Why this migrant chose Turkey.
I have just had my Citizenship interview and it was interesting the type of questions I was asked. Or that my wife was asked due to my poor, or rather my non-existent, Turkish. (Due to the fact I have a Turkish wife and daughter I am allowed to be considered for Citizenship without a fully working grasp of the language, so long as I am seen to be trying to learn.)

There was a panel of nine people, including the Mayor, a senior policeman and a high ranking military officer. They were keen to know about how I would bring up my daughter and how involved I was with her upbringing. They wanted to know why we living away from my wife's family, instead of being as close to them as possible. (Because we wanted to live by the sea.) They wanted to know how involved I was in Turkish life, whether I ate the local food (ohhh yes!) and how I fitted in with local society. It was all very family and society orientated.

Anyway the whole process has made me think about why I am here. I am here because living by the Mediterranean, with the Taurus Mountains behind me and such a wealth of ancient ruins around me is wonderful. The people here are so friendly and... well just nice. My daughter's life is so much freer and more fun than in London. My lifestyle is an awful lot healthier without pubs and take aways to tempt me (I can resist anything but temptation) and the opportunities for enjoyable exercise - walking and swimming - are greater.

And after 25 years of Electronic Manufacturing the change to teaching is, to say the least, invigorating. The jury is still out on what sort of a teacher I will be but at least I am finding out.

So that is why I have emigrated. My parents emigrated from Ireland to England due to economic necessity. I am thankful I have been able to do it out of choice.

By the way - I don't know yet whether I passed or not.

ChrisBobs

Thanks Joe- the process does make you ask 'why am I here', a healthy review of your own reasons, and by a committee who are obviously interested in 'good citizens' as contributors. Hope you get the happy news in a little brown envelope!(months to wait?)
Cheers
Chris

Tess

Very interesting Joe, thanks for taking the time to let us know. Hope all goes well, good luck.

abla

Good post.Enjoy Turkey.I am sure you will with the attitude you have.
You want to integrate and that is the most important thing.
It is apparent that Turkish living is in you heart.You will be fine here.
The ones that come to make money always fail.You have come to make a life as I did.
Again I wish you all the best.Its not easy....just take it in you stride.

Firebrand

Good luck with the process. It doesn't sound like it daunted you.

Do you know how long you have to wait to find out? And did they go easy on your Turkish language (I'm hoping to have my interview this month in London so I'm an interested party).

ChrisBobs

Hi Firebrand- you have just added some interesting info- that you are applying and going through the whole process in London?

(I'm hoping to have my interview this month in London so I'm an interested party).

Is that correct?

Good luck too!

Cheers
Chris

Good luck with the process. It doesn't sound like it daunted you.

Do you know how long you have to wait to find out? And did they go easy on your Turkish language (I'm hoping to have my interview this month in London so I'm an interested party).

They went amazingly easy on my Turkish, adressing everything after the first couple of questions to my wife. I have been told, that because of my daughter, I am in. I will believe that if it happens.

I may find out next week. I may find out in two to three months. I would say "That's Turkey" but I have been in similar situations in the UK.

Firebrand

Hi Firebrand- you have just added some interesting info- that you are applying and going through the whole process in London?

Is that correct?

Good luck too!

Cheers
Chris

Hi - that's the general idea, but I seem to have been doing a pretty good job of putting it off every time it gets near enough to be real. It's the Turkish language interview that is scaring me. Interviews are tough enough at the best of times!

ChrisBobs

I think Joe has demonstrated that it is not so much the Turkish they are interested in , but if your application is genuine. They asked of me, alone, then my husband when he was called in , questions about how we met, when etc, to see if we were a real couple. Thats pretty standard for any immigration interview.
Just go and do it, while it is still quite straightforward.
and smile !Good luck!

Good luck Joe.

I travel to Mersin/Adana,, by bus ,several times a year. sometimes via Konya and sometimes the coast road
I am due to travel again in two or three weeks time. I would love to meet you, probably in Silfke, if you have the time?

geordie_nev

Good luck Joe. It sounds like you’ll be fine.

I’m having to take my dad to court to help get my citizenship. Only in Turkey - lol.

Firebrand

One last question Joe - what's the deal with your national service? Do you not have to do it if you become a citizen after a certain age? And not that I expect you to know this, but would a man who is becoming a Turkish citizen have to do it anyway, if he were of conscription age? I'm just interested in the idea of whether a Brit - or other - with duel citizenship could be a member of both armies. (I think that may only work for national football teams?)

One last question Joe - what's the deal with your national service? Do you not have to do it if you become a citizen after a certain age? And not that I expect you to know this, but would a man who is becoming a Turkish citizen have to do it anyway, if he were of conscription age? I'm just interested in the idea of whether a Brit - or other - with duel citizenship could be a member of both armies. (I think that may only work for national football teams?)

I have been told that at my age (47) I am over the cut off point for national service but I am not sure what the age is - I have a feeling its 45 but am not sure where I got that from.

I had been told when enquiring at the Turkish Consulate in London a couple of years ago that I would be required to do service if I became a citizen.

So I think it is a requirement but I escap because I am old and decrepit.

Good luck Joe.

I travel to Mersin/Adana,, by bus ,several times a year. sometimes via Konya and sometimes the coast road
I am due to travel again in two or three weeks time. I would love to meet you, probably in Silfke, if you have the time?

It would be nice to meet up with someone! Let me know what day you are coming via PM.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom