enigma

where to visit
Hi,
We have an apartment in Hisaronu and this year are spending more time there. We were there for 8 weeks May/June and visited Cappadocia which was awesome, despite the very long coach journey - 10 hours. In September/October, when we are next at our apartment, we plan to visit Izmir for 3/4 nights. Please can anyone recommend a medium priced hotel and also where should we visit either by dolmus or organised trips? We obviously want to make the most of our visit.
Thanks

where to visit
Why don't you hire a car for 2/3 days and you can see what you want when you want, lots to see in that area, Cesme castle is nice, we went in January and were the only people there that day. Enjoy wherever you visit

enigma

where to visit
Thank you Lesley but we do prefer to use public transport as it is so good and eliminates stress i.e. us arguing when we get lost :)

Sailor

where to visit
1 800 hotels will give you a list of all prices for hotels in the Izmir area. Used their website when we stayed in Istanbul for a weekend. A nice town about 30 minutes from Izmir is Alacati on a Saturday for the market.The streets are quaint.We had a lovely day out there and you could even go on to Cesme for a few hours.

enigma

where to visit
Thanks for that but I just went to the website and nothing comes up for Izmir or indeed anywhere else in Turkey?

enigma

where to visit
Actually you have the location incorrect - Izmir certainly is not 30 minutes from Isanbul - maybe a town/village of similar name perhaps :)

enigma

where to visit
Whoops - I realise I misread your post. Of course you weren't saying that Izmir is 30 mins from Istanbul - silly me - maybe time for bed

Sailor

where to visit
1800hotels.com. Just checked , plenty of hotels in Izmir on the site.Type in destination city and you will get a result.

where to visit
If you are looking for a hotel in central Izmir try the Marla Hotel (and you must visit Topcu restaurant next door).
Lots to see and do in Izmir itself but be aware that if you intend to use public transport to travel further afield the central bus station is located on the outskirts of the city so you will need to take a taxi or dolmus from the centre just to get to the bus station.
As has been said it would be better to hire a car and drive to Izmir and use it to get about whilst you are there if you intend to travel outside the city.

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
where to visit
Google The Park Hotel Izmir its not expensive for what you get and its in the centre . You can take a cable car ride . visit the thermal springs . Water Plannet is nice its a kinda fair but as good cafes with very good food at reasonable prices and you could spend a day in nearby cesme however Izmir is so big i don't think you'll need to go to cesme . Theres a ferry that takes you to another part of Izmir The bazzar is hudge you can buy anything there . Right in the centre by traffic lights theres a big lokum shop tabu something across the road is a cafe with with the best muffins i've ever tasted and cafe latte its cakes are wonderful Remember this is a city with Fast moveing traffic be extra careful Enjoy your visit Diane

enigma

where to visit
Thank you all for your advice I will definitely check out the hotels mentioned and take on board your suggestions for places to visit.

enigma

where to visit
We have just booked 4 nights at Park Hotel. After reviewing several hotels online you seem to be correct Pineapple1. I'm sure we'll have a lovely stay there. So thanks again for the recommendation.
Hubby has been reading the 'Lonely Planet' guide and it does say that public transport in Izmir (i.e. local buses) is not very user friendly. It recommended using the ferry. Is this correct?
Margaret

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
where to visit
Glad you booked the Park Hotel Enigma . I've stayed there 3 times And its only a short walk to the Hilton Hotel and central to shops ect . Never had a problem with Basmane and i was alone . Plenty of buses and taxis by hotel . but the ferry ride to the other part of Izmir is rather nice and the hotel staff are very helpfull and will tell taxi drivers were you want to go . A little tip i always carried Hotel card to show drivers were i wanted takeing back to ... Or just say Sifa Hospital . Its just a little way up the road from the the Park Hotel Diane

Latest Posts

Top Bottom