Lindacm

Winter drive to U.K
I hope some of you who have driven to the U.K can give us some advice?

We need to spend 3-4 months in the U.K from Dec; (our daughter is expecting our 3rd grandchild), we are thinking of driving back due to the cost of carhire for that time. We are trying to weigh up the costs between driving, long term rental & buying a used car whilst there.

Has anyone driven back during the winter that can offer us any advice on the following:

1) Route.
2) Costs involved for everything needed for the trip.
3) Approx. fuel costs..our petrol car does approx 35mpg
4) Hotel costs.

We plan to drive direct, the best route possible for the time of the year.
Any other advice that you can offer.

:438qr: Thanks,

Linda

Smiler

Winter drive to U.K
Hi Linda

I suggest you PM dalid69. He's driven this route several times. Theres also a thread detailing this.

Gary

JEANNIE

Going to get Thinner
Winter drive to U.K
Hi, paul {dalid69} has a post on his driving to UK on here somewhere, maybe you can try that.

Jeannie

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Winter drive to U.K
The important thing about driving back the UK during winter is to make sure that you a) have a set of snowchains b) practice putting them on.

Many roads through Europe can become difficult to drive without them and in some cases because of local byelaws you aren't allowed on them without snowchains.

Lindacm

Winter drive to U.K
The important thing about driving back the UK during winter is to make sure that you a) have a set of snowchains b) practice putting them on.

Many roads through Europe can become difficult to drive without them and in some cases because of local byelaws you aren't allowed on them without snowchains.

Hi KKOB,

Yes, we thought snow might be a problem. Where we lived in the U.K we rarely saw snow, so we are not at all used to driving in it.

Any idea where we could purchase snow chains if we decided to proceed with the drive?

Thanks,

Linda

Oh dear, as I thought, my husband is not happy at the thought of snow chains! Anyone had any experience on using them?

Last edited by a moderator:

SuperBogs

I miss you Pebble
Winter drive to U.K
Oh dear, as I thought, my husband is not happy at the thought of snow chains! Anyone had any experience on using them?

I have owned the normal cheap ones you see almost every in Turkey and not only were they a pain to put on they were always in need of adjustment every so often. That's my experience with them, but it was limited to just a few times. Installing them properly was a real pain also. I have seen some better quality ones around though and they most probably work and install much better.

Biker Bob

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Winter drive to U.K
If your husband's not happy about using snowchains then I suggest you forget about doing the trip in the winter.

I'm not saying that you're definitely going to have to use them, but you certainly need to be equipped with them and be capable of fitting them if required. You also need to be prepared for far more severe conditions than you'd get in the UK.

I got caught in a blizzard between Kutahya and Bozuyuk a couple of years ago and even 4X4 vehicles with snowchains were finding the going very difficult. In the end I had to turn back and use the coast road to get to Istanbul.

dalid69

Winter drive to U.K
Hi Linda

I drove back to dalaman last month again,bit of a hiccup on route(lost passports) slight deviation back to uk for passports etc etc did 3700miles instead of 2600 miles it is to dalaman from manchester so this might give you an idea on fuel costs,our car does 60mpg being a low emmission peugeot 206,im not back in dalaman till after the 5th of may but will help you plot a route and talk you through the ins and outs of the trip.

Paul

Johnjo

Winter drive to U.K
Hi Paul
I too would be interested in the driving from manchester I have an apartment in akbuk, how long does it take ???
John

Lindacm

Winter drive to U.K
I have owned the normal cheap ones you see almost every in Turkey and not only were they a pain to put on they were always in need of adjustment every so often. That's my experience with them, but it was limited to just a few times. Installing them properly was a real pain also. I have seen some better quality ones around though and they most probably work and install much better.

Biker Bob

Thanks BikerBogs,

I think we wont travel if snowchains are involved.

Thanks for your input.

Linda

Lindacm

Winter drive to U.K
If your husband's not happy about using snowchains then I suggest you forget about doing the trip in the winter.

I'm not saying that you're definitely going to have to use them, but you certainly need to be equipped with them and be capable of fitting them if required. You also need to be prepared for far more severe conditions than you'd get in the UK.

I got caught in a blizzard between Kutahya and Bozuyuk a couple of years ago and even 4X4 vehicles with snowchains were finding the going very difficult. In the end I had to turn back and use the coast road to get to Istanbul.

Hi KKOB,

I think we have decided against the winter trip if we have the need of snowchains. We can appreciated the conditions, as I have experienced something like it in Romania some years back.

Someone has suggested that we take a smll ferry from Bodrum-Kos, then Kos-Anconda/Italy. From there to Calais-Dover ferry. With no mention of snow chains being needed. Is this a trip you have made?

Thanks,

Linda

Lindacm

Winter drive to U.K
Hi Linda

I drove back to dalaman last month again,bit of a hiccup on route(lost passports) slight deviation back to uk for passports etc etc did 3700miles instead of 2600 miles it is to dalaman from manchester so this might give you an idea on fuel costs,our car does 60mpg being a low emmission peugeot 206,im not back in dalaman till after the 5th of may but will help you plot a route and talk you through the ins and outs of the trip.

Paul

Hi Paul,

You are quite the expert on driving to the U.K :9:, thanks for the reply.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your passports, that was not so good.

Wow, I wish our car did 60mpg, ours only does 35mpg.

We have to travel back at this time, in fact we do actually have a flight already booked for 21st Dec; In the mean time my daughter has told us that she is expecting our 3rd grandchild in Dec; and would like us back for an extended visit to help out.

We are planning a 3-4 month trip and the cost of car hire woulexpensive...hence the thought of driving at this time. If driving we would go the 1st week of Dec; although we have now been put off this idea due to weather condition and the need for snowchains.

Another route has been suggested, please see my previous post. Might need to pick your brain upon your return...in return for a coffee??:9:

Thanks,

Linda

ZiaCa'

Winter drive to U.K
Another idea could be a ferry from Turkey to Italy (you can also go from Cesme to Brindisi) drive up to border at Ventimiglia (Italy) into the south of France. Unlikely you will come across any snow, unless you chose to take any mountainous routes!

Sara-666

Winter drive to U.K
Another idea could be a ferry from Turkey to Italy (you can also go from Cesme to Brindisi) drive up to border at Ventimiglia (Italy) into the south of France. Unlikely you will come across any snow, unless you chose to take any mountainous routes!

Does the Cesme/Brindisi ferry run all year round, we got told it stopped over the winter months?

Sara

ZiaCa'

Winter drive to U.K
Does the Cesme/Brindisi ferry run all year round, we got told it stopped over the winter months?

Sara

That's right Sara - just checked it. The route between Patras (mainland Greece) and Ancona operates during the winter months.

dalyansteve

Winter drive to U.K
I am not bothered about snow, but would like to know the ins and outs of driving a Turkish registered MD plate car to England. Has anyone done this? If so what is required document wise and where do you get them etc.? I am assuming the routes through eastern Europe will be reasonably clear of snow because of the large number of vehicles, trucks, carrying Turkish product to Europe and the UK on a daily basis.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Winter drive to U.K
Provided that you have Green Card Insurance for your Turkish registered vehicle, you don't need anything special. Just make sure you have the rhusat and all the relevant bits and you shouldn't have any problems.

I was surprised how little attention my vehicle attracted especially when entering Dover customs and immigration from Calais.

Lindacm

Winter drive to U.K
That's right Sara - just checked it. The route between Patras (mainland Greece) and Ancona operates during the winter months.

Hi Carla,

Cesme ferry would have been good, however it does not operate during Dec;

The one you quoted, where does that go from? Any likelyhood of snow encounters? :438qr:

Linda

ZiaCa'

Winter drive to U.K
Hi Carla,

Cesme ferry would have been good, however it does not operate during Dec;

The one you quoted, where does that go from? Any likelyhood of snow encounters? :438qr:

Linda

Hi Linda

Have pm'd you map etc.

Cx

Latest Posts

Top Bottom