Fran Dessop

What to take on Holiday - Lira or Pounds (TL or GBP)?
From the little that I've read on the subject I am getting the impression that our holiday money might be half and half. Meaning, take Turkish Lira to get by for the first few days, but also take Sterling (Pounds) and exchange them on holiday.

Could any of you wise travellers and semi-permanent residents shed any words of wisdom. Would appreciate your help.
Thanks
Fran. x

eshek

Re: Lira or Pounds (TL or GBP)?

Could any of you wise travellers and semi-permanent residents shed any words of wisdom.

None of the above - I only live here on a permanent basis.

I would take GBP - change what you require at the airport and change at a registered Doviz - they tend to give a better exchange rate.

barry budd

QPR MAN

best to take a small amount of lira (get from post office in uk) better rate
on line even better

then change sterling at the post office in turkey(better rate again)

TCJ

I wouldn't change any money at an airport, either in the UK or Turkey, as you get a terrible rate. Unless you have a terrible debit card (e.g. Halifax Debit*, Santander, Lloyds, NatWest) you would probably be better off withdrawing from airport ATM to get you started. You can usually get ATM location map on airport sites.

* Don't confuse this with Halifax Clarity which is one of the best for taking abroad.

Last edited:

bigalant

Change as VERY little as possible at the airports!!!!

Aports notoriously give the worse rate available

In full agreement .

You can get pretty good rates delivered to your door in the uk .
Shop around on the internet .

I get my best rates when in Turkey at either a post office or via a turkish person wanting to change from Tl to,UK pounds .
Bar owners,shop owners etc .

I never would change money at the airport in Turkey or at departure airport in UK.

Enjoy .The pound is buying Tl at a real good rate at the moment .

BruceK

I would get yourself a Halifax Clarity Credit Card. There are no charges for withdrawals from a 'foreign' ATM, and you get the actual Mastercard exchange rate -

https://www.mastercard.com/global/currencyconversion/index.html

I just checked todays rate for the TL - 3.766, I doubt any FX company could beat that.

However for a cash withdrawal you pay 1% interest per month from the time you make the withdrawal until you pay your bill. But do the arithmetic, if you take £1000 cash out at the beginning of a fortnