Whats the best way to get curtains and bedding from UK to Turkey
Hi there

We have a new place just finished and hopefully get the keys next month whilst on holiday.
But in the meantime I have some new quilts , bedding , curtains, here in the UK and would want them for our place in Turkey.
How can i get them over in the best way please ?
Can i just parcel them up and airmail them to a friend to await our arrival or will customs hold them.
I think the shipping method with container is far to large for our needs as all the item swould fit in a large suitcase, although i guess that would be over 30kg lol !!

Any suggestions on how to do this best and cost effective would be great.

Crystalclear

Bebelka

We took all our sunderies over with us. We did get caught once and had to pay for being over the limit, but most of the time we have been very lucky.
You can always pay the exesses in advance, that is usually cheaper, and less stressful.
Every time I go over, I say this is the last load, it is very adictive, three years later still taking over a case full............Must stop, it is getting silly as you can get every thing over in Turkey now, it is just when you see things in the shop and think oooohh that would look lovely in the house.
Good luck, enjoy the house....

Peregrine

fly turkish airlines during an "off peak" period and just take a few extra bags

no problem - we did it 4 times

great airline and used to that sort of thing so dont seem to mind

We just put it in our cases, no problem take all the bedding curtains etc out of the packaging its surprising how much it weighs, bulky things like quilts put into strong black bags tied up, I am not sure how it works now with having to pay for luggage seperately on certain airlines but you could take as many bags as you like as long as it was under your 20 kg or what ever your allowance, thing like quilts are bulky but dont weigh much.

You can get carried away I know taking things with you, but remember the large stores like Metro etc sell most things as cheaply as home and if you shop around you can get some excellent quality curtains made to measure quite cheaply and they will come and measure up and come back to fit them for you, all part of the service.

Jane

Thank you
My problem is that we are flythomascook this holiday and 20 kg is our weight for hold luggage.
I cannot see where I can book more than 1 case and there excess I believe is something like £8 per kg over so that could be quite costly. And I also read that several peeps have been completely weighed (hand and hold luggage ) as of late and charged to the hilt for excess weight.

Has anyone parcel posted bedding / Textiles over to Turkey from UK and can they tell me how that went at all.

Any further suggestions great :10:

crystalclear

nanamo

We took all our duvets and covers over in suitcasese - we heard you cant buy duvets in turkey and didnt even know about custom regulations at that time. It just all went in a suitcase but one tip, take duvets out of plastic and put in bottom of suitcase and pack everything else on top that way it gets squashed it down and you can fit more in. Ive never posted items but a letter containing photos still has not arrived at its destination and we posted it two years ago. Molly

tomc1984

Never done it but have you tried using those vacuum bags that reduce size, guess weight must be reduced too, my worry would be that they expand on route.

Peter J

We used UPS to send over bedding etc in May 2006. There were two large boxes, they charged around 60-70GBP and it all arrived intact within about 5 days.

As we were so pleased with the service, we sent some more stuff out which weighed less, but because we had put a few used toys in (which we declared on the customs label), when the invoice came in, we found we had been charged about 500GBP duty which really didn’t make it cost effective. We might as well have booked an extra couple of flights and carried the stuff ourselves.

It’s worth checking with UPS and DHL whether you would be liable for any duty and what their current costs would be. Apart from the excessive duty, it was a good service and you can track your parcel all the way from the UK until delivery

Dee

Thank you
My problem is that we are flythomascook this holiday and 20 kg is our weight for hold luggage.
I cannot see where I can book more than 1 case and there excess I believe is something like £8 per kg over so that could be quite costly. And I also read that several peeps have been completely weighed (hand and hold luggage ) as of late and charged to the hilt for excess weight.

Has anyone parcel posted bedding / Textiles over to Turkey from UK and can they tell me how that went at all.

Any further suggestions great :10:

crystalclear

I have just had a look on their website and you can book extra luggage for £15 per 20 kg via your booking page or the call centre, have a look on

Jane

Last edited by a moderator:

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Duvets are readily available all over Turkey, but what about offering a friend or family member a free flight on condition you use their baggage allowance? Use them as a courier for your stuff. It might work out cheaper than paying excess or cargo.

Oh, and avoid using suitcases. Many of them weigh 5 or 6 kilos and are just eating-up your allowance. Pack everything into a large polythene bag and use gaffer tape or similar to secure it..

