Status
Not open for further replies.

zozatky

Why do Migrants Choose Britain.
Why have migrants chosen to leave their homelands for Britain?

There has to be some kind of reason we as expats cannot work it out. We all came the other way, we all have different reasons why. But to trek to the so called land of milk & honey escapes me.

PS May be its to get season tickets for the one football team in Manchester...!!!
:noidea::noidea::noidea:

Lillylilly

Ex Altinkum Resident
Eh free housing,benefits,health care and education spring to mind and also the belief that they can then turn the U.K. into the country they they tried so hard to escape from.

Oooerrr! you will will now have a the bleeding heart liberals on your case! but tend to agree!

Sara-666

Eh free housing,benefits,health care and education spring to mind and also the belief that they can then turn the U.K. into the country they they tried so hard to escape from.

I know that some people genuinely have to leave their homeland and for them I can only imagine how hard it is but I have to agree to the above for most of the migrants to Britain these days

Sara

I am afraid you could equally say...
"Why have all you ex pats left your homeland for Turkey? "
Many of us can see our country,s shortcoming and agree with Parrot but wouldnt want to live anywhere else.
If people want to come into the UK for education and healthcare what does that tell you about the migration of expats the other way, perhaps taking what they had in the UK for granted?
"The grass on the other side of the fence will always appear greener and its human nature never to be satisfied with your lot".
My family have never wanted to emigrate permanently particularly to a Mediterranean country. Sun,sea and lazing about has limited appeal and after a month max,you want to return home.
I hope that help ex pats to work it out.

Last edited:

teresa

Free Thinker
If people want to come into the UK for education and healthcare what does that tell you about the migration of expats the other way.

It perhaps tells you we have worked hard and are self sufficient enough to try somewhere else and see how other people live without requiring the country to support our dreams. I do not knock the place I left and may at some point return because my life is not mapped out.

I am enjoying my life here doing something I have never had the courage, or money to do in earlier life.

Last edited:

ukizook

I agree with you on most parts Terry, but on some point's there is a big difference.

When we go to Turkey [or Spain or where ever] we take our own money to feed clothe and house ourselves. Imagine the laughter if we got of the plane and then went and asked "where do we get the free house, food and money"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know that there a genuine seekers but a vast majority just see the UK as an easy touch.

Last edited:

pldouglas

It is certainly somewhat confusing to overhear the many many ex-pats lounging in the seafront bars and complaining long and loud about thier chosen lives in Turkey - thier obvious discontent was one of the many things that put us off moving there permenantly.
I'm not sure that all migrants want to settle in GB permenantly either, many see it as a stepping stone to the US and Canada. I consider myself lucky that I love where I live and have never witnessed a war here, if I had then maybe I would want to move too.
But right now its another beautiful day here, cloudless skies and just touches of autumn colours, a company of plumbers have just arrived to do some work here and are carefully laying dust sheets everywhere before starting work (even on damage proof stone flagstone floors) My brother has had a comfortable night in hospital with lovley staff caring for him and I had an overwhelming choice of walking boots to choose from in well stocked shops yesterday, found just what I wanted all clearly priced and a bargin too.
Yes thankyou very much, GB will do fine for me

hijo

in my own clique
simply the british people are too bl***y soft with the goverments they elect..uk is the softest country in the world when it comes to migrants coming in (basicly they are cheaper labour) turkey has the right idea.god forbid if turkey goes into the E U..:noidea:

Yalides

Am I pretty ?

Absolutely right.

Mushroom

I'm with Parrot on this one.
The UK is a soft touch to any outsider. You don't need to be a genuine asylum seeker to get in. This is the place where arrival opens the gates to free housing, benefits, healthcare, education.... the list goes on.
Do they need to be able to provide anything back into the system, skills, work etc ?- the answer is no.
Where else in the EU is this so easily administered? Well I don't know and obviously our scroungers from abroad don't know either because there are a hell of a lot of countries to pass through on the way to the UK, which obviously are just not up to their requirements!

It perhaps tells you we have worked hard and are self sufficient enough to try somewhere else and see how other people live without requiring the country to support our dreams. I do not knock the place I left and may at some point return because my life is not mapped out.

I am enjoying my life here doing something I have never had the courage, or money to do in earlier life.
Ah!
It also tells you that possibly one of the reasons you could afford to move was years of free healthcare and good education on top of working hard!!:clap:
At least you do not knock the country you left ,Teresa ,which is a credit to you.
Keeping your options open is a good idea

Crash Tester quote
we give the freedom to our people to leave the country any time they like to go live in another with a warmer climate, and a lot less going for it generally, to drink cheap beer and constantly moan about the UK not being good enough for them.

Nice one Paul Lol :321oi:

Last edited:

pldouglas

It is also a fact that immigrants are damned if they do work here and damned if they don't. Whichever way they choose, they are either accused of taking the work of locals or sponging off the state - they can't win.

Martyn

I find some of these threads just whip up issues where the immigrants get it in the neck. I agree in principle with what has been said but I also bet if the home grown scroungers got off their backsides the immigrant issue wouldn't be such a big issue. We have a system that many are sponging off, the Brits themselves are great at doing that.

I agree with you on most parts Terry, but on some point's there is a big difference.

When we go to Turkey [or Spain or where ever] we take our own money to feed clothe and house ourselves. Imagine the laughter if we got of the plane and then went and asked "where do we get the free house, food and money"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know that there a genuine seekers but a vast majority just see the UK as an easy touch.

i totally agree same here

same here:clap:

nanamo

I dont usually join in these debates, however, if you talk to my dad who is a D day vet you will be speaking to very disillusioned man. He saw many young men killed - he himself was only just 19 when he ran up the beaches - he is now watching his grandson working all hours to get on to the property ladder, he phoned on Saturday to say his grant for minor work to be done to his house to help his blind partner has been rejected and he is struggling on a pension. There is a pub on the other side of the road to his house, the youngsters sit on his wall every night and have broken it many many times, they have spat on him when he went to tell them to please move away from his flowers. He said when he moved into his house 20 years ago he used to look forward to the kids coming because he used to talk to them, now he is afraid to go out into his own front garden after 9pm. I dont know what to say about the imigrants but I my heart goes out to my dad. Molly

Firebrand

My hard working husband came here to the UK from Turkey, has never taken a penny from the state in benefits, but has paid plenty to it in taxes.

My (white, British) nephew is in his 20s, never worked a day in his life. Sits at home all day smoking and drinking. Sponging off the state and anyone fool enough to 'lend' him money. Makes you feel proud, eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom