IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
World Cup boycott?
Congratulations to Norway for leading the way, with discussions over a possible boycott of the Qatar world cup, over human rights issues. Personally I cannot see what is to be discussed when players are so openly 'taking the knee' How many of these players would boycott the WC if their country does not?
What do other TLF members think?

Kanga

World Cup boycott?
Congratulations to Norway for leading the way, with discussions over a possible boycott of the Qatar world cup, over human rights issues. Personally I cannot see what is to be discussed when players are so openly 'taking the knee' How many of these players would boycott the WC if their country does not?
What do other TLF members think?
I suggested a boycott months ago. Time for a refresher, thanks IA.

Camden

World Cup boycott?
Qatar. shouldn't have been allowed in the vote ,in the first place , known to allow terror financiers, to operate within its borders, known for giving financial support to the majority Islamist militia groups, that hijacked and ousted/infiltrated the moderate fighters in their equivalent of the Arab Spring in Syria. Some even say they have contact and gave support to ISIS. ...

But then again Qatar was chosen during the reign of the corrupt Sepp Blatter, so again money would have paved the way to host the World Cup ......

Last edited:

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
World Cup boycott?
Maybe we have a new collective noun for FIFA committee members..................a corruption of FIFA members

Camden

World Cup boycott?
If Qatar wants to become a showcase of a modern country hosting the World Cup ...lets hope they don't mind the criticism on not living up to their Constitution of Equal Rights For Women ..... and how will they explain the double standard applied when foreign women fans attend the World Cup will be treated differently than local women and their own laws ..... Like the Guardianship rules not law as per constitution but still applied ....

Qatar: Male Guardianship Severely Curtails Women’s Rights​

Discriminatory Restrictions Affect Independence to Marry, Study, Work, Travel

Qatar’s discriminatory male guardianship system denies women the right to make many key decisions about their lives, Human Rights Watch said in a report released today.

The 94-page report, “‘Everything I Have to Do is Tied to a Man’: Women and Qatar’s Male Guardianship Rules,” analyzes official male guardianship rules and practices. Human Rights Watch found that women in Qatar must obtain permission from their male guardians to marry, study abroad on government scholarships, work in many government jobs, travel abroad until certain ages, and receive some forms of reproductive health care. The discriminatory system also denies women the authority to act as their children’s primary guardian, even when they are divorced and have legal custody. These restrictions violate Qatar’s constitution and international law.

202103mena_qatar_maleguardianship_cover.jpg
March 29, 2021

“Everything I Have to Do is Tied to a Man”

Women and Qatar’s Male Guardianship Rules
https://www.hrw.org/sites/default/files/media_2021/03/appendix III.pdf

“Women in Qatar have broken barriers and achieved significant progress in areas such as education, yet they have to still navigate state-enforced male guardianship rules that limit their ability to live full, productive, and independent lives,” said Rothna Begum, senior women’s rights researcher at Human Rights Watch. “Male guardianship reinforces the power and control that men have over women’s lives and choices and may foster or fuel violence, leaving women few viable options to escape abuse from their families and husbands.”

Camden

World Cup boycott?

Finnish football player refuses to play match in Qatar for ‘ethical reasons’

Riku Riski, the Finnish forward who plays for HJK Helsinki club, said that he refuses to travel to Doha for a scheduled friendly match against Sweden on Tuesday for “ethical reasons.”

In an interview with newspaper Helsingin Sanomat, Riski said: “I got an invitation, then talked to the general manager and the head coach. They understood, but were of a different opinion.”

Although Riski didn’t elaborate on the exact reason why he made his decision, many speculate that it has to do with reports about Qatar’s harsh treatment of migrant workers.

“I stuck with my decision, and have nothing more to add. I was pretty clear, I didn’t want to go.”

Markku Kanerva, the Finnish national team’s manager, said he respects Riski’s decision but notes it may affect his performance.

“Riku refused the invitation and justified his decision,” Kanerva said.

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
World Cup boycott?
Qatar has failed to explain up to 70% of migrant workers deaths in recent years.
I can see us signing up for net flicks in 2022.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom