traveller

Wheat & Gluton Free
Most UK supermarkets carry at least some gluten free products. Over here in Turkey you can get gluten free flour (Glutensiz Un) and also Muesli from Migros and Carrefour branches, but thats about it I'm afraid. I rely on visitors for biscuits and cakes.

saffie

Saffie
Wheat & Gluton Free
I also cannot tolerate gluten and I tried the gluten free muesli available here in Turkey.......Yyyeeeeukkkkk!!!!!

The flour is good and I make little pancakes and scones with it,adding soya flour to make it go a bit further. ( It's quite expensive) They did also sell some biscuits made by Eti which are nice.......think they are called Pro not,but I don't buy them often as have been trying to eat healthily. They were surprisingly inexpensive ( 1 TL a packet)

Tansas sometimes have spaghetti which is gluten free,but again is very expensive ( almost 10 TL a packet) so I buy that very rarely.

Not easy here to be coeliac as far as buying ready made products is concerned so it's a good job I love all the fruit,salad and veg here and of course, there's always rice to fall back on.

saffie

Guz1

Wheat & Gluton Free
Most shop bought gluten free bread is disgusting. One of my relatives bakes bread for me. Don't know whether you can get it in the UK and definitely wouldn't be available in Turkey, but she tells me that Odlum's Tetramyl is the best gluten free flour. One of the biggest problems with gluten free flour is that it loses its stickiness. Xantan Gum acts as a substitute for gluten, but you only need about a quarter the recommended amount. Don't know whether Xantan Gum is available in Turkey.

traveller

Wheat & Gluton Free
I also cannot tolerate gluten and I tried the gluten free muesli available here in Turkey.......Yyyeeeeukkkkk!!!!!

The flour is good and I make little pancakes and scones with it,adding soya flour to make it go a bit further. ( It's quite expensive) .....

Not easy here to be coeliac as far as buying ready made products is concerned so it's a good job I love all the fruit,salad and veg here and of course, there's always rice to fall back on.

saffie

You are right Saffie, it isn't easy. I make my own bread but I'm hopeless at baking cakes. I'm willing to share the bread recipe if anyone's interested.

Wheat & Gluton Free
This is a lousy country for choice in special diets I'm afraid. I also bring back most of my stuff. Migros carry a small diabetic range and nobody does sugar free sweets or anything.

saffie

Saffie
Wheat & Gluton Free
This thread has reminded me of a funny story.........

Last August I was returning from UK and got as far as the xray machine at Gatwick with my rucksack as hand luggage. I got stopped and the guy operating the machine took my rucksack and shoved it back through the machine a second time,whilst calling his mate over for a second opinion.

It went through again,and both men sat looking puzzled then grabbed the rucksack and turned it on it's back and shoved it through a 3rd time,again looking really puzzled. The guy then called a search officer over and told her to empty the rucksack,so I was asked to accompany her and the rucksack in another part of the airport to e searched. After emptying it all out,she held up a packet and yelled across...........wait for it............" Steve?? It's spaghetti!!"

He screwed his face up and asked her to repeat what she had said so she repeated" It's spaghetti..........4 packets of spaghetti!!"

The Steve guy then yelled out to me" Where exactly are you goin' Darlin"??" SO I meekly told him in a small voice" Turkey" and saw half the airport gawping at me. He then yelled out" Eh? Don't they have spaghetti in Turkey?" and I had to explain that they did,but not gluten free spaghetti. The place erupted in laughter and I was left to re pack my rucksack and toddle off complete with a red face.

:504xn:

saffie

Latest Posts

Top Bottom