what would you recommend
Theres been an increase in swine flu deaths in Turkey and tomorrow they will start vaccinating kids in schools.
İve been asked by Yusufs sister whether she should let them have the jab or not.
İ haven't been following Swine Flu lately..and i dont know what to advise...
its really important as her oldest girl is now 15 and had Rheumatic Fever when she was 7..she still gets prophylactic penicillin every month..i think her immune sytem isnt the best as she has had other things..although to look at her she looks really healthy.
Theres also a massive campaign on Turkish Tv about hand washing coughing sneezing etc..really making people very afraid.
..its not easy to tell her what to do although they always trust my advice. although i was a Heath Visitor in the uk rightly or wrongly i wasnt 100% in favour of immunisations and never pushed any mother to have their kids done.
İ would welcome any comments..
whats the situation like now in the Uk.

jcrian

what would you recommend
Personally I won't have the vaccination after being offered it and doing a lot of research. The trials for this vaccine is virtually non existant compared to trials to licence other drugs.

We are told it is safe to have it but no one knows about the long term effects it might cause.

There is another thread on the swine flu vaccine with other peoples comments and also a poll.

what would you recommend
flu is a killer in any language, it takes no prisoners ,especialy if you have an underlying illness.
A flu jab may not stop you from getting the flu but from what i understand it dose reduce the effect.

countryboy

Last edited:
what would you recommend
This is a really hard one Shirley,,I was also a R/N in UK,,but as i worked with adults I wasnt involved re immunisations. Due to her immune system prob's you would tend to think yes she should have it,,,but then I'm not up to date with current research on this issue,,or the trials/safety of this vaccine. Is the prob worse here than UK and are they immunising children in the UK,,also what actions are other euro zone countries taking? Sorry I haven't much help have I? Sorry to say but i'm glad i don't have to make that decision.

bebs

what would you recommend
Ireland have already immunised people at risk and pregnant women,next on list are young children at junior school .Personally i will take the vaccine when offered.,-Bebs

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
what would you recommend
Oh Shirley what a hard choice . I think that has the girls immune system is low and she's in the age group that seem more at risk I'd say yes get the jab . I can't see the makers of it risking half the worlds health . Not after the thelidamide { excuse spelling } disaster years ago . Its a case of you can't do right for doing wrong !! In the end it has to be the parents decision . You can only explain what you know about it . ....Diane

abla

what would you recommend
I am not happy about this vaccine but think that those who are already in the low immuninty state need the help that it MAY provide.Who knows Shirley but I would say yes in your situation.

juco

what would you recommend
I am not going to go into detail here but if you google it there is masses of information about swine flu.
There are too many issues regarding this vaccine.
I for one will refuse it, and I DO have underlying health issues, but everyone to their own.

what would you recommend
Personally I wouldn't have the jab as I don't think its been tested enough, my daughter in the UK who is pregnant refused the swine flu jab as she wasn't happy about having this when expecting.

Sue

Modgirl

what would you recommend
Theres been an increase in swine flu deaths in Turkey and tomorrow they will start vaccinating kids in schools.
İve been asked by Yusufs sister whether she should let them have the jab or not.
İ haven't been following Swine Flu lately..and i dont know what to advise...
its really important as her oldest girl is now 15 and had Rheumatic Fever when she was 7..she still gets prophylactic penicillin every month..i think her immune sytem isnt the best as she has had other things..although to look at her she looks really healthy.
Theres also a massive campaign on Turkish Tv about hand washing coughing sneezing etc..really making people very afraid.
..its not easy to tell her what to do although they always trust my advice. although i was a Heath Visitor in the uk rightly or wrongly i wasnt 100% in favour of immunisations and never pushed any mother to have their kids done.
İ would welcome any comments..
whats the situation like now in the Uk.
I won't have it myself keep extra extra clean wash hands, after you do any chore and buy a bottle of "spirigel" use this on the door handle's when cleaning but keep personnel hygine at your highest level.

what would you recommend
Blimey Shirl
The million dollar question
This Swine Flu seems to be pretty mild with the majority and some feel rough for a few days without realising they have it.
Having said already that I am not bothered about Swine Flu, it does seem to be causing more serious symptoms in the young particularly with underlying conditions and pregnant mothers
I would be concerned if a mother turned down the vaccine for her child if they had health problems and I would be mortified if my pregnant wife refused the vaccine as I think that is mad when another life is involved and growing. I would prefer the risk from the vaccine to the health risk from the Swine Flu for a pregnant woman but thats just me as I think they are mad to smoke too.
In your case therefore I would say yes .
If healthy and older and not pregnant, I wouldnt be bothered as it appears so mild in general

alison09400

what would you recommend
We won't be having our 3 children vaccinated as like many have already said there are too many things not known about the vaccine. Our 13yr old was taken to hospital on Thursday morning with symptoms that had me convinced he had swine flu...but the hospital said his blood tests were clear and he just had a bad cold. Now our 16yr old has the same....coughing, high temperature and sore head. Their fevers seemed to break after 48 hours but the coughings continuing.

They say that those with underlying illnesses are at a higher risk so it's a hard decision for your family Shirley.

Peaceplant

Cat mad and unashamed
what would you recommend
Vitamin D is fantastic against flu. As sun is non-existant here we take a supplement every day.

As for figures reported on Swine Flu cases they are a farce. I was off work with cold symptoms and diarrhoea and my boss asked me to do the Swine Flu thing online. Hey presto I was diagnosed with it and offered a prescription. I officially became another government figure and have never had it.

Bibby

Ferretbrain
what would you recommend
Vitamin D is fantastic against flu. As sun is non-existant here we take a supplement every day.

As for figures reported on Swine Flu cases they are a farce. I was off work with cold symptoms and diarrhoea and my boss asked me to do the Swine Flu thing online. Hey presto I was diagnosed with it and offered a prescription. I officially became another government figure and have never had it.

Yes, I must admit, I was wondering how accurate the figures are. I mean, even flu, -how many people REALLY have flu when they say they have it? Most people say they have flu when really it's just a common cold. It's like Migraine, people with headaches say they have Migraine. Then there's the people who want to skive off work who say they have the symptoms.

BTW, what DOES differentiate Swine flu from bog standard Flu??

GnD

what would you recommend
I think swine flu is merely this year's flu stream.

All of us would refuse this vaccine. It's processing odds. You Might catch Swine Flu ?% but if you have the jab you are 100% getting a dose of something and your body may not react well.

I think as with Sars, Bird flu etc previously the Government are pushed to control flu, in this Nanny state of ours and they offer the vaccine around due to media scare mongering.

1000mg of vitamin C daily and or Manuka Honey (that old chestnut!! :p) and your defences are as strong as they can be. That's what mine take around December Jan Feb so they are strong enough not to fall ill during exams. Doesn't totally stop you getting it but you get it so much milder that you can carry on and fight it off more quickly.

louise17

what would you recommend
I know many adult healthcare professionals in the UK who have had the vaccine without any problems, also many who have opted not to have it. Personally I think yes the figures are inaccurate due to people not being tested & the symptoms can be vague & fit with many other viruses. I am not 100% sure about the vaccine for myself or my daughter yet, neither have underlying health issues. My problem is she had all the childhood vaccines without question, including MMR, lots of children had mumps as a child without problems, so why do we vaccinate against this too? I don't want to start the MMR debate again, but that was all scaremongering & look at the measles problem since.There are so many vaccinations for children now, meningitis etc that I am not sure it is right to rule this one out because it is new, I understand it has been around for a year or more as this pandemic (?) of flu has been predicted for a long time. I guess I am pleased I don't have to make a decision just yet. If I had to answer today my answer would probably be yes.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom