ceemac

Shake It Baby...
Why Pork Is A No-No
Someone mentioned something yesterday about pork that got me Google juices flowing, so here goes;

Why Pork is Prohibited in Islam
  • The Quran forbids the eating of dead meat, blood, and the flesh of swine;
  • Swine are considered unclean as they will eat anything including their own excreta;
  • The prescibed method in Islam of slaughtering an animal for consumption is to 'bleed it' by an incision in the jugular vein, leaving all organs intact. This cannot be done with a pig as anatomically it has no neck so Muslims feel if a pig was fit for consumption then God would have given it a neck (if it can't be bled then the blood will congeal in the veins and permeate the flesh with uric acid which is highly poisonous)
This subject goes much deeper than this of course - many other religions prohibit the eating of pork, in fact the bible too in Leviticus chapter 11, verse 8, regarding swine it says, "of their flesh (of the swine another name for pig) shall you not eat, and of their carcass you shall not touch; they are 'unclean to you.'

Interestingly, the Quran does make an exception if a Muslim eats pork, "But if one is forced by necessity, without wilful disobedience, nor transgressing due limits,- then is he guiltless. For Allah is Oft-forgiving Most Merciful."

Al-Qur'an, 002.173 (Al-Baqara [The Cow])

The medical reasons for not eating pork seem much more convincing though : pig's bodies contain many toxins, worms and latent diseases (I'll bet all animals do as well however)

Although some of these infestations are harboured in other animals, modern veterinarians say that pigs are far more predisposed to these illnesses than other animals. This could be because pigs like to scavenge and will eat any kind of food, including dead insects, worms, rotting carcasses, excreta including their own, garbage, and other pigs. Influenza is one of the most famous illnesses which pigs share with humans. This illness is haboured in the lungs of pigs during the summer months and tends to affect pigs and human in the cooler months.

Sausage contains bits of pigs' lungs, so those who eat pork sausage tend to suffer more during epidemics of flu. Pig meat contains excessive quantities of histamine and imidazole compounds, which can lead to itching and inflammation; growth hormone which promotes inflammation and growth; sulphur containing mesenchymal mucus which leads to swelling and deposits of mucus in tendons and cartilage, resulting in arthritis, rheumatism, etc.

Sulphur helps cause firm human tendons and ligaments to be replaced by the pig's soft mesenchymal tissues, and degeneration of human cartilage.

Eating pork can also lead to gallstones and obesity, probably due to its high cholestrol and saturated fat content. The pig is the main carrier of the taenie solium worm, which is found in its flesh. These tapeworms are found in human intestines with greater frequency in nations where pigs are eaten. This type of tapeworm can pass through the intestines and affect many other organs, and is incurable once it reaches beyond a certain stage. One in six people in the US and Canada has trichinosis from eating trichina worms, which are found in pork.
Many people have no symptoms to warn them of this, and when they do, they resemble symptoms of many other illnesses. These worms are not noticed during meat inspections.

Hope you're not at your breakfast!!

C

GnD

Why Pork Is A No-No
Wow all that was news to me I thought it was an unclean animal due to its trotters?

No can anyone sort out from where on earth my brain gleaned that misconception?

bobthenob

Non Active Member
Why Pork Is A No-No
You seem to have a way of putting me off sausages for life.Eeee,gags and there l was savouring some pork sausages just the other day brought from England..going vegeterian sounds quite attractive now.
Your not a spokesman for the veggy brigade are you

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
Why Pork Is A No-No
Wow all that was news to me I thought it was an unclean animal due to its trotters?

No can anyone sort out from where on earth my brain gleaned that misconception?

No, that's applicable to only fools and horses :hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe:

C

GnD

Why Pork Is A No-No
No, that's applicable to only fools and horses :hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe:

C

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Orthodox Jews and Muslims
consider pork to be an unclean meat that should not be eaten, as taught by Leviticus 11:2-8:

“ Of all land animals these are the ones you may eat: any animal that has hoofs you may eat, provided it is cloven-footed and chews the cud. But you shall not eat any of the following that only chew the cud or only have hoofs...the pig, which does indeed have hoofs and is cloven-footed, but does not chew the cud and is therefore unclean "
blonde or not got it!:23:

Why Pork Is A No-No
i was told by a very serious and devout Muslim..that when Noah made the Ark and collected all the animals etc he asked God how they could manage all the excrement (he obviously didn't think about chucking it overboard..so god made the pig to eat it all up..and thats why they are unclean.

Why Pork Is A No-No
I like vegetable which is a good job as I won't be having bacon anymore yuk. I had finished breakfast but was just eating chocolate with a cup of tea, unfortunately I wasn't put off chocolate. Im sure someone will come up with some horrible facts about chocolate now.....please.

Fendouglas

Gangless!
Why Pork Is A No-No
During a Comparative Religeon Course I did, we got the impression that (in respect to Jewish tribes anyway), because Pork does not keep well in a Middle-East climate and because Dead Sea Prawns are poisonous, any (Old Testament) Environmental Health Guru, if he said "Do not eateth of these things Brethren" would be told to "Buggereth off! 'cos we haven't anything else to eateth and even if they killeth us, we won't have died of malnutrition!". So said EHG came up with the idea of "I am a Prophet and God told me to tell you not to eat it" and there was great understanding throughout the Land and they all saideth "OK then!"

Of course we know now (According to the Jewish Faith) that God only ever spoke to: Aaron; Samuel and Moses direct, but they didn't know that then!:504xn:

Guz1

Why Pork Is A No-No
I love sausages and fatty bacon. Pork should be stored in a cool place (remember the old custom of not eating pork unless there's an r in the month) and should be well done. Wouldn't cooking at high temperatures kill off any germs or parasites?

SuperBogs

I miss you Pebble
Why Pork Is A No-No
I can't wait for a plate of bacon and ham for breakfast. If you seen how chickens are mass raised you wouldn't eat them either. Country or small town Turkish chickens are always in the garbage eating what ever they can...lol. I'll just take some pills if I get tape worm thanks.

Biker Bob

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Why Pork Is A No-No
You seem to have a way of putting me off sausages for life.Eeee,gags and there l was savouring some pork sausages just the other day brought from England..going vegeterian sounds quite attractive now.

All the more piggy for me then !

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
Why Pork Is A No-No
:hungry: Well i.ve been told by my Dr to eat Pork { amongst other things } as i.m not absorbing enough Vit B12 and Folic Acid so now need injections for the rest of my life !!...... So tonight i have PORK Tender Loin and for Sunday a joint of pork with savoy cabbage ... I find Lamb to greasy All animals have worms But they get worming pills and vacs from Farmers and cooking at correct tempreture is Very important for all food . my Turkish Husband always asks me to bring pork chops . sausage . and bacon . But then he.s a Christian !!!!! ...... Nothing to do with me Honest :38:

Scarwulf

Why Pork Is A No-No
The prescibed method in Islam of slaughtering an animal for consumption is to 'bleed it' by an incision in the jugular vein, leaving all organs intact. This cannot be done with a pig as anatomically it has no neck so Muslims feel if a pig was fit for consumption then God would have given it a neck (if it can't be bled then the blood will congeal in the veins and permeate the flesh with uric acid which is highly poisonous)

In the UK pigs are slaughtered by sticking i.e cutting an artery in the neck and allowing it to bleed to death, that's where the blood for black pudding comes from. So it is wrong to say that because pigs have no neck they can't be bled.

zuberdust

IM THE BESTEST :)
Why Pork Is A No-No
Out of interest how would a muslim feel if they caught Swine Flu? Unwell of course but I mean is it regarded differently because it is a pig variant?

lol! i think that wud be like such a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge insult and you would feel unclean and unholy, dirty! i know i wud!

angiesco

Why Pork Is A No-No
Zuberdust, I would like to ask you something about Islam, if you don't mind.

Rabbit, duck, mussles, shrimps, as a Muslim can they be eaten or not (are they halal or haram) I have looked on the net but the answers are contradictory(sp) I thought you might help to make it clear.

Angie.

Part of the reason I ask is they sell shrimps/prawns in the fish mongers here, in Turkey. Also, cooked mussles are sold on the streets by vendors. So, ı thought they must be ok. However, they sell alcohol too and therefore it gets me a bit confused, especially as 99% of the population are Muslim.

Last edited:

zuberdust

IM THE BESTEST :)
Why Pork Is A No-No
Zuberdust, I would like to ask you something about Islam, if you don't mind.

Rabbit, duck, muscles, shrimps, as a Muslim can they be eaten or not (are they halal or haram) I have looked on the net but the answers are contradictory(sp) I thought you might help to make it clear.

Angie.

rabbit and duck r halal if they r halaled
mussles = no
shrimps/prawns.... - tough one... yes and no... some eat some dont.... but its still a shellfish so if you r being strict... its not halal....
i eat prawns anyway

pebble

Why Pork Is A No-No
When we were kids, i was told moslems didnt eat pork because the pigs didnt have veins.....(this from another kid......) and I believed it till i was an adult.
I wasnt raised with it per se......we had bacon and ham, but no pork chops or pork roast or any thing like that. I think it was a apreference in our family........

Also, a moslem is forgiven if he/she eats it without knowing.........

for example, just fresh off the boat, if they go down to the local pizza parlour and have a peperoni pizza./..well they might not know that our peperonis here in the US do have pork......(I hope its not considered a sausage and has lungs in it......it would put me off right away)

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
Why Pork Is A No-No
The prescibed method in Islam of slaughtering an animal for consumption is to 'bleed it' by an incision in the jugular vein, leaving all organs intact. This cannot be done with a pig as anatomically it has no neck so Muslims feel if a pig was fit for consumption then God would have given it a neck (if it can't be bled then the blood will congeal in the veins and permeate the flesh with uric acid which is highly poisonous)

In the UK pigs are slaughtered by sticking i.e cutting an artery in the neck and allowing it to bleed to death, that's where the blood for black pudding comes from. So it is wrong to say that because pigs have no neck they can't be bled.

It's not the neck actually but the chest but I know what you are saying.

C

Latest Posts

Top Bottom