IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Where do we get our Turkish news from these days?
I do not have a smart phone, so get mine mainly from Hurriyet online. I was wondering if there are other sources that members use. Preferably in English

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
I click on links on here and scroll through other stories or if I'm really bored I go to Bodrumhaber, which is more local (ex) interest for me.

Martin

Tenpin

The Yorkshireman
Daily Sabah is in English

enoch

I do not have a smart phone, so get mine mainly from Hurriyet online. I was wondering if there are other sources that members use. Preferably in English
Cumhuriyet daily is one of only a couple that is not under control. The computer translates automatically.

enoch

If you want one sided news use Daily Sabah.

enoch

I'm sure Camden will be a long to give you more names

Camden

When I have time ( at the moment plenty in lockdown ) I have always been a newspaper/media skimmer on twitter, till I find something that interests me .... I agree with posters that suggest taking in a broad spectrum of the Media , which is difficult as most Turkish media is in Govt control, and even those s that aren't, although courageous have to self censor to survive and report ...

I "was" an avid reader of the TDN from the Hürriyet till its owner was forced to sell to Pro Govt supporter .... I glance through the Sabah when I want the latest government propaganda ( though they have good expat/cultural non political pieces ) or the Yeni Şafak if I want to read crazy pro govt extreme policies.

But for alternative I read pieces from the courageous Govt Critical sites, though keeping in mind they still have a form of self censorship to survive and report. A mixture of popular centrist and left wing. "Sozcu" popular centrist as is "DuvaR." English version of the Cumhuriyet daily and on the left Bir Gun, Evernsel and for Minority rights Kurdish Alevi left perspective the Swedish funded Turkish "Bianet ".

I also read the banned "Ahval" , and "Occupy" and also the "now" hated ex presidents partner Gülen funded media "Turkish Minute" solely for insight in past/new AKP tactics for an Islamist take.

Last edited:

Kanga

This is my go-to site for Turkish news, and any other country in the world. The site is non-political/partisan, simply acting as a collator of all news and general interest articles about Turkey published world-wide, from Sabah to Bulgarian Military; RT, Guardian, to Washington Post, with everything in between.

j in bo

I enjoy reading the daily Sabah, Hurriyet and Ahval news online in English most days.
I decipher as follows.
The Ahval has the most informative items, posting negative and positive.

Harriyet, more easy reading and interesting, news stories.

My take on Daily Sabah
Sabah, a broadcast for coming government policies. Signalling stories or a reason to think a government policy will change in the near future. On this, I noticed about a month ago a softening of the argument on the long lasting policy for keeping interest rates low. Indeed a number of articles now appear regularly for the case for high interest rates. I have never read this in the Sabah! Signalling to me a major change on the way.
Another key part of the paper is it anti propaganda towards mainly European governments. Highlighting any small issue as a major incident to its Turkish readership.
Over the last week or two recognised a anti Russia line coming in editorials. Will we see, a cooling in relations?
I read into this, with the change in US president, the top man knows he had to move. Perhaps saying it's time for a new constitution is the main plan to head off what will be increasing pressure from the west.
Maybe am adding 2+2 and making 47!!!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom