv'e seen enough :)
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkKzUUjER_4]YouTube - Tottenham Hostpur 3 Manchester City 4[/ame]

barry budd

QPR MAN
your like this one ptp mu 1 qpr 4
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35SXBpIyG_k]YouTube - Man U v Queens Park Rangers (a.k.a QPR) 4-1 to the supahoops[/ame]

Last edited:

Martyn

Great game that Pete, superb take by Keane and Ledley King. Same old same old from Barton.

Remember Chelsea beating West Ham and scoring 4 goals with 10 men as well.:roundgrin

Talking about ready to go home, I was at Wembley with my dad in 1960 at the FA Amateur Cup Final Hendon v Kingstonian. We had the 2nd best seats 12s 6d I think and was walking down to go out at 0-1 and scored two late goals to win 2-1.

Last edited:

parrot

25th of may 1967 Celtic winning the european cup,todays champion league.As the underdogs the beat Inter Milan in the final,absolute bliss the first british team to win it.

ukizook

1974, Dennis Law scores for Man City. United go down, and the following pitch invasion see's me getting a good kicking from some utd fans.
I was estatic [though I could have done without the pain] and I even saw myself on the news later. ;)

peter the postie

Wer'e not really here
1974, Dennis Law scores for Man City. United go down, and the following pitch invasion see's me getting a good kicking from some utd fans
Lol that was you was it? .. Poor Denis looked devastated after that goal. :roundgrin

geordie_nev

The big game as a Sunderland support has to be the Cup Final in 1973. I was only 6 at the time so didn’t go to the match but still remember all the celebrations etc.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIFud3OO3C0&NR=1]YouTube - F.A Cup Final 1973: Sunderland vs Leeds United[/ame]

Despite getting beat one of the most exciting games I’ve ever been to was the Sunderland v Charton play off final 4-4 after extra time, 6 – 7 on pens. It was voted the best ever game at Wembley

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwbiaTz7Yvs]YouTube - Charlton Athletic 1998 Play Off Final[/ame]

Most memorable game ? For me it has to be, without doubt, Burnley V Orient 1987 in the then Fourth Division.

Why ? It was the last match of the season. After a terrible year, Burnley - one of the founder members of the Football League, had to win to stay in the League. They also had to hope that Lincoln or Torquay lost. Burnley won 2-1 and stayed up. It was a game that I will never forget and one that even now brings a lump to my throat when I thnk about it.

If you have time then there is a great write-up on the match on the attached link, a good read for anyone interested in football history.

Burnley vs Orient, May 1987

And then view the short YouTube clip.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8AMkKkr2Ck&feature=related]YouTube - Burnley V Orient[/ame]

Second most memorable ? How things have moved on. 2009 Carling Cup Semi Final. Burnley V Tottenham. Having beaten Fulham, Arsenal and Chelsea in previous rounds Burnley were dead and buried after the first leg losing 4-1 at White Hart Lane. A brilliant fight back at Turf Moor to make it 4-4 and so on away goals got to within 90 secs from Wembley only to have Tottenham score two very late goals to put us out.

However perhaps there is an even more memorable game still to come, Burnley V Sheffield Utd, Championship playoffs at Wembley. Could Burnley be back in the top tier after 33 years ? Any Blades fans on here ?

Ian S

peter the postie

Wer'e not really here
The big game as a Sunderland support has to be the Cup Final in 1973.

Ah, and they knocked Citeh out along the way. I watched the 5th round tie at Maine road with me old dad :)

If I'm right Citeh plundered your team the following season and bought Mike Horswill, Dave Watson, and the great Dennis Tueart from Sunderland.

manchester united in the nou camp in 1999 1 nil down less than five minutes to go teddy and ole win us the european cup and the treble and i was right behind the goals the most unbeliavable feelind i have ever had it will always stay with me :roundgrin

Akasya

Postless Pointer
It was late on a Saturday night, was bitterly cold, probably just after Christmas. We were up in town, Fulham / Chelsea area, pouring with rain, the terraces were only half full, the assembled crowd moved listlessly like a cold oil slick, back and forth, up and down on the steps. Just as terminal boredom set in one of my mates said " wanna fag " a SWAN VESTA fluttered into life, carefully shielded by a cupped hand from the ravages of wind and rain, Nirvana, what a match that was.
Steve.

Martyn

I remember a cold December day in 1968 I travelled away to watch Ipswich v Chelsea and David Webb our centre back played as a make shift centre forward and scored a hat trick.

The big game as a Sunderland support has to be the Cup Final in 1973. I was only 6 at the time so didn’t go to the match but still remember all the celebrations etc.

YouTube - F.A Cup Final 1973: Sunderland vs Leeds United

Despite getting beat one of the most exciting games I’ve ever been to was the Sunderland v Charton play off final 4-4 after extra time, 6 – 7 on pens. It was voted the best ever game at Wembley

YouTube - Charlton Athletic 1998 Play Off Final
an even more memorable match will be next sunday if villa beat the barcodes to send them down.there will be a few of us in altinkum having the party of a lifetime if it happens!

This season after being a season ticket for 35 years ups and downs winning the league at Hampden Park with my son and grandson .
The other was when we got the cup at Starks Park G. Brown was not there.
Raith Rovers RULE

Latest Posts

Top Bottom