yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
your first proper wage
Martyns thread about worst jobs has got me thinking about my first proper wage after school, I worked at Lennons supermarket before my apprenticeship started in 1976 and was paid the vast sum of £21.83 gross.
can you remember your first wage ? more to the point can you remember what you did with it ? i bought a dark green velvet jacket and a pair of light green pants and blew the rest in the pubs and clubs !

martin

Martyn

your first proper wage
I remember mine clearly. I left school in April 1966, you could leave at two periods of the year then. I was 15yrs 4ths. My first wage was £5 3s 0d gross and I took home £4 14s 6d

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
your first proper wage
Great memories, my first wage was £5.16 shillings, after I paid my board (do children still pay board these days)?, I had £2.16 shillings left, I saved 10 shillings a week at the Boutique in our village, until I had enough on my card and bought a pair of hot pants, lol, to go to my very first night out at a Discotheque.

REDDERS

your first proper wage
I left school in 1966,mum had application form all filled in for me to join kent police,but ididn't post it,i entered motor trade as apprentice mechanic, £5.10s a week,ended up in life having owned 2 businesses & now retired in Bodrum at 58years old.

martin..

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
your first proper wage
Great memories, my first wage was £5.16 shillings, after I paid my board (do children still pay board these days)?, I had £2.16 shillings left, I saved 10 shillings a week at the Boutique in our village, until I had enough on my card and bought a pair of hot pants, lol, to go to my very first night out at a Discotheque.

are you going to tell us you still have them ?

martin

akbukowl

your first proper wage
i worked part time selling ice cream saturday's and sunday's for £10 a day i then left school (1967) and became an apprentice at Montague Burton earning £5.14 sh for 40 hrs .I have always thought i got it wrong some were but Burton's were a great company to work for and imagine as 16 year old walking into a factory were 86 men worked and 850 women worked wow a young man's dreams all come true.

your first proper wage
First wage £2.2/6 a week if anyone remembers sixpences.
mum got £1 2/6 for busfares & £1 for me lol.

I worked in a wholesale chemists with a great bunch of people & loved every minuite of it :)

james1873

your first proper wage
£9.00 for working underground with the National Coal Board in the early 70s. I was not long married and I handed the wage packet unopened to her who must be obeyed and she gave me £2.00 pocket money.

The next week I handed her £2.00 and told her to try it LOL.

Maisie

your first proper wage
Can't remember how much my first week's wage was, but I know what I did with it. I went out Saturday morning and got my ears pierced. My mother had refused to pay for it saying it was barbaric - so when it was MY money - I made the decision.

may

your first proper wage
My first wage was £2.10s my mum took the £2.00 and gave me the 10shillings and I had to put 5shillings into my post office account.

babsgood

Deemon in disguise
your first proper wage
I started in the civil service in 1976 and my first wage was 17 pounds, I gave mum a fiver for board and then went and had a perm, which was really stupid as I have naturally curly hair but everyone was having them at the time. The rest I blew on clothes and drinking with my mates, a couple of quid got a few halves of lager and black and chips on the way home!!!!!

Mark spent his first wage in 1977 on a denim jacket he had to borrow a couple of quid because he didn't have enough money and had to walk 5 miles home from Nottingham...........it was a good buy tho cos he still has, and wears the bloody thing

zozatky

your first proper wage
Joined up with 55 Air Despatch sqn 1969 first wage was 13GBP a week sent 10 GBP home via post office to help my mam keep the house going.

sandpearse

Bolton Born and Bred
your first proper wage
Left school in 1979, and went to work in an accountants on a Youth Apprentice Scheme. I got paid £24.50 and my employers gave me an extra £5.00 for bus fares. I bought a pair of lilac (!) jeans, that I had to lie down in to zip up! do you remember doing that girls?? lol . I had to give my mum board of £10.00 per week.

saffie

Saffie
your first proper wage
Left school at 15 on the thursday and was at work the following monday earning the princely sum of £8 and 10shillings a week.

Mum took £5 for board,leaving me with £3 10 shillings. Used £2 for lunches and bus fares, £1 into my savings account and blew the ten bob on make up and stockings!!!! If I needed clothes I would walk to work and back and use the fare money. Also often worked at my old part time job on saturdays to make a bit of extra for clothes and the odd trip to the disco.

saffie

alison09400

your first proper wage
I went straight into a YPS job in an housing association as Office Junior when I left school in 1982....my wage was £27.00. I gave my mum £15 of that for board and still had enough for bus fares, lunches and a night out at the weekend lol!

tony&rose

tony&rose
your first proper wage
my first wage was £3-7s-6p that was 1964 and that was a 44hour week i had to work 8 til 12 on saterday and we got 2s-6p timekeeping bonus.foregot to say i was a trainee welder

Last edited:

Ceni

Ceni
your first proper wage
I left school in 77, had a place at college supposedly doing art, but couldn't face another 3 years of having no money, (at the time my mum used to give me the months child allowance of about 5.00 for bits n bobs) so a mate got me a job at one of the local shoe factories. First wage was £17.00, it felt great to give my mum £7.00 every week, don't remember what I spent the first lot on, it would more than likely of been an LP "Top of the Pops" number whatever.
I did HP on a Honda 100cbn and a Paddy Hopkirk helmet a few months later when I went onto piece work and my wages shot up to £28.00.

The very good old days :lol:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom