Who remembers prices in the uk 1960
how about 1964

Pork chops 5s 4d lb
Best chops with kidney 6s 8d lb
Small Persil 9d very small
Bigger Persil 1s 3d
Ty-phoo 1s3d qtr
Middle bacon 3s 9d lb

I had just started work in a supermarket on of the first where I lived and my pay was £3-15s a week my mom had 30 bob off me and the rest was for going out and my clothes.

Gin&Tonic

In 1967 I was working in an office getting £5.15 shillings a week. A girl I was working with spent a whole week's money on a dress from Biba.

Saoirse

In my day you could buy a 3 bedroom house for 4 and sixpence and a steamship package trip to Siam and Persia was thruppence. ayeee they weret days!

I can remember it was 3d for a milky way and 6d for a mars bar,,,,cause i love chocolate,,

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
In 1969 I was 13 and it was 3d for the Saturday Matinee Cinema, and we used to take a 2d bag of mixed sweets.

SHAWY

1963 two bob for a pint of beer in the cartshaft club

jcrian

In 1968 I was a navigating apprentice with BP Tankers and my first years pay was £53 rising to £244 after 4 years.

Maisie

I left home in 1961 when I was earning £7.3s.6d. per week in Westminster Bank Ltd. Can't remember much about prices in the shops, but were obviously low enough that my wages coped as well as paying rent and tube fare to work and back. Maisie

Akasya

Postless Pointer
I remember a fourpennyone from me old Dad, right round the earhole , wonder what it'd be worth now........

Steve.

I remember a fourpennyone from me old Dad, right round the earhole , wonder what it'd be worth now........

Steve.

kitkats were sixpence & now 55p = 11shillings! 11 bob for a kitkat, amazing & they are smaller.

now would be a thirtysix penny one.

did you also live in a shoe box in th the middle of the road then your father would cut you up with a carving knife
eey you didn't you where alive lad!

anyone remember what you could get for a penny a Black Jack a Fruit Salad, a sherbet saucer or how about a pink shrimp, or jelly lips!

Last edited by a moderator:

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
About 1966 I passed my Driveing test . Dad promised if i passed he'd buy me a car !!!

He DID an a64 austin / morris Van , Smiled and said you can only drive for the deliverys . You can use it later when you learn , It cost about £600 i think , After a year i was allowed to drive to my friends house on sundays , ,,, If the old people could see todays prices They'd die of shock !!!Diane

Saoirse

I remember the 50s when dvds were only fourpence and you could get a blueray player for 3 bob

we were very advanced round our way

arrian

R.I.P
can't remember prices as such, but my first wage as an office junior was £2 10 shillings in 1964!

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
Got 4 pounds and 11 pence a week as an Apprentice Engineer in 1961.

mike dj

Four gallons of Petrol at 4 shillings 11 and a half pence a gallon , 2 shots of Redex and treble green stamps for £1 and my Morris minor with traficators was ready for another week of driving to work .Mike

Latest Posts

Top Bottom