Last edited:
We used UPS to send over bedding etc in May 2006. There were two large boxes, they charged around 60-70GBP and it all arrived intact within about 5 days.

As we were so pleased with the service, we sent some more stuff out which weighed less, but because we had put a few used toys in (which we declared on the customs label), when the invoice came in, we found we had been charged about 500GBP duty which really didn’t make it cost effective. We might as well have booked an extra couple of flights and carried the stuff ourselves.

It’s worth checking with UPS and DHL whether you would be liable for any duty and what their current costs would be. Apart from the excessive duty, it was a good service and you can track your parcel all the way from the UK until delivery

Dee

Ouchhhhhhhh !! 500GBP duty what on earth did send the crown jewels.
I only want to get Textiles over ie bedding curtains and voils that i have made up myself to fit the windows.

crystalclear

Guz1

Vacuum bags are good for making space in the suitcase but they won't lighten the load. We brought a lot of stuff in suitcases. Do you need to bring it all on one trip or could you spread it out over a couple of trips - maybe leave the duvets until next time? We always found Turkish Airlines to be the most lenient on excess weight but this month they even weighed our hand luggage when leaving Dublin airport and told us we had reached our limit.

Use vacumn bags and don't use suitcases use very large holdalls, they usually weigh less than half of the suitcase weight. Only bring what you nee d for the summer, we brought our duvets one at a time each visit, you had to prioritise items.
Pegasus give you 25 kg hold, 8kg hand plus you can have a handbag.
Good luck

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
I have posted childs clothes for 2 years nothing ever went missing . But i send by registerd mail its not cheap , I went to the post office { UK } to have 2 pairs of curtains waighed ..... Cost £55 so i put them in my suitcase , You can buy Duvets in Turkey but not in different togs I bought winter ones in Fethiye and brought 4tog from Uk , The vaccume bags do not expand during the flight and if it did it won't matter as the case holds it down !!!! I also took my crown derby paper waights wrapped in a single duvet then vaccume bag in hard case , They weren't damaged at all . Arrange it with TC , and good luck ,

Vacume bags are great it's amazing how much you can get in them! We worked out that it cost less to pay excess than to send with UPS and you have your things with you!!

Perhaps you can leave the quilts until after the summer you wont need them until at least Oct, I can just about suffer a sheet over me until then and thats with the air con on.

Jane

littledave

littledave
hi crystalclear, i maybe wrong but someone told me that english bed sizes may differ from turkish size beds... we bought our bed and bed linen from ikea in izmir, found it to be very reasonably priced.. we would of like turkish made furniture but found it wasnt cheap and couldnt of been made quick.. good luck. like i say dont hold me to that..

miela

The only things that I haven't brought over are the settee, bed, cooker and fridge, but I have a friend who has taken a very large rug, gas bbq, all of her lamps, duvets, cuttlery, plates, pots and pans. There is a section in the flythomascook website under extras called:

"Bundle Deal

Book In-flight meals, seats together and extra baggage in a special bundle deal and and we will take off £3! Only £16.50 per person per flight, go ahead, book a bundle and save some dough.

In-flight Meals
Get a 3 course meal and coffee or tea and discover a mouth-watering range of meals and snacks on board our in-house Thomas Cook Airlines flights. Normal price £7.50 per per person each way when you book your flight

Seats Together
Make sure that you and your party will be seated together when you fly by booking in advance. Normal price £5 per person each way when you book your flight

Hold Baggage
Check-in baggage is NOT included in the flight cost. You can add 20kg of check-in hold baggage for just £8.00 per person each way.

Reserve the bundle deal when you book your flight
You can easily add this special bundle deal when you book your flight"

I think you can take extra baggage over and above the 20kg but if you turn up at the airport with bags that are too heavy they will charge you quite a bit more than that. Vac bags are really great, and just take less clothes and wash them rather than lots of clothes that you probably wont wear at all.

Bedding, in turkey a double bed is what we in the UK call a King Size, so buy king size bedding.

Good Luck

Last edited:
You can take extra with Thomas Cook, £7 per kilo booked in advance or £8 per kilo if you just turn up at the airport with the excess (this is over any baggage you have booked with your ticket)

Latest Posts

Top Bottom