Madwife

Where did our electric go?
I have just got home after 11 days on the Hillside. Didn't see anyone as I was hibernating.

The point of this new thread is to warn all about something that's happened to us. With hindsight we realise we've been naive but........

Our daughter was in our apartment until middle of October, and as I was going back at the end of Oct, we decided to keep the power on to run the fridge with some food stuff in it.

We've been writing down the electric meter readings at start & end of our stays. When Jaqui left there was 227000 units credit. When I got back on 30th it was reading 116666. That's 110334 units gone 'missing' in a couple of weeks!!! Which equates to hell of a lot of money! More in fact, than I used during my recent stay.

We've been told that there's been loud music etc coming from the (empty) apartment next to ours. Now, we're wondering, has someone been tapping into our electric via the sockets on the terraces?

We haven't any proof of this except our own records, but if anyone is thinking of leaving their power on while they're away, then DON'T.

We're not taking this lying down, but equally not holding our breath about any solution.

tusher

Teresa
Hi we had the same thing happen to us, we ended up paying equivalent to about £200 Sterling. Our villa was empty and of course we didnt think but the electric was on for the outside lights to come on but........ we have an outside power point and somebody obviously was using it. So out of pocket but now the electric is turned off!!!!! another point watch any outside water taps again somebody has been using our water so we now have padlocked iron boxes around them. Still next week we are over to live permanetly so hoping nothing like this will happen again, really annoys me paying money out for things we havn't used!!!!!! - Teresa

carolk

R.I.P
I have seen this so many times, including once, using my out side balcony plug to fix the pool!, I arrived back and promptly took the plug out. If you leave elec on some people will run their whole house from the outside plugs. :censored:

hijo

in my own clique
one of our friend in town had massive electric bills and we could,nt figure out why..she had a one bedroom appartment no washing machine and no dishwasher and only a 2 ring cooker ..so i went and looked at he meter only to find another 2 extra cables coming from it .going to 2 adjoining appartments ..one of whom was her turkish landlord..:27br:

dalyansteve

I am sorry, I'm actually laughing a bit here, you have to admire the shear affrontery of these people. I had a similar thing where this cable came from my house to the workshop next door!!! On checking , yes it was connected to the supply but before the meter so it did not cost me. I politely asked the neighbour to connect it to his supply, which he did and about 5 years later the electric company realized what he was doing and made him put a seperate meter on.
This is a minor example of what goes on over the whole country, but now the electric is privatised I expect a lot more people will be getting bigger bills or even having to pay for what they use.

hijo

in my own clique
..have also seen one villa,s turkish residents here ..going to another villa (the people were gone) and using their water supply to wash their car at least once a week ..also their outside electric point to mower their grass..so its nothing new here ..:slapme:

Bubskar

Sorry I'm not laughing really cos it's not funny but I am tittering at the thought of someone plugging into my balcony socket as I'm three floors up! Would it be worth absailing the building for a bit of lecky? Answers on a postcard :lock1:

johngood

you have got sigorta switches in your houses or flats turn the one off for outside sockets. keep power on one for fridge ect. or turn all of them off before you leave.

coupe

Our electric is activated by card slot like they have
in hotels so it goes off when we remove the card
but the fridge is on its own circuit and stays on unless you pull out the plug.

bev timms

bev timms
Same happened to us...our neighbours filled their swimming pool with our outside tap. Nice!!!

Jan

juco

Our electric is activated by card slot like they have
in hotels so it goes off when we remove the card
but the fridge is on its own circuit and stays on unless you pull out the plug.

I would double check as to where and what actually goes off when you take the card out.

Howell's

Same thıng happened to us thıs year. Went out one day and got to the end of the road then realısed ı had forgotten somethıng. When ı got back home 5 mıns later a buılder was usıng my electıc from the outsıde plug. When ı pulled the plug out and asked hım what he thought he was doıng he had the cheek to say ''no problem'' .
He soon realısed there was a problem when ı turned the trıp off and went back out for the day :)))

Jon & Mia

Madwife

You say you left the electric on to run the fridge - did you remember to unplg the boiler in the bathroom? if not the water would have been heating up all the time and this would account for a lot of the electric. we made that mistake first time and it cost us about £40 of electric. Now we unplug everything AND turn it off at the fuse box. The cleaners turn it on when they come to clean and we have asked them to remember to shut it off afterwards. If they don't it won't cause any loss as long as they don't plug the fridge and boiler in (which they shouldn't)

Madwife

Madwife

You say you left the electric on to run the fridge - did you remember to unplg the boiler in the bathroom? if not the water would have been heating up all the time and this would account for a lot of the electric. we made that mistake first time and it cost us about £40 of electric. Now we unplug everything AND turn it off at the fuse box. The cleaners turn it on when they come to clean and we have asked them to remember to shut it off afterwards. If they don't it won't cause any loss as long as they don't plug the fridge and boiler in (which they shouldn't)
Hi Jon. A very good point but, yes, everything was unplugged including the boiler apart from the frij. We have a friend (Brit) who comes in to switch everything on for us when we're coming out & also pops in the day after we leave to check we haven't done anything daft like leaving the boiler on. He says that the boiler definitely wasn't left plugged in, & that he didn't see anything else plugged in either. Utku says no one could have done this, but we're not as "trusting" as he seems to be. If it were a meter fault, then the usage would be very high during occupancy as well as when empty. Which it isn't. Well, this time everything is unplugged, all the switches are up and the main switch is off. Also got new locks fitted. So lets see what happens????? Thanks for your commiseration tho.

Maisie

Because of a similar problem to this, we identified which fuse switch controlled what. Time consuming, but easy to do. Walked round with a portable lamp for the sockets and turned all the lights on. By switching each fuse off one at a time, you can see what goes out. We then turned off the relevant fuses (for outside) each time we went out. Bit of an eye opener though to see what is on the same circuits! Some fuses only control one socket or overhead light, and others have a mixture of both. One or two are well overloaded. Turn them all off when we leave. Maisie

Latest Posts

Top Bottom