immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Windows 11
I am getting a message saying my computer will not run Win11. Looking into it, I could probably change some things that would make it run, but I can not be bothered.

Reading papers, millions of people worldwide are getting the same message, which is described as an "Error message". Seems MS have introduced an upgrade that most of its customers can not use without major upgrades to the hardware - and I guess they will not bother either.

Ian

MiddleEarth

MiddleEarth
Windows 11
Windows 7 to Windows 10 was a simple upgrade and the majority of computers could be upgraded

Windows 10 to Windows 11 seems to be Microsoft or PC manufacturers want most people to buy a new computer in order to use windows 11

Check for compatibility​

Use the PC Health Check app to see if your current PC meets the requirements to run Windows 11. If so, you can get a free upgrade when it rolls out.

Now Microsoft’s app will say why your PC isn’t ready for Windows 11​

Personally I wouldn''t bother with windows 11 until your computer dies and needs replacing or you want to replace after 2024 when Microsoft stop providing updates including security updates on Windows 10
Or wait for Windows 365:
Microsoft last week introduced Windows 365, a new service that lets the company cut partners out of the money-making loop by providing virtual PCs to customers.

Microsoft says to expect Windows 365 on Aug. 2. That's for business. It's likely that Microsoft will offer the service to consumers and very small shops — sole proprietorships, say — at some point. But that's not going to happen right out of the gate.

Microsoft will charge a flat monthly rate per user, rather than basing the cost on the amount of activity

On what devices can we run these virtual desktops?
Microsoft hasn't issued a declarative list, but in its many musings on Windows 365 it's mentioned everything from Windows 10- and 11-powered PCs, Macs (including, one has to assume, those with Apple's native silicon) and Linux machines to iPhones, iPads and Android devices. Presumably, Chromebooks will be in there somewhere, too.

Tenpin

The Yorkshireman
Windows 11
Or wait for Windows 365:

Depends if you want to pay once for a Licence or monthly for a Service.

It's a good idea and could be extended to tablets and mobiles OS's running as a service.

It will however have a number of downsides....infrastructure speeds to name just one.

But overall it's a reasonable idea, if priced right for the majority of consumers, since you won't have to keep buying more powerful hardware (laptops, tablets etc).

Lets see if someone provides the same for Linux.

MiddleEarth

MiddleEarth
Windows 11
Depends if you want to pay once for a Licence or monthly for a Service.

It's a good idea and could be extended to tablets and mobiles OS's running as a service.

It will however have a number of downsides....infrastructure speeds to name just one.

But overall it's a reasonable idea, if priced right for the majority of consumers, since you won't have to keep buying more powerful hardware (laptops, tablets etc).

Lets see if someone provides the same for Linux.
Agreed, what is compelling is that virtualization allows you to run Windows and Linux on a Mac or Chromebook. Chromebooks are outselling Macs over 2 to 1 in the USA (Unfortunately not yet available in Turkey). I have a 4 GB RAM Chromebook and I so far have been able to run any Linux app I need at comfortable speeds. I seldom need a Linux app but the ones I do (Transmission as example for torrents) run smoothly on my little MediaTek 4 GB machine. I can also run Windows and MacOS on it as a service (I have no need for Win or Mac apps but someone else might). Many Chromebooks now come with 8GB RAM, up to 256 GB SSD's, i3 to i7 and Ryzen processors with gaming graphics. Most of those beasts are under $1,000 USD.

Tenpin

The Yorkshireman
Windows 11

Windows 10 and 11 move to the cloud with Microsoft's Windows 365 Cloud PC, available now​

Extract:
Windows 365 Cloud PC was first unveiled in July, and plans are generally available to organizations starting Aug. 2. Windows 365 Business and Enterprise Cloud plans start at $31 per user per month.

Maisie

Windows 11
Anyone else, apart from me, who doesn't understand the last few posts? I do try, honest!

Won't affect me, at present, as I have a Mac.

Maisie

Latest Posts

Top Bottom