Firebrand

What Turkish dish are you best at cooking?
If I do say so myself, I make a pretty good Kunefe. The cheese that you are supposed to use - Lor? - doesn't seem to be available in the UK, so I use a mixture of ricotta and mascarpone instead. Which I realise makes mine more of an adaptation than a strict follower, but I have had no complaints so far. So much so that this is the pudding we have following xmas dinner here (that's what a cross cultural marriage gets you!).

The only problem that I find is with buying the kadiyaf pastry from the shops here - quite often it has started to go off long before it's sell by date, which is a pain as I tend to bulk buy it when I am near a middle eastern shop and then freeze it when I get home.

Does anyone else have a special Turkish dish to bring to the masa? We can have a virtual picnic!

What Turkish dish are you best at cooking?
I not sure what its called "bulgar Pillau" but I love it, not even sure its the right receipe but it taste the same.

Fry onion and garlic in oil until soft then add red pepper paste you know the one in the big jars you get in all the supermarkets, add the bulgar (I like the larger grain one but cant seem to get it at home so use the small grain) and cover with stock, then depending on the size of grain either simmer until cooked or steam for 10 mins.

I tried a really nice receipe the other day not sure how turkish it is but tasted really good

1 teaspoon of each turmeric, paprika and cumin, sprinkle half over chicken pieces, and fry until browned take out of the pan and add 2 large onions chopped and garlic fry for a few minutes and then add the other half of the spices cook for another couple of minutes then add the chicken back and cover with 500ml of chicken stock and season with salt and pepper, cover and cook for 30 mins then add the bulgar and add more water to cover if needed then again depending on bulgar either steam or cook for longer. Not in the receipe but when cooked I sprinkled it with pine nuts and raisens.

Really nice served with a salad

Jane

Latest Posts

Top Bottom