ljmacca

whats the best way to transfer??
Hi,

I have a uk sterling account in the uk and both a gbp and ytl account here in Turkey, does anyone know what I would be charged for trnasferring cash from my UK account to my turkish ones, I'm trying to find out which one will be cheaper to do.

Thanks in advance for any help:50:

i think your bank will charge about 20 quid for the transaction, which can be done by phone ... make sure you have your iban. i'd suggest take it to your GBP account here, and withdraw in GBP, then shop around for best place (usually post office) or watch the markets for best time to change to TL. whatever you do, don't let your bank convert it to TL. i'd also recommend to anyone here that you'd be better of changing something to gold and silver ... sure, gold and silver prices could fall (they are highest ever and still rising) but it's still the surest way to cover ones ass.

val2661

I agree with Neil about exchange rates. I was given an exchange rate by the Bank recently of 2.3 TL/GBP when the Exchange rate was quoted as 2.7 TL/GBP. You can't transfer money with a telephone call from English to Turkish Bank, they need to see a copy of your signature on the instruction. I have done it previously with a fax instruction.

Val

If you have a HBOS account and do it online the charge is £9.50. You could transfer £ from your UK account to your £ Turkish account then convert it at the best exchange rate for you. The £9.50 charge is the cheapest I have seen, as most are around £20 or more.

Helenm150

i think your bank will charge about 20 quid for the transaction, which can be done by phone ... make sure you have your iban. i'd suggest take it to your GBP account here, and withdraw in GBP, then shop around for best place (usually post office) or watch the markets for best time to change to TL. whatever you do, don't let your bank convert it to TL. i'd also recommend to anyone here that you'd be better of changing something to gold and silver ... sure, gold and silver prices could fall (they are highest ever and still rising) but it's still the surest way to cover ones ass.
Hi Neil, what do you mean by the best way to cover ones ass - do you mean in respect of investing in gold or silver to give you a better return against lower interest rates or more than that? Regards, Helen

Hill

Online. Good advice. I wish it worked. I tried it with NatWest and found out that NW does it only to UK accounts, with sort code, but not the international IBAN transfers

Helenm150

With Garanti, to send GBP back to the UK through internet banking, first go into Forex and buy some GBP from your TL account and then make a GBP SWIFT transfer to your UK account. You first need to get the relevant minimum daily limits authorised by the bank and I had to go and sign forms for both Forex and SWIFT. I haven't actually tried it yet because I don't need any GBP just at the moment and am waiting for a better exchange rate. I have also applied for and received a sifrematik to receive a pin number for on line transactions - as I won't have a Turkish mobile number when I am in the UK. So, in theory, I am good to go but if it doesn't work I guess I can just send a fax ...........

Latest Posts

Top Bottom