pebble

Yemeni Justice
wow, that would be a deterent woulndt it? i say nothingf wrong with that........

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Yemeni Justice
Yes, nothing wrong with that, until you start to get past the anger; what they found in studies of this, was that a certainty of the death sentence made the criminal much more likely to kill the victim to avoid capture.
Ian

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Yemeni Justice
Yes, nothing wrong with that, until you start to get past the anger; what they found in studies of this, was that a certainty of the death sentence made the criminal much more likely to kill the victim to avoid capture.
Ian

what did the studies find re "the certainty of the death sentence made more potential criminals think twice before committing the crime" to avoid death

martin

Saoirse

Yemeni Justice
Time and time again studies/figures show that countries (States) with the death penalty have just as high a murder rate as those without.

From 1976 to 1996, the number of executions per year in the United States has increased from 0 to just under 60. The homicide rate per 100,000 population has remained constant at just under 10

Last edited:

Martyn

Yemeni Justice
Time and time again studies/figures show that countries (States) with the death penalty have just as high a murder rate as those without.

Probably agree with that but we(UK) wouldn't have to look after the b*******s for years.

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Yemeni Justice

I don't know enough to argue either way, but if that is the case does that justify the death sentence or just prove that it does not work if it does not effect the figures?

To answer another point that Martin raised, I don't think that criminals set out with that sort of logic - that is, they don't think they are going to get caught. If they had that ability to see cause and effect they probably would not be offending.

Ian

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Yemeni Justice
The homicide rate in those states with the death penalty is almost double the rate in states without the death penalty. It is not known whether this is due to:

People in high-homicide states demanding the death penalty as a perceived deterrent, or

Use of the death penalty by the state cheapens the value of life, and causes a higher homicide rate, or

Some other reason.

Facts about capital punishment - the death penalty

But, I still support the death penalty for certain offences !

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Yemeni Justice
Surely Shirley (?), they are witnesses to the sentence being carried out.

The fact that the execution is in public should also act as a deterrant.

Therefore the more people that see it, especially in a society that perhaps has less media coverage than in the west, the more chance that word will get round what punishment is being out for crimes.

It was good to see the presence of a doctor. Obviously the Yemenis have learnt from the west, and ensure that the prisoner is fit enough to be executed. Human Rights and all that!.

Last edited:
Yemeni Justice
The fact that the execution is in public should also act as a deterrant. Therefore the more people that see it, especially in a society that perhaps has less media coverage than in the west, the more chance that word will get round what punishment is being out for crimes.
the man who was executed is a Yemeni and therefore knew what would happen when he was caught...but it didnt stop him.

Guz1

Yemeni Justice
How could anyone be happy with such brutality? Knowing the penalty didn't stop him. Maybe knowing the penalty for rape led him to muder the child. The whole episode is sick from start to finish.

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Yemeni Justice
wonder how the murder rates and child rape rates compare in yemen or other countries, maybe the US isnt the yard stick we should be using.

martin

very much in favour of capital punishment for certain offences

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Yemeni Justice
So after raping and killing the child should he have been given a free holiday for the rest of his life in the Sana'a Hilton ?

Who's Human Rights are we safeguarding ?

Martyn

Yemeni Justice
I was being flippant Maria. Personally I want the death penalty for things like this but not dished out publicly but it seems to be a family affair there.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom