Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you use an estate agent who acts like this?
A year ago we bought a property in the Side area. We have had ongoing concerns regarding the agent we bought from. We have a contract with this agent that includes the following statement:

'Kale Turkish Properties will provide 24 hour after care service for the duration of the clients ownership of the property including advice and support with translation, correspondence, problem solving and purchasing relating to the property at no further cost'.

Over the year we have made reasonable requests asking our agent to liaise with the builder and other suppliers (eg furniture and curtains) and by this September we were still unhappy about the lack of progress and liaison. As a result our agent has now decided not to represent us any further, and sent the following email just before our recent visit to Turkey. As you will see, towards the end of the email she gives permission for the email to be published in the public domain, including on the Forum. We are now 'on our own' and have spent a major part of the last month, rather than relaxing in our new property, liaising with the builder and others to ensure our property is completed to our satisfaction, and are having some success. We think this email speaks for itself. Our advice to anyone buying in Turkey is choose your agent very carefully. Would you like an agent who treats you like this?

'Graham and Janice
This is ridiculous, we have been run ragged trying to get Irfan to do everything on your snagging list and when you actaully get here I know the house would not have been a mess. It will not be in the same state you left it because even if no-one had ever been inside it would not be. Turkey in summer is an incredibly dusty place and when Anne goes to air the place she opens windows and doors so, naturally all your surfaces and floors would have accumulated dust over the months no body has cleaned.
Obviously the workers need to finish their work before the house gets tidied up and I know there are no showers in this week because I told you that!
You own this property and you need to take responsibility for it. You need to start liasing with Irfan because to be quite honest you are the most unreasonable clients I have ever had and I'm sick to the back teeth of your complaining about problems which dont even exist yet. My job as an agent is in reality to sell you a property and ensure the deeds are issued to you in due course, therefore my job was actually completed months ago. Everything else I have been doing is actually a 'free gift' to help you. Cengiz was present to make notes on the snagging work so that we could help ensure everything got done. I offered his presence as a translator as a favour, it is certainly not part of our role as your agent. In fact translators are expensive here so we saved you hundreds of lira in that respect. Your property management company most certainly does not need to liase with Irfan because you are their employer and they can only take instruction from you. If you want the house cleaning, well, it's your house and you need to pay for it. You can expect what you like but you'll be in for a rude awakening!
The habitation certificate has not been issued yet so of course the utilities have not been transferred into your names. I tell you what though, we'll give you your money back when you come over and you can do it yourself because clearly we are not good enough for you. Actually, I will leave your 1,000 lira and the power of attorney we hold with Anne Paterson because I dont think I can even stomach seeing you again. I dont think I should leave it at the property in case a workman or Irfan gets a case of light fingers. We will take the money from the bank first thing Monday and void the POA.
We have gone out of our way to keep you happy and nothing is good enough. You have definately had your money's worth out of us over the past year...In fact most of what you have paid us has gone on diesel expenses running up and down to your site evey week to keep this work moving. I have never met such ungrateful people in all my life and this is the simply the final straw. Please try and take us to court if you want, I look forward to seeing you there because you haven't a leg to stand on. We have done much more for you than we have ever done for ANY other client previously.
I'm just glad that you didn't buy from another agent here because you wouldn't have had a tenth of the service we have provided. It's a real shame that you will never know that. You really should have never bought a property in Turkey because the way things work here will never come upto your standards and you are the type of people who expect to be spoon fed at every turn. Turkey is not a country where that happens. Things are always late here and never come up to British expectations and the sooner you realise that and live with it the better off you will be.
From now on I will ignore your emails and if you come to the office you will certainly not be welcome, I may even consider calling the Jandarma to have you physically removed from my premises because, believe it or not, we are in the right here. We have never been driven to cut off a client like this before, years after buying form us owners call us with plumbing emergencies or to help with insurance renewals etc and we pride ourselves on the fact that we are always there when people need help or advice. The difference between you and everyone else is that you seem to be the only people to never say thankyou and that just sickens me considering the extreme amount of work we have done for you over the past year. You create more problems than ever existed in the first place and I have always endeavored to sort them out. Most agents here would have lost their rag with you long ago.
It's a shame but you have pushed me way to far, I have tried to keep my patience with you and have gone out of my way to accomodate your unreasonable wants, but it ends now. Just stop and think for a moment about what an estate agent in the UK does, think about the role they perform. Then think about what we have done for you in comparison. Ann, Cengiz and I are all disgusted with your constant demands and blatent lack of gratitute. You are incredibly rude and difficult people and I only wish you had never bought from us in the first place. I mentioned in my last email that I have been off work sick a lot over the past month and you're not even human enough to say get well soon! We are not machines, we are people and there's only so much we can take. We have done everything you asked us to do and more, now we are just not willing to take any more from you.
Perhaps you should re-evaluate the work we have done for you and consider apologising. I guarantee you will not find any one else here who will help you as much as we have but I wish you luck trying. I sincerely hope you learn to relax a little and manage to take some enjoyment out of your beautiful Turkish home. Oh, and if you wish to publish this email in the public domain, i.e internet forums etc, please feel free, I would just ask that you publish it in its' entireity rather than taking selective parts out of context which is what you normally do to make us look bad intentionally.
We genuinely wish you all the best for the future because with the attitude you have you are going to find things extremely difficult in Turkey.

Regards
Sally, Ann and Cengiz

Kale Turkish Properties '

CJD

As a company owner I would say you have managed
to totally piss them off!!

civciv

I like the last word "regards"... not quiet appropriate in this case!

zozatky

Well Well . Sounds very familiar, Kale Properties Formerly Kale Emlak here in Kusadasi. From local gossip it seems they left a trail of problems & unhappy customers here to.Ie the usual Tapu not recieved , properties rented out without the owners knowledge & promised work not done ECt Ect.

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
did you say something to upset them ?

martin

We are not really getting both sides of the story here. It does sound like they have done a lot for you, in line with the statement you quoted. There was no need for their very personal comments, just a sign of lack of professionalism really. As for their comments about Turkish standards, it's a pretty lame excuse and perhaps Turkey needs to get it's act together, particularly if it wants to join the EU. But, and it's a big but, why have you paid all your money over when the property is clearly not finished and doesn't even have a habitation certificate? Do you have the tapu?It would be interesting to hear other people's experiences of the same company.

panther

Very unprofessional attitude of the estate agency. They/she could have written her e mail much more polite and with decorum. This e mail tells me an agency who states unprofessionalism should be avoided.

Maybe this e mail should be uploaded on Altinkum ripped off website.

Sickens me when agents lassoo buyers with such talks of being so much better than the next agent.

They never state the imperfections luring people into getting that sale as quickly as possible.

These agents especially Turkish don't realise how frustrated and worried people get when not residing themselves in the country. We can't handle the worries the way they do.

Last edited:

panther

One of the problems people have had is not getting hab. certs. and don't know anything about them until 2 years down the line.

When we get a tapu we think this is the finale and breathe a sigh of relief. Only to find out we bought a property under construction.
Now, good estate agents check builders paperwork to see if hab. cert. has been applied for. In many cases buyers have been left high and dry without this certificate.

The person above seems to not have hab. cert. either. Reading above the buyers will have to sort this out themselves.

I believe now since latest law the right box is ticked.

Last edited:
L

les&Tasha

Janice,

If you believed the opening paragraph about "24 hour after care" then you also believe in flying pigs and fairies at the bottom of the garden !

The only way you can control builders and emlaks is not to pay them until you are satisfied. Once they have your money you live with all the remaining problems. You will waste your money and years of your life trying to sue.

If you have paid the builder in full then best of luck getting the habitation certificate - you will need it. You will probably end up paying him thousands of Lira to get it! You should not have paid the final 50% until the snagging list was complete and the tapu (kat multiyeki including habitation certificate) was delivered. You will never get a snagging list completed after you have paid...

You should not pay the emlak until after the tapu is in hand. The only motivation they have in providing "after care" is to skim 15-20% of every lira you spend on furnishing, landscaping etc. No one offers to run around helping you for nothing. That's how things work in Turkey. You need to wise up to that.

You need to take responsibility for your own actions and solve your own problems.

Good luck. We hope you enjoy life here.

Last edited:

Saoirse

I must stress I do not know either party in this particular case and am making a general comment. I am not an agent either!

I do actually think people do at times expect too much from agents after the sale has been fully completed. i have heard of customers years after the sale still expecting to be waited on hand and foot.

We were very lucky with our agent and I do think it important to show genuine gratitude when it is merited

Again I must stress I know nothing of this particular case

panther

This agent should be seeing their client through to obtaining their habitation certificate. Legal living permission.

The AGENT as well as builder and client all sign the contract which states fulfilling agreement including tapu (hab. cert.).

How can any agent leave a client in this position.

bobthenob

Non Active Member
Not only would l not use an estate agent who acts like this.l will not use one at all personally.
But on the other hand l would recommend to others just one estate agent l have confidence in,that has proved to do an honest and professional job to please the client

soulmates2uk

gary and sharon
we used anne whilst in kusadasi to buy our home and since she moved, for remedial work...NEVER EVER AGAIN will we speak to or recommend this company

lemmy

this is a really bad way to treat people. it is bad enough treating customers like this but to actually put it in writing makes it all the worse. i would avoid them at all costs. i am sure there must be really good estate agents in side but these people give them such a bad reputation.

Squeaky

Good evening:

Like others who have posted comments, I don't know the people involved but I can imagine what has happened as I have met people who might warrant an e-mail similar to the one quoted through a friend who was involved in an emlak in Marmaris.

She tried her best to help people but there were some who just could not be satisfied - complain, complain as if her assistance was their god given right.

Of course, everyone on this forum know agents who are deserve the strongest criticism possible.

There are two sides to every story so............

Cheers

Squeaky

Yes, there are always 2 sides to any story, but it's difficult to find a reputable person to deal with in England, let alone Turkey, so when someone 'sells' their service on the basis that they're English and will look after your interests, beware. Reading the posts on this site make me very aware that we're not the only ones to have been treated badly. We're grateful to those who share their knowledge and advise on this Forum, and if it helps one person to choose a reputable agent then it's worth it.

kevkj

We used two seperate agents.Both based in kusadasi

One was brilliant with the buying process 9/10 then not so hot afterwards with problems5/10.this agent sells to 90% of the Brits.

The other 8/10 for buying and 8/10 aftersales .This was also not a normally used agent by the Brits.so very pleased.

Side Sid

After reading the stories about motif homes and this one are there any good agents in side?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom