ceemac

Shake It Baby...
Winter Living in Turkey
For most people Turkey is synonymous with glorious summer sunshine, long sweltering days on the beach, temperate nights under starry skies – it is not a country most people associate with snow, rain-showers and grim winter landscapes and yet, because Turkey is gradually becoming a more attractive expatriate relocation destination, living in Turkey in the winter is a prospect more people are having to contend with.

If you're planning to relocate to Turkey, this article gives good advice on considerations to bear in mind when hunting for a place to live.

C

JEANNIE

Going to get Thinner
Winter Living in Turkey
That would be interesting for the member ApenMart to read as she was asking about families who live in Dalaman.

Jeannie

pldouglas

Winter Living in Turkey
I don't feel the cold that much (just the heat!) but I think the coldest I have ever been is the last 5 christmases spent in Turkey! The lack of insulation in the properties is the main problem, they have a damp cold feel which only turns to condensation when you put heating on. Although we live on the coast in UK and it is often windy, the winter gales in Yalikavak are enough to take the skin off your face. We stayed at home with the statutory meter thick wall insulation, log-burners and central heating last winter -bliss!

babsgood

Deemon in disguise
Winter Living in Turkey
I have been here for the last 3 winters and it is bloomin cold although only usually from about Jan to March I wear layers of clothing including jumpers and fleece and thats in the house!!! last winter we succumbed to an electric blanket.....what bliss. My husband has his hair cut very short and one night last winter he even wore a woolly hat to bed, however in saying that I do love winter here the air is clear and the mountains are green and because of the cold you feel alive, no more being molly coddled by central heating!!

GnD

Winter Living in Turkey
Wish we had read this prior to our March trip this year.

G and I often go in March and each time it has been fresh but really nice. However, earlier this year we were frozen solid! Just could not get warm but our mentality was not to use the air con for heat - don't know why must be our mental block for being on builders' rate still for these and not wanting it to cost a fortune.

We did not even have a duvet so layered everthing on the bed just to be warm enough to sleep. A trip to Mugla B&Q for an "ambient" heater sorted our problems but will organise a real fire for next year.

It's rather funny when we think back but at the time - oh no!

pldouglas

Winter Living in Turkey
The first christmas trip we made 5 years ago nearly caused a very rare argument between the dearly beloved and I. The reason was the 15 tog duvet, the 4 hotwater bottles and the thick fleeces I insisted on packing (also bought a good bottle of brandy on the way out) he is never slow to admit the wife might be right and on this occasion he must have admitted a thousand times that he was most grateful for me checking the forecast online before we set off.

Winter Living in Turkey
We spent a great end of October a couple of years back but not what we expected, a trip to the shops for fleecy blankets, lovely in the day for the first few days but then thunder and lighting for 5 days not too cold in the days but freezing at night time, they were the most fantastic storms we have ever seen.

We stocked up with good food and wine and snuggled down with all the dvd box sets we never had time to watch at home as I said not what we were expecting and cant say I would like much more than a week of it but one of the most relaxing hols we have had.

Jane

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
Winter Living in Turkey
I cant get the link it says i'm not connected to the internet !!!
Any way i've been over in Nov Dec Jan and Feb I now have left some wellys for the heavy rain plus a raincoat = pac a mac type for over my coat . A fan heater . ect ect If you take them in the summer when your clothes are lighter then you'll be prepared for winter . Izmir in feb was the coldest Followed by fethiye Alanya was a lot warmer . January in beleck i wore a T shirt in the day . But a pair of wellys is a must for those storms that run like a river down the streets right over your shoes ! I couldn.t find anyone that dose cavity wall insulation . As anyone else found a firm ? if so pls pm me . As i don't think your allowed to put it on the forum . Diane

pldouglas

Winter Living in Turkey
You need a cavity to have cavity wall insulation i.e. a gap between the inner and outer walls. Many Turkish properties (most?) don't have a cavity, they are just single skin, which is why they are ****** cold and damp in winter and hotter than they need to be in the summer!
I've never worked out why there are so many lousy builds in turkey when you bear in mind it is one of the oldest inhabited countries on earth - you would have thought they might have got it right by now.

pebble

Winter Living in Turkey
Ceemac, great article, and so very true. How is it you come up with such informative and thought provoking posts like this one???????

When we first came back to turkey (bodrum) i had no idea what to expect in April. I had always associated Bodrum with sun/sea and hot miserable days.......it sure as hell wasnt like that in april. But then again, i was used to winters in Izmir, which is where i had spent my childhood, and we lived in a normal year round house.

My husband had come over ahead of us to open the pharmacy, rent a place for us to live in, furnish it etc. so we came to what would be our home.
One of the things I remember so strongly is how cold the floors were (tile) the cold coming thru the walls (insulation - lack of) and the general feel of not being able to get warm.
mind you, during the day, we didnt have the cloudcover we have in the Pacific Northwest, we didnt have the ever present mist, sitting out on the balcony under the sun was glorious. Having a coffe at an outdoor cafe was heaven.

then we went back to the states to get ready to move back in july.

We learned to adapt, we bundled up, and things just fell into place. I would go to kos with the foreign Ladies of bodrum and stock up on things we couldnt get in Turkey.

Truly, the past 7-8 years in Turkey were some of the best years.
My inlaws were in Izmir, so i went up there quite often in the winter and did things that i couldnt do in bodrum.......

And such a different lifestyle to the one I had fallen into in the States. You know how you get into a rut, and every day is the same as the other one.

Well....get out of your rut..............

Winter Living in Turkey
Hi,

Last Xmas time in Dalaman was freezing-literally. I got up early one morning to find everything frozen and white. It was so bitterly cold in our bedroom that I thought my leg had been amputated as I couldn't feel it at all-but it was just lack of duvet-which had been stolen by my caring husband!

Honestly-it was so cold and damp that we're staying in the UK this Xmas. I'm sure it'll be warmer in Milton Keynes.

I've lived through winters in Northern Cyprus and it's just as cold/wet/miserable there.

On the positive side-it may be grim and cold but compared to UK winters it's short-and the rest of the year more than makes up for it.

Ann

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Winter Living in Turkey
Even if there's a frost in the morning, we've generally got a whole day of beautiful sunshine to look forward to here in Turkey. :3:

enigma

Winter Living in Turkey
I have met many people who have gone to live in Turkey who naively think that it is warm all year round and one couple even threw all their winter clothes away before relocating. It is important to do research. We have a home in Hisaronu and usually visit at New Year. We are very cosy with our electric blanket and duvet, both brought from UK as they are generally better than those you can purchase in Turkey. Yes Wellies are a must also for the torrential rain. I bought my pink with black polka dots from our local factory shop for about £9 and feel very trendy (I am 55) when I wear them. So a very good thread started here for anyone going to live permanently in Turkey.

magpie

magpie
Winter Living in Turkey
Is there any way of insulating from the inside, ie with a type of plasterboard? Is it true that winter only lasts truly for three months - Jan Mar?

pebble

Winter Living in Turkey
mag, it depends where u are.
the turks hang up kilims on the walls. kins of like we used to hang quilts up on the walls to ward off the cold n damp.....

pldouglas

Winter Living in Turkey
You can buy a sort of polystyrene on a roll which is used as insulating - bit like think Celotex. You put it up like wallpaper. Friends of ours used it in thier damp bedroom and have not had a problem over the past 3 winters.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom