peter the postie

Wer'e not really here
What would we do now without the internet?
Its a serious question. Denise is'nt a user and is very quick to mention the evil of the net when it is warranted, but when we were last out in Altinkum we got talking about it and Martyn & I put forward its many pro's.
There were a hell of a lot!

As as an example, I came home from work yesterday and Denise gave me the news that the fridge section of our fridge freezer was no longer cooling. Now if I had'nt had the net we'd have probably been taking a trip into town today to buy a new one would'nt we?
Instead I googled "Daewoo fridge not cooling" and within an hour our fridge was working again :)

I also fixed our combi boiler earlier this year, saving a fortune in labour costs AND I also got the part I needed off Ebay :biggrin1:

So... What would life without the net be like nowadays?

Tess

Good question Pete, seriously couldn't do without it now, and if you had asked this question of me about 3 years ago I would have laughed at the idea of me using a computer never mind the net.

JEANNIE

Going to get Thinner
Good question Pete, seriously couldn't do without it now, and if you had asked this question of me about 3 years ago I would have laughed at the idea of me using a computer never mind the net.

SNAP. Not very good at it but i'm trying. :77wu:

Jeannie

Martyn

Use the net for everything from diy to purchases. You can save a fortune buying on the net.

bobthenob

Non Active Member
Many reasons why the computer is avery important tool to have.
1/lt tells you of all the pitfalls buying abroad and how to avoid fraudulant agents
2/Everyday for me is a wealth of knowledge.l log on the science websites and nature.lt is like having a teacher there.
3/To send e-mails by a press of a button,without the burden of going to the post office and waiting for the letter to arrive,lf it ever gets there.
4/l love sharing my knowledge with others and the response from others is a learning process.
There are so many reasons,but of course there is the evil side of the computer that can harm someone's mental state.That is something that must be avoided

Peregrine

Its a serious question. ...................

So... What would life without the net be like nowadays?

probably what it was like before e-mail, mobile phones, digital cameras, and the fax. A lot slower.

The pace of life has changed with this "must have it now" digital age

When I started work you didnt dial 9 to make an outside call, you picked up the phone ant the switchboard operator (or one of them) gave you a line.

You wrote a letter and it came back from the typing pool the next day, you posted it and 2 days later you got a reply - none of this "I sent you an e-mail 10 minutes ago but yoiu havent replied" nonsense

Progress? not always for the good - dont believe everything yopu read on the net (btw computers are inanimate and cant tell you anything. You have to read and interpret whats there)

Carolk - you wouldnt be lost but might actually be found!!

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
When I worked in the Government I was Project Manager for the many computerised benefit systems that are now in place, those times were fraught with worries about how it would affect our customers if we didn't get it right, and we didn't always, but we had to move forward to keep up with the speed of change throughout the world. We all know of the evil deeds that some have committed on the internet, that is sickening for those unfortunate minds to want to delve into. We all now have much more information on Government, legal, social and medical facts that we never had access to before.

Now I mostly use it for my personal banking, hardly ever visit the bank nowadays, trawling for goods, recently purchased a power washer, lawn strimmer, printer, and many more without even leaving my chair.

Keep up with friends around the world via e mails, and sharing of "smiles" to brighten our days, my hubby rarely used the computer he is a runner and he now uses it to keep us with the ins and outs of their clubs'. Since I was introduced to the wonderful world that is TLF, I'm totally addicted.

So, you're right PTP, where would we be?

:20:

Spyrogal

Sally from Yali
I'd get more done around the house if I wasn't online so much - however, I have to say the pros outweigh the cons, as email and Facebook keep me in touch with friends and family far away, I have fixed numerous things at home and at work using the internet as a "teacher", from leaking taps to son's Wii, we book all our hols using it and at work we use the net for research.
I love the instant access aspect of it, but hate those who sit next to you at work who say "email me" - maybe it's so they can have a hard copy in case of litigation/blame but it will never replace the interaction of the spoken word. I like being able to email letters and get quick replies, when they can be just a word or two but I like getting postal letters even more.
So, I'm glad we have it , my life is richer for it, but like the TV - i can live without it.

:roundgrin

Sally

Martyn

I love the instant access aspect of it, but hate those who sit next to you at work who say "email me" - maybe it's so they can have a hard copy in case of litigation/blame but it will never replace the interaction of the spoken word.

As they say, at work an email is not to inform the reader but to protect the writer. I keep work emails going back three years :roundgrin

Lillylilly

Ex Altinkum Resident
We would never have heard of Altinkum..........I doubt lots more would nt have. Altinkum would probably still be a little village with one local Emlak. We probably would nt have moved without the easier communication via the computer. I have been doing e mails for ten years now, only having one friend from USA at first then telling everyone they would be doing it in the future to cries of "nah I cant use a computer".

Martyn

I used to use an Amstrad PC1512(2 x 5 1/4 floppy drives) on BBS's in the 80's before the web, as it is now, was around.

The web is the very first resource I use for anything.

tomc1984

Not sure what I would do without my PC,let me go on facebook for a while and think about it!

maggie

I would be totally lost without TITUS my putta.

When one of my sons first bought a computer I vowed never to go near it I was scared of this thing lurking in the depths of his bedroom that could do so much just by typing a few keys.

He put a photo of me as his screen saver I was amazed that somehow I had appeared on his computer.

I turned down several jobs as I realized I coudnnt do them as I was not computer literate.

I thought I must get with it bought myself a computer and gradually trawled the great wide world web.I learnt how to look up things,book tickets on line,order goods on line,post pictures send e mails.

I joined Face- book,signed up to Msn and the most important thing joined TLF.
Here I have met through my computer a whole new world of friends I dont claim to know anything about computers or their workings but I do know I can ask one of you computer geeks to help me and within minutes you have come up with an answer.

My computer also helped me buy my villa here in Turkey.
Every now and then I give TITUS a good old dust and tell him I love him to bits.

Hugs Maggie xxx

We'd probably be alot healthier!

I think the bad points are worse than the benefits. After all our health is far more important than any benefit of having the internet.

Back and neck pain, Sitting for hours on end at a computer is bad for your back.

Poor blood circulation to lower limbs due to sitting for long hours.

RSI to arms and hand

Eye strain.

Headaches.

Arguments with other half for staying on computer too long. LOL

These are just a few!

I'll have to go the wifes told me to get off computer now, I've been on it too long today. :77wu:

Before I retired to Turkey I used the internet all the time as part of my job, but rarely in my private life with the exception of ordering books from Amazon. Now it's difficult to see how I would manage without it!! Particularly for banking, telephone calls via Skype and on-line shopping - I shop and my friends either bring it out or post it to me, although I order from Amazon direct as they deliver to Turkey. I also use email and Facebook, read the UK and Turkish newspapers, check the weather, do a daily jigsaw and scan the TV listings.

Like I said - how would I manage without it?

how did we live before we had candles,
and then oil lamps
then lekky
and then the wireless
and then the telly
and then playstation
and now what did we do before the NET..
i hate to think about it....i dont want to think about it...its too horrible stop it Pete..!

Top Bottom