pipermam

Will Kindle Kill Books ?
Hi I don"t think it will. I'm an avid reader and love books. One of my oldest memories is sitting on my granny's knee while she read to me. I have no recollection of the stories she read but I do remember the book. It had really thin pages that were browning around the edges. Many years later, after her death I looked for the book in her house but couldn't find it but my aunts could remember her reading it to them when I described it.
Now, when I go to Turkey for 2 months every summer the problem is how to bring enough books to last the holidays so I invested in a Sony E-Reader. I love it. It is wonderful, no more luggage problems, easy to use etc........ but it's not a book, it is the solution to a transport problem. It would look very lonely on my bookshelf all on it's own.
An afternoon sitting at the computer downloading new books can't compare to going to my local bookshop and spending a couple of hours browsing, sitting in a "squashy" couch with a cup of coffee browsing the latest travel guide to Turkey to see what part of it do I want to visit next.
And what about the ease of lending the books to friends. It is not so easy to share them with your friends, unless you all buy the same brand of e-reader, because there are different downloads for the different brands.
For me, a book is a lot more than the written word. It is a treasure and 160 of them stored in an e-reader just doesn't give me the same warm feeling as seeing the same books ranged on the shelves of my living room.

icebern09

Fighting "The Beast"
Will Kindle Kill Books ?
I think there is room for both. I would love to be able to carry all my favourite books in one place, never to lose a book again, easy to transport from place to place.

However, it wouldn't for me, be able to replace the excitement I get when I pick up a new book, smell it (Yes smell it) and feel it in my hands, all before I settle down to soak it all up.

louise17

Will Kindle Kill Books ?
sorry if a bit of a thick question, but can you download the books in turkey on the sony ereader as when I looked at the kindle it said turkey was not covered. Would be a great solution to the book issue.
Louise

pipermam

Will Kindle Kill Books ?
Hi Louise, I'm not sure but I just go the online bookshops and download to my computer. I use an English bookshop and an American one, but I have done this from home in Ireland I haven't tried it in Turkey. The American bookstore has free downloads so you can try one of these to see if it will download in Turkey for you.

thingthong

Will Kindle Kill Books ?
My greatest loss is the brillant books,i have read and then lost during my travels.I so which the kindle was around before now,and my proud collection of books would NOT be lost for ever..
Embrace the change i say.............but also dont forget the humble book ....

Akasya

Postless Pointer
Will Kindle Kill Books ?
Hi, you can download e books any where, you choose the language of your choice. There are several formats, mirroring Apples DRM, digital rights management. Bit like Betamax, Philips 2000 and VHS. All formats can be converted via free software. I use a Bookeen Cybook, download all my books, open them with " Word " or " Open Office " and save them as .txt format. This is readable by all PC's , phones , e book readers etc.

I do think eventually paper reading will diminish greatly. Newspapers are dying, the carbon footprint of paper books is awful. Write a book, cut out the publisher, distributor, bookshop etc. Publish online, much more cost effective. Sad but true.

Steve.

Last edited:

Sara-666

Will Kindle Kill Books ?
I bought a Sony e-book after reading about them on here, they are wonderful but will never replace books. I still go to the book sales around Bodrum but the e-book reader means I can enjoy all the latest books from England without the hassle of transporting them back with me, leaving more room in my case for important things like toys for the children. Funny swopping between one and the other though, when I first had the reader I wanted to physically turn pages, after reading a few books on this and swopping back to reading a paperback I was constantly trying to press a button on the book that didnt exist! I've got to say though if I lived in the UK all year I wouldn't have invested in the e-reader.

Sara

Number6

Will Kindle Kill Books ?
Don't think that it will ever replace books, but a usefull gadget if you travel a lot or live in a country like Turkey where English language books are harder to come by.
I would be tempted but the price needs to come down a bit first!
The other thing that occurs is that if you drop a book - no harm done, but I don't think the Kindle will come off so well....

Akasya

Postless Pointer
Will Kindle Kill Books ?
This is exactly the same argument that was trotted out when CD's came along. All of the LP cover, notes, tactile feeling of an Lp, better sound etc.... arguments ended as CD's killed em stone dead.

Then online download for music will never finish off the CD, true for the moment but CD sales are slowing down just as online downloading goes through the roof.

It is not about us but the kids, kids bookstores are closing wholesale, mainly because young people want it .... now, instantly, electronically... not lied to by the mail order supplier who subsequently says via e mail ( instant,,, now ) sorry our 7 days is now 28.

Yeah bet that really impresses the now generation.

Can i download it now, ok i'll have it. It is the future.

Local libraries are now going online, wonder why. Google wants to put all books online, somebody must feel there is a future in downloading.

Steve.

Will Kindle Kill Books ?
some time ago we had a thread about 'readers' and i really wanted one..Steve gave some good advice at that time and İan too...its was the price at the time that stopped me buying one.....anyway ive now been given a present (maybe to make up for the misery we have been having).....and its a Sony Reader.
Then i was told by sony i couldnt download books outside of a geographical area...i can download public domain books easily enough although im not much good at knowing what different file types mean...im getting my head around pdf 'so far.
Any further tips would be appreciated...as for paper backs versus Reader..give me a reader anytime ..especially in bed.

Sara-666

Will Kindle Kill Books ?
I tend to buy from e-bay on cd then get them posted out, I got 47 James Patterson books posted to Turkey on cd for £3.25, Dan Brown cd, 4 books for £2. OK if you don't want the latest releases, although I haven't tried Waterstones or WHSmiths yet. When I e-mailed Waterstones though they said it wouldn't be a problem, they send it by e-mail to your computer.

Sara

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Will Kindle Kill Books ?
Any further tips would be appreciated...as for paper backs versus Reader..give me a reader anytime ..especially in bed.

Go here for free books and they now have a section (top of page) especially for Sony Readers already in the format to go right on to your Sony.

The Burgomeister's Books: Truly free ebook download library (#1)

I would suggest using Calibre as the tool for downloading to your Sony Reader

calibre

You need some of the Sony Software if you are going to buy books, but I have not used it in my first year of ownership: I have not purchased one book.
There are thousands of free books out there.

Ian

Akasya

Postless Pointer
Will Kindle Kill Books ?
Shirley, save from the Burgomeister and open with Word or Open Office. Save in .TXT format .If you can read it you don't need to convert, just drag and drop it onto your reader.

Steve.

pldouglas

Will Kindle Kill Books ?
What about the weight and feel of a good book resting on your knee, the scent of the pages wether old or new. Nope, for me there will never be anything like the anticipation of getting down to a jolly good murder in hardback!

Spyrogal

Sally from Yali
Will Kindle Kill Books ?
Not until they make a book reader which feels like a book, looks like a book, smells like a book and has real pages with or without illustrations - oh, and then it'd be a book...you can't cuddle up with a child on your lap and get the same experience of the wonder of reading with a book reader as you would do with a picture book or bedtime story. However, I would have one for travelling because it would be so convenient. I wouldn't want to take my cd collection itself on holiday, I just take an ipod, and this would be no different.
Working in a library service I wonder how long my job would last if boooks vanished from our shelves?
Finally - read Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury - about the end of books (although they are replaced by tv rather than e-books)

Latest Posts

Top Bottom