Struggs

Recycled Teenager
Windows 10 again (sorry)
As some of you will remember when I had to get a new computer I struggled with windows 10, for several months now I have got on with it, hit a few problems but got them sorted. Never liked it but now, absolutely hate it. Being on capped usage I have to do updates after midnight (free usage), Fri. night just past midnight I had 2 updates, when all this was done the computer was switched off as usual.

Yesterday, got on computer, error codes showing, could not access mail, error saying not synched?? (google search brought up others that have experienced problems with updates), I attempted to get into update history to delete the latest, as soon as this opened it closed again, impossible to do. I always create restore points, so went to do this, got 'your computer has been updated, no restore points! (what is the ruddy point of having this, then).

I had no option than to reset my computer, needless to say I am distressed, as lost a lot of downloaded stuff, which I was unable to back up.

Sorry for the rant, but I now have a few problems, which I have searched on google, but not found a solution.

I downloaded shaplusbandwidth again, I find this the easiest to use, but despite being set up, it is not recording my usage. I uninstalled and reinstalled, checked settings, cannot get it to record usage. Please can anyone help.

I will not be using windows mail again, I like to keep some e'mails for a while like I did in outlook express, but find no matter what I try, they get deleted after 30 days and NOT by me. I understand that you cannot use outlook successfully with 10, so is there an alternative, similar to outlook that I can use?

I am now trying firefox again, that has changed but I do find it faster. Unfortunately I do have to used Edge for some things, microsoft has made it harder to change your home page from bing search, I have tried all the suggestions, and even though I have google as my default, it still opens up in bing, any help here would be appreciated.

Despite altering settings, checking start up, scanning computer etc. I have never managed to sort out the usage, without any browsers open usage is recording. I used 100-200mb daily with XP, with 10 my usage is over 300mb every day, and I have cut out some sites I used to visit as I only have 10gb per month, cannot afford to go on uncapped.

Any help or suggestion gratefully appreciated. Diane

chris

Windows 10 again (sorry)
All the updates I get screw something up latest one is I can't open links in emails.

Struggs

Recycled Teenager
Windows 10 again (sorry)
Microsoft should fully check before they send out theses updates, I am sick of it all, not sure if I will update again, and will never buy a Microsoft OS computer again. Still trying to sort everything out, still cannot get shaplusbandwidth meter to work. Now cannot use firefox as every search engine comes up insecure on their web.

ted j

Windows 10 again (sorry)
I have all updates turned off
I crap clean every day and run a malwarebytes scan once a week and in nearly 3 years have had no problems
Before this every update seemed to cock up something

Struggs

Recycled Teenager
Windows 10 again (sorry)
Well up to now I got my usage right down to an acceptable level, as now have most things turned off and do not use windows 10 mail.

But, I when I had to reset my computer I got adguard which was a trial session and has now expired. Originally I used Adblockplus from Microsoft, so am trying to download that again, but I need to sign in (or create a Microsoft account), I am pretty sure that I did not have to do this before. I have a Hotmail outlook email addy, but if I use this, it changes my computer start up name etc. which I do not want.

Any help, I may well have had to set up an account originally when I got this computer (can't remember), but if I did not sure which e'mail address I used, as it will not accept the 2 others I have.

sgreat

Loveing Life !!
Windows 10 again (sorry)
I would use caution when installing 360totalsecurity...it has a reputation... Very difficult to remove, and doesn't appear to have an uninstaller..
Also has issues with the supplied utilities...

See Here!!

Last edited:

evo80

Windows 10 again (sorry)
I would use caution when installing 360totalsecurity...it has a reputation... Very difficult to remove, and doesn't appear to have an uninstaller..

See Here!!

Ah Well ,can only say when I had Mc Afee [paid for ] I kept getting problems . since I had it uninstalled and had 360 I have had no problems . Maybe just lucky .He reckons he has downloaded it onto loads of customers PC,s

sgreat

Loveing Life !!
Windows 10 again (sorry)
Ah Well ,can only say when I had Mc Afee [paid for ] I kept getting problems . since I had it uninstalled and had 360 I have had no problems . Maybe just lucky .He reckons he has downloaded it onto loads of customers PC,s

Its a nightmare trying to find reliable and safe software, especially antivirus and anti malware stuff.. I've pretty much tried them all over the years, non of them do what they say on the tin... But imo I'm extremely wary of any software that gets bundled onto other software for installation...Like Mc Afee and 360!!

Thats not to say its bad software....just sneaky horrible marketing... However in the case of 360 its got a bad rap, becuase it is both dangerous, and marketed sneakily..... Proceed with caution!! is all im saying!!

evo80

Windows 10 again (sorry)
Its a nightmare trying to find reliable and safe software, especially antivirus and anti malware stuff.. I've pretty much tried them all over the years, non of them do what they say on the tin... But imo I'm extremely wary of any software that gets bundled onto other software for installation...Like Mc Afee and 360!!

Thats not to say its bad software....just sneaky horrible marketing... However in the case of 360 its got a bad rap, becuase it is both dangerous, and marketed sneakily..... Proceed with caution!! is all im saying!!

Will do . BUT I been on it a year with no probs . So touch wood .

Struggs

Recycled Teenager
Windows 10 again (sorry)
Has anyone had any experience with Ublock? I have searched the web but cannot find any others for windows 10 edge.

Forgot to mention, Microsoft say adblock is free, but when I was installing it yesterday, there were boxes to tick to give a donation, not sure if you can get past that as I then immediately came out of the programme.

Think Microsoft need to look up the meaning of 'freedom of choice', we pay for our computers, now they dictate what will work or not.

ted j

Windows 10 again (sorry)
A good friend of ours once told me (she had worked with computers all her adult life)
"Microsoft want you to buy their computers , but want you to have them set how THEY want"
If you go on Firefox, click the logo top left and select "add ons" you can get adblock and adblock plus from there free

They both amalgamate into the one button on your toolbar, easy to switch on and off and if you don't want an ad, click on the button, select "add an element to hide", draw a line around it and it's gone forever

Last edited:

Struggs

Recycled Teenager
Windows 10 again (sorry)
Ted, I uninstalled firefox, had too many problems with each search engine, showing as untrustworthy, got fed up with it. So back to Edge.

Windows 10 again (sorry)
I have all updates turned off
I crap clean every day and run a malwarebytes scan once a week and in nearly 3 years have had no problems
Before this every update seemed to cock up something
How do you turn windows 10 updates off? according to windows, you cannot!!

Struggs

Recycled Teenager
Windows 10 again (sorry)
There are only certain browsers I can use, survey sites I use do not support the lesser known ones. Looks like I might have to go with firefox again, just fed up with it all and trying to sort it all out.
I read on the internet yesterday that windows 10 edge is supportive of ads, they are not joking, every site I use, and have been for years are now full of ads, never used to be. This is causing my usage to go mad again.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom