ceemac

Shake It Baby...
Will Turkey Shun The West?
This is something I've been thinking about recently.

With the EU accession talks slowed to a snail's pace, and the appetite for joining the EU from ordinary Turks rapidly declining, do you think that door is gradually closing?

In that scenario, (and I would have to say it's more likely than not to happen at this point), I'd be concerned that Turkey would really turn against the West, and that could have huge implications for those of us living and having an investment there.

The signs aren't terrible encouraging - there's an Islamic leaning government and Presidency, and the power the military wield I feel is being slowly but surely eroded.

I desperately hope I'm completely wrong, but this feeling of unpredictableness as regards Turkey just won't go away for me.

Am I just paranoid?

C

bobthenob

Non Active Member
I was thinking on the same lines of that.lt makes me wonder about the future of living in Turkey if there is a party in power more on the lslamic side that doesn’t favour the western way of life.
Turkey has received Billions from the E.U to change it’s way to qualify for the E.U shortly.Turkey has signed the agreements and if they do a U turn in thinking now,then this is an act of betrayal.
If they have no intentions of entering the E.U would they give all that money back the E.U has given them.But l do believe they will enter the E.U becaue the E.U needs Turkey to fuel the European countries.Turkey borders oil rich countries from the east and has a major oil pipeline running straight through the country from the east to the west towards the sea of Mamara.Feeding the big oil tankers and shipped to the western countries.
So!,the hunger for oil will keep the gates open for Turkey to join shortly.

Last edited:
I feel there's a little bit of having cake and eating it syndrome in Turkey...they want a return to Islamist governance and more traditional values but in the same vein they know the technological and financial advantages of being aligned with Europe (and how this will further develop their relationship with the US). Turkey is already so different from most other Islamic countries...
There is so much that Turkey has to do before it becomes acceptable in the eyes of the EU...
I do think it will take a long time to come to fruition but have a feeling that it will

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
I think a problem for them is that Turkey is like two countries - the west is like, well, the west, and the east is more like a 'proper' Muslim country as perceived by us.

I know that's far too simplistic but you know what I mean.

C

Guz1

Something that strikes me as very peculiar when talking to my Turkish neighbours is that the more conservative, traditional types are pro-EU while those who are less traditional in their ways are anti-EU (not just anti-EU - some of them are downright xenophobic).

I don't think that the majority of EU states are all that enthusiastic about Turkey's bid for membership. Britain is one of the few countries in favour. I have heard it said that Britain's support has much to do with their desire to lessen France and Germany's influence within the EU.

geordie_nev

Since Necmettin Erbakan was kicked out of power all of Turkey’s religious parties (including AKP) accept Turkey as being a secular state. All talk of Turkey becoming an Islamic state taking Sharia law etc are grossly exaggerated in my view.

Since Erbakan stepped down in the “soft” coup of 97 the conservatives in Central Anatolia have become increasingly pro-European.

What is a worry to the whole Eu process is that the Nationalist in Turkey are being increasingly Nationalistic as a backlash to the both the rise of AK and the EU process.

A lot is made of the current government being a danger to Turkey (due to their islamic past) but it’s the nationalist that are becoming increasingly anti European and are being increasingly regressive in their thinking. Nationalism opposes any new ideas and any liberal reform.

As an example, recently some of the government offices have been criticized for showing favouritism to religious groups like the Gulen movement – a warding lucrative contracts to Gulen members etc. to combat this the EU recommend the government office create an ombudsmen to help ensure fair play. Because it was recommend by the EU then CHP constantly voted against it.

I’m sure its going to be a long slow process but the door is far from closed actually they seem to be ironing out a lot of the big issues now, like the military's role. Personally I see the rise of Turkish Nationalism as a danger and may hold Turkey back, I even see it a lot in my Turkish friends in London who are becoming increasingly more nationalist.

In some ways the sad thing is with Turkish politics is that people tend to think very much in Black and White terms, there tends to be little compromise between the two sides. Worryingly recent surveys in Turkey show that people are becoming more xenophobic probably as a consequence of the pace of change in Turkish socitey.

I agree with bob in the signing of the Nabucco pipeline last week will change the complexion of Turkey and Europe. It’ll also be interesting to see Russia response.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom