Squeaky

Why does the Daily Mail have such a poor reputation?
Good evening:

I have noticed a number of comments which seem to be basically slurs concerning the Daily Mail and have began to wonder what is wrong with the Daily Mail that results in these comments. I don't think I have noticed many here - mainly I hear them when someone mentions having read something in the Daily Mail.

Personally I read the Daily Mail on line first most days and don't know if it is because of the layout of the site or the fact that it seems to provide what I look for in the way of new which prompts me to do this.

I then have a quick glance at some of the other UK papers but am sure I don't check all of them every day - maybe it is because I have already checked the Daily Mail but the contents don't seem to really grab me.

I have been given copies of the printed version and notice that there seems to be a lot of trash in it that does seem to appear in the online versions - this could be that I don't normally click on any of the items on the right hand margin which seems to contain a lot of trash. Who the heck cares if Posh Spice appeared without makeup or not.

Guess the question should be "does the Daily" have a poor reputation because of the printed version or what?"

Hope some of the members can confirm the poor reputation and suggest a reason.

Cheers

Squeaky

Saoirse

for its readers it has pretty simple logic when it comes to problems and whos to blame........

global warming-----asylum seekers

banks failure.......asylum seekers

recent bad weather......asylum seekers

and so on

Even in their coverage re the Somali Pirates one of their gripes was they were taking our pirates jobs!

Saoirse

lol

I dont think even its regular readers really take it seriously

Its more of a right wing comic than a newspaper

ted j

I think, what the prevoius posters are trying to say, is, it's a bag of sh1t, pandering to a very narrow margin of the population, and anyone who doesn't fit into their criteria, is a moron, or not worthy of reading it.

EVELYNNE

evelynne
gosh, i read the Mail, but have always thought of it as a womens paper - must admit of late there hasn;t been much in it that has interested me.

Like the travel section and of course femail and has a good tv guide on a saturday.

What more could a women want !lol x

Martyn

It's the 2nd most read newspaper. Personally if I buy a paper I get The Times but if the mother in law is with us it's The Mail purely because it has larger print. :lol:

Saoirse

oh aye typical

blame the poor mother in law!

I mean we all tell jokes about our mother in law but its a bit below the belt to call her a mail reader

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
if you read the mail, then you must have gypsies taking over your garden !

martin

Martyn

oh aye typical

blame the poor mother in law!

I mean we all tell jokes about our mother in law but its a bit below the belt to call her a mail reader

Yeah sorry Philip she doesn't really exist :lol:

giglets

It's the usual attempted put down from the Gaurdianistas.

Couldn't agree more.
And it sure bugs the lefties that it consistently outsells all their politically correct rags.
'Nuff said !

Dave

ted j

Sure I've posted this before. Bruce Forsyth was on Wogan, or Parkinson , and was asked about a photo in nearly all the papers that apparently showed him grimacing towards his then wife , Anthea Redfern (the newspapers said that she was having an affair with the bloke in the pics, and Brucie looked like he was throwing daggers at him. Turns out, the bloke was her aerobics instructor (who Brucie knew quite well), and Brucie had just taken a sip of a glass of wine that was corked (hence the grimace). Also, when I was younger, an old guy where I worked, Sam, was 60,(christ, I'm 61 now!) but he decided to carry on working (now THAT'S going back a bit). It was the custom to buy everyone a treat. The Manchester evening news came down, and interviewed loads of the workforce, and printed the story. the clerk's missus rang him up.and asked him to save her some chocolates, he was puzzled, and asked me to go and buy a copy of the evening edition. I did, and when we read it, it looked like he had bought everyone a huge box of chocolates. He'd actually bought everyone a KIT KAT. Like Brucie said, the only thing you can believe out of a newspaper, is up at the top........THE DATE

Xerox

BAA - but not sheepish!
It's a bigoted, popularist, opportunistic, biased disaster of a newspaper.

You'll not be a regular reader then :5:

I just find it so depressing a read, I have picked one up occasionally in a friends house and by the time I am half way through I want to end it all. Now I leave it on his coffee table, life is to short to read The Mail.

Squeaky

Good morning:

Judging from all the comments above, I guess I should have emphasized that I am talking about the ON LINE version of the Daily Mail. I did mention this and also that I was NOT too impressed with the print version.

I will change the question to ask "what newspaper do you read FIRST on line each day?" and why?

By the way, the second newspaper I check is Hurriyet as I buy a paper copy of ZamanToday. Why, because it is the only local newspaper available and I still like the practice of holding a paper in my hand. I find that I read more of the items when reading a paper version.

I hope the fact that I read The Daily Mail ON LINE doesn't automatically brand me as "bigoted, popularist, opportunistic".

Cheers

Squeaky

Last edited:

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
The first UK online paper that I read in the mornings is The Daily Mail. Of all the online papers I think it's got the best lay-out and is very easy to navigate.

Once you learn to take most of the stories with a pinch of salt and realise that they're one of the most sensationalist papers ever published, and that there are always 2 sides to a story, it makes for a good read. Their constant excitement at having the "first picture" of an assualt or murder victim is disturbing but unfortunately all newspapers judge themselves by being first with something or other.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom