D

Deleted member 13863

Wood burning stoves
I'm hoping someone can help me.

We are thinking of spending some time in our apartment over the the next few winters but it only has heating from aircon units which is expensive and not very cozy. I was wondering if it's possible to buy the little wood burnt stoves anywhere in Yalikavak.

We don't have a fireplace or chimney but I know it is possible to just put a flue pipe in to replace the chimney. Well it's possible to do that here. My question is can it be vented out through the outer wall coz I don't think it would be possible to put it straight through the roof.

My other thought is whether there are any building regulations preventing stoves being fitted in this way in an apartment.

I tried to upload a picture of the little stoves I'm referring to but not sur it has worked.

Jolo

de1amo

Wood burning stoves
my brother in law installed a wood burner in his uk chalet style home with a flue that went out through the walls-it is permissisable in the uk and safe!-i

Wood burning stoves
Some of my friends who live in apartments in Turkey have wood burning stoves that they vent out a side wall, no problem. the good thing about these are they come to pieces and you can pack them away in the warmer weather.

D

Deleted member 13863

Wood burning stoves
We have one here in Ireland. It is a tiny little thing but it give out an amazing amount of heat. We would have perished here this winter with up to 3 weeks of minus 15 if we hadnt had it. If we could get one that small in yalikavak we would leave it up all year round. It looks really nice also.

Last edited by a moderator:

Number6

Wood burning stoves
The wood burning stoves are called sobas in Turkey they are widely available in various sizes and styles

lynne

Wood burning stoves
Few Turkish friends have these and flue goes through a hole in the wall that gets capped in summer.
They always have to paint the walls in springtime as the walls get discoloured !

D

Deleted member 13863

Wood burning stoves
Thanks all for your replies. And thank you Stelliebellie fir your pm. Unfortunately I hadn't considered that it mat not be possible to site a stove in a 1st floor apartment might there be issues regarding the weight of the stove or perhaps the floor could be reinforced to hold it . Maybe it's back to the drawing board for me

Number6

Wood burning stoves
Thanks all for your replies. And thank you Stelliebellie fir your pm. Unfortunately I hadn't considered that it mat not be possible to site a stove in a 1st floor apartment might there be issues regarding the weight of the stove or perhaps the floor could be reinforced to hold it . Maybe it's back to the drawing board for me

Reinforce the floor! It's a wood burning stove not a nuclear reactor:)

Akbuk Rob

Wood burning stoves
Reinforce the floor! It's a wood burning stove not a nuclear reactor:)
:larf:

If your floor is concrete it will be steel reinforced because you are 1st floor.
If the soba is top loading it will smoke when you remove the lid to add wood/coal, ones with front doors are best and cast iron. They look great and do the job (free if you scrounge wood).

I would however consider if the outlet pipe would affect any neighbours, for example if a close neighbour opens their windows would the wind blow it their way? Other than that go for it, there great!

Regarding this redecorating every year, we have a big cast iron soba with a front glass door in our lounge, we do not have to decorate every year. But ensure you have adequate ventilation or it will smoke. Make sure you clean out your outlet pipes every year or more often depending on its usage. If your pipes get blocked you don't want to wake up dead!

de1amo

Wood burning stoves
i am curious to know if there is a ready cheap supply of wood to burn in turkey? sobers i always thought were coal powered'

Wood burning stoves
The shop that sells washing machines etc just past bar 9 in Yalikavak had several different sobas on display outside in September, no idea of the price or quality though!

Chinook

Wood burning stoves
The location of flues that are terminated on the outside of a wall have to be very carefully considered so as to avoid backdrafts particularly in strong winds. Ours whilst exiting through the wall is connected to the flue of our BBQ and terminates above ridge level. You also need to fit a carbon monoxide detector.Its so cosy and warm that I cannot imagine life without it in Turkey in winter.

AkyakaNewYear017.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Wood burning stoves
My Hapenny worth..
Open fires are about 35 % efficient.
Pot bellied or basic cast iron burners are about 55% efficient. They get hot and easily heat up a space but they eat fuel.
Those not too good looking glass fronted burners that fit in fireplaces are good ish at about 70% efficient. (The very good looking burner in your picture is probs in the 70% range as well...which is good considering they are fairly cheap)
Expensive modern wood pellet burning heaters are already over 90% efficient.
It will be a clever guy who starts producing these pellets in Turkey as there is money to be made.
Keep as much of the pipe indoors before it exits the room and where possible insulate the pipe outside. This helps efficiency.

Last edited:

michellek

Wood burning stoves
I do not know a Turkish family who do not havea Soba in their house regardless of where their house / aprtments are on, i have in laws on the 7th floor in the city (they have a soba) The bog standard horrible looking brown ones are easily available everywhere, even at the market on a thursday all shapes and sizes. The nice wrought iron stoves are more expensive i have seen those in Tekzen (Gokcebel) starting from approx 600tl. There is also a wood yard opposite Tekzen so easy to get hold of fuel.
You said you wanted to feel cosy and that air cons didnt do that, a Soba will not heat your whole house , only really the room it is in,and be prepared to have to redecorate at the end of winter!

Wood burning stoves
:larf:

If your floor is concrete it will be steel reinforced because you are 1st floor.
If the soba is top loading it will smoke when you remove the lid to add wood/coal, ones with front doors are best and cast iron. They look great and do the job (free if you scrounge wood).

I would however consider if the outlet pipe would affect any neighbours, for example if a close neighbour opens their windows would the wind blow it their way? Other than that go for it, there great!

Regarding this redecorating every year, we have a big cast iron soba with a front glass door in our lounge, we do not have to decorate every year. But ensure you have adequate ventilation or it will smoke. Make sure you clean out your outlet pipes every year or more often depending on its usage. If your pipes get blocked you don't want to wake up dead!

Good advice. We redecorate every two years - but we would probably have to do that anyway. Ones with front doors burn hotter because of the psychological effect. Get a carbon monoxide (not a fire) detector, it could save your life. A long chimney can help warm most of your house. I have just put the last piece of wood I have on the Soba and am feeling a deep sense of loss.

:36le:

platts

Wood burning stoves
in reference to having a coal burning stove in your appartment .
we have recently asked for permission to build a chimney so we could put a wood burning stove in our appartment so as we can use it more in the winter .
but we have had an objection of wich i find rather petty as it would blend in with existing decor outside .maybe we can look at venting one outside we are a ground floor appartment maybe then who ever objected would prefer a chimney !!! ..

Wood burning stoves
Many residents have had these Soba multi fuel burner Stove fires fitted over winter in Didim and surrounding areas.
I have seen 2 sizes/sorts of Soba stove over the winter period.
The bascic fire sort with one ring on top is 295TL fitted.
The larger size with 2 cooking rings and a type of grill oven was 395TL fitted.
Prices included all flue pipe.

Last edited:

ZiaCa'

Wood burning stoves
-->: Wood burning stoves

I love my soba and I think unless you have central heating in Turkey, nothing else heats a room or area quite as well. As other members say, they need to be installed properly to minimise pollution and to get the most out of the heat.
Used properly I think indoor fumes/smoke should not be a problem, however, burning coal gave me migraines.
Wood pellets seem to be the latest clean and more efficient alternative to wood and I'm sure I've seen somewhere on Facebook that they are available here in Turkey.
Here's some info found on google.
Burn Wood Pellets .com | Buy wood pellet baskets to burn wood pellets in your wood stove or fireplace

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom