When is the weekly Side bazaar
Hi... I'm an American in Alanya, I'm coming to Side for the day but would like to come on the Bazaar day.. can anyone tell me what day that is ...I heard it's a really great one...

Any Americans there in Side???

Kathy:28:

Philogic

Hi Kathy. I think we call it the open air market which is on Saturday morning on a huge parking lot near the Red Lion pub and the Gazi Pasha Star hotel on the other side. I have been there twice, its no big deal just the normal stuff traders have moved from their shops to the market! Its just for tourists like the huge indoor market in Manavgat.
I am told that there is a market outside Manavgat which is used by mainly Turkish people. I dont know what day or where exactly. Maybe Manda or Angela can help.

Els

Hi Kathy, are you sure you don't mean the big Bazar in Manavgat? That one is very well known and is held on Mondays and Thursdays. Manavgat is only about 5 kms from Side. However, this bazar is very very touristy, with wall to wall imitation designer stuff. Don't know about the market outside of Manavgat mentioned by Philogic, but like he says one of the other Side ladies may know more.
Should you decide to skip the market, I think Side itself has plenty to keep you busy for a day, with several very historic sites (amphi theater, museum, Apollo Temple), nice harbor area etc.

angelaturkey

Days On The Beach in Side
I totally agree with Philogic and Els above ... the Saturday Bazaar here in Side is a dead loss really - just normaly stuff you see all over Old Town Side in the shops there anyway and a very very small couple of stands of fresh fruit and vegetables ... they don.t even like to haggle much there. Far far better is the Monday or Thursday Manavgat market day which is just 15 minutes from Side on the dolmus - loads of ladies with their fresh tomatoes potatoes lettuce pomegranates oranges etc and also the leather handbangs and T-shirts and toys for the children. İ was there yesterday and got 2 x packets of 10 dinosaurs for just 25 Lire! Lots of haggling and time consuming though.

İf you only have one day in Side İ suggest you come ınto the Otogar (bus station) and take the small tractor'Noddy Train ınto Antic Side and walk down the maın Hıgh Street there to the harbour area. Turn left and go to Apollo Temple (like the Acropolıs of Athens) then 3 restaurants after that you will see Paradise. Walk down their back staırs and across the rocks to the tables and chairs İN the rocks there - watch cats jump for their fısh dınner and crabs walkıng ın the pools by your feet - and the backdrop ıs the Apollo Temple. Wonderful at sunset wıth candles on the tables there - and no more expensıve than anywhere else. The trout ıs FAB!

İf you want to meet fellow Americans - have you tried the church in Antalya? That is run by a couple who are American. The service is held every Sunday at 11am and lots and lots of Americans and English and Dutch and Norwegian as well as Turks seem to go. Then afterwards have a FREE coffee at their little coffee bar below and chat to everyone there. İt is called St Pauls and İ have written up all about it on this Forum - or PM me ıf you like...Kind regards Angela - in Side now -

The Saturday market in Manavgat is held behind the Courts, the easiest way to get there is by taxi. This is a local market.

Sue

angelaturkey

Days On The Beach in Side
There is also a Wednesday market that all my Turkish neighbours go to for their fresh fruit and vegetables - it is just before Manavgat Centrum - next to the Police Station (Jandarma) there. Easy to get to on the dolmus from Side.:20:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom