Mushroom

You could not make it up !!
Had I not watched it on the news I wouldn't have believed it.

A male teacher with 30 years service and on TV looking like a decent man, took exception to an unruly 13 year old in his class and took hold of him by the collar to take him out of the class.

End result, said schoolboy alleges assault, which is strictly true but at the very lowest scale possible, says he has redness to the neck and heyho a prosecution follows.

The teacher is fined £1500 (yes, £1500) and now he has a conviction, which he appreciates will most certainly mean he will be sacked from his job after an unblemished career.

Is it me or have we gone mad? I am not he biggest supporter in the world of some of our teachers but at the same time appreciate what they are up against.

This little member of our underclass will no doubt sue the education authority and claim psychological trauma and get a little payout.

I just wish we could turn the clock back for this teacher to the days when he started and when the teacher was in charge, instead of apparently the other way around as it is now.

Personally, I wouldn't have made 30 years as a teacher because I would not have had his 30 year slow burning fuse.

Saoirse

I understand what you are saying but I think it would be a slippery slope if it was ok for a teacher to lay hands on a kid

Martyn

I understand what you are saying but I think it would be a slippery slope if it was ok for a teacher to lay hands on a kid

They used to be able to though. Do you think it's better now Phil or when we were kids?

Saoirse

where would you draw the line Carol?
So its ok to grab a kid? Then is it ok to push him, hit him?

Ok to do the same thing to girls too? What age is it ok to do this to?

I reckon its a sign of an unreasonable temperment if the teacher has to resort to use of violence against the kid, even if he was a wee rat

Saoirse

They used to be able to though. Do you think it's better now Phil or when we were kids?

They also used to push kids up chimneys! Doesnt make it right cos we used to do it.

Dont get me wrong I have a great respect for teachers, I certainly couldnt put up with some of the brats they have to deal with but surely resorting to use of violence, regardless of how little is not an example to set for kids

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Yeah I know, we had to pay 2 fellas 80 TL to clean our chimney the other day. It would have been far cheaper if we could have shoved a boy up it.

Saoirse

well for the hang em and flog em nutters on here they should combine their two fetishes and call for kids to be hanged!

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Yep, do it before they turn into Kevins & Perrys and get too big to fit up chimneys and down grids! :3:

Last edited:

carolk

R.I.P
where would you draw the line Carol?
So its ok to grab a kid? Then is it ok to push him, hit him?

Ok to do the same thing to girls too? What age is it ok to do this to?

I reckon its a sign of an unreasonable temperament if the teacher has to resort to use of violence against the kid, even if he was a wee rat

I don't agree with caning or that kind of thing Phillip, I had board rubbers etc thrown at my head and was rapped on the back of the hand with rulers etc. (I was very naughty, apparently) its definitely not ok but, the scruff of the collar and frog marched out is not what I would consider unreasonable considering what teachers have to put up with these days.

I agree things had to change from the days when they could beat you.

If we are not careful we will have no teachers left!!

I agree 100% with carolk,,,holding onto a collar is hardly abuse,,,,its all very well sitting in judgment but how would you lot maintain order with a disruptive teenager in a classroom,,,,,this is the big problem in UK,,,no respect because these kids know "the do good brigade" will be out in force to support them,,,,I was slapped on the legs as a child,,my sons were also,,,,and we are all law abideing citizens with no psycological probs.

Saoirse

as I have said understand that point of view but where exactly do you draw the line.
Also if we are supposed to be teaching kids right from wrong what message does using violence send

saoirse,,,like i said,,,i was slapped if i was naughty,,,but i certainly understand right from wrong,,,and it didnt instill violence in me,,,the same with my children,,,and they are also law abideing adults now. I personaly think its a matter of common sense,,which seems to have gone out of the window in uk now.

Saoirse

unfortunately there are many cases where when some of these toe rags are convicted of violent crimes it stems from a history of nothing but violence at home etc.

Are you saying that if a kid does wrong at school you use violence (of any severity) That is saying violence is acceptable

Bottom line you cant say to kids violence is unacceptable then use it to them!

Saoirse

lol!

wouldnt even agree to do it with animals

use of violence to get someone to do something is either right or wrong

saoirse,,hi,,where are the statistics to proove your statement on violence in the home breeding violence,,,,its probably a complete lack of any form of discipline in the home. Of course i do not agree with violence,,but i do not believe a slap on the legs does any lasting harm to any child,,,common sense and moderation.

carolk

R.I.P
I was never smacked as a child at home and I never smacked my daughter, I just had to shout!

When teaching, I often had to teach disruptive kids. You can say 'OUT' get out of the class and as had been said to me 'make me, what you gonna do' and they just sit there and carry on as before. Your only option is to leave and dismiss the class as I have done many times. I don't know what the answer is but, to have to dismiss a group of hard working students because of one is not the answer but the only choice you have. What does that teach them?

Latest Posts

Top Bottom