tjd

Which Terminal do we arrive at?
Can someone advise me? :help:

We are flying Dublin - Istanbul - Bodrum next week.

I've assumed we'll be landing at the domestic terminal in Bodrum.

Can anyone confirm this so I can get Car Hire organised?

Also - Can we buy Duty Free in Dublin and carry it through Istanbul? Or have the rules changed? Would it be better to buy Duty Free in Istanbul? Can I simply carry it on to the Turkish Airlines flight to Bodrum?

Thank you.

Guz1

Don't know about Bodrum, but when travelling Dublin/Istanbul/Izmir with Turkish Airlines we arrive at the interntional terminal in Izmir (bus from the plane to the terminal) because that's where we collect our luggage. On the return journey we leave from the domestic terminal. Never had any trouble bringing duty free from Dublin on the Istanbul/Izmir flight.

Can you buy duty free at Istanbul when taking an internal flight?

Reactions: tjd

tjd

Thanks Maria,

Last time I travelled through Ist I flew BA and then ONUR to Bodrum. When we were collecting our bags at International terminal at Ist there was a Duty Free shop, just like Bodrum arrivals.

Peregrine

Don't know about Bodrum, but when travelling Dublin/Istanbul/Izmir with Turkish Airlines we arrive at the interntional terminal in Izmir (bus from the plane to the terminal) because that's where we collect our luggage. On the return journey we leave from the domestic terminal. Never had any trouble bringing duty free from Dublin on the Istanbul/Izmir flight.

Can you buy duty free at Istanbul when taking an internal flight?

Guz

thats not quite accurate.

When arriving at Izmir from Istanbul you actually arrive at the domestic terminal, you then get on a bus that takes you to the international terminal (watch out as there are two buses). For some reason all the cases from the international part of the flight end up at the international terminal - maybe its because they have customs there which they dont in the domestic

Guz1

Thanks Peregrine.

I just remember getting the bus to the international terminal (just followed the foreign crowd). Think it may have more to do with the origin of the luggage than customs because we went through passport control and bought our visa on arrival in Istanbul.

We were rightly caught out one year on the return journey. Went to the international terminal at Izmir and had a long walk to the domestic terminal to check in for the flight to Istanbul.

TJD: The convenience of using THY is that you can book your luggage straight through at Dublin and don't have to collect it in Istanbul. They have been known to delay the internal flight if the flight from Dublin is delayed.

Last edited:

Carnsoreboxer

Carnsoreboxer
Oh I am envious of you going we returned last week and looking at our rain want to go again!

We travelled same route as you on previous trip, bought my duty free in Dublin and landed at domestic terminal in Bodrum where our luggage was there to collect. Same thing happened this time but through Izmir, your luggage will arrive labelled Domestic Transfer

Hope this helps and bring back some sun

Guz1

Carnsoreboxer: I'm confused (nothing new there). You collected your luggage in the Domestic Terminal in Bodrum. Did you also collect your luggage at the Domestic Terminal in Izmir? We always collected our luggage at the International Terminal in Izmir. Have they changed the procedure for international passengers travelling via Istanbul?

Dellol

As was already said, you will end up in the International Terminal. You need to know this if you are being collected from the Airport, and going home, you go directly to the Domestic Terminal. You can still get Duty Free in Dublin, but make sure you keep the bag sealed until you get to your final destination. Yes, you can also buy more Duty free at your final destination, at least in Izmir, so presumably Bodrum is the same. For some reason, there was no Duty Free going out or coming home on our flight recentley, nor on my parents. This is definately a first. As Guz1 said, they may hold the flight for you if you are delayed (between connections), alternatively, you will be put on the next internal flight free of charge, so do not panic if you are delayed. The internals depart approx every 40 mins. Make sure to get your Visa BEFORE going to Passport control in Istanbul. They are right beside each other. Good Luck and Enoy!!!!

RIK

Hi Maria. If you are travelling with the same airline on both legs ( say Turkish Airlines ) then your bags and you will finish up at any Turkish Airport's Intenational Terminal as you will not have completed customs formalities.If you travel with say, BA. to Istanbul and then Atlas Jet ( say ) to Izmir then you will have collected your bags, completed customs and Passport formalities in Istanbul.You are then on an internal flight with no passport or customs required as it has been done in Istanbul. I hope that this is clear.

Ian

neutral

I've done Dublin/Istanbul/Bodrum a few times.At Dublin Duty Free let them know your flying outside the EU your bags are checked through to Bodrum on arrival at Istanbul make your way to the Domestic Terminal its well marked also pay visa at Istanbul.On arrival at Bodrum the plane will park up at the domestic terminal but at the steps of the plane there will be a bus to bring you to the international terminal where you will collect your bags.A word of warning on the way back through Istanbul allow time for the queue at the passport/visa check it can take a while to pass.Enjoy your holidays.

Neutral

tjd

Thanks everyone!

I really appreciate this, I'd hate to end up at the wrong terminal.

TJD

Carnsoreboxer

Carnsoreboxer
Collect our bags at domestic both in Izmir and Bodrum however we had visa issued and went through passport control in Istanbul, hope this helps

Guz1

Thank you, Carnsoreboxer, and please don't think I'm doubting you especially as you have only just returned from your trip. Did you fly Turkish Airlines Dublin/Istanbul/Izmir or did you change carriers at Istanbul? My reason for asking is that if you only used THY then they have changed their system. I'm travelling Dublin/Istanbul/Izmir in June.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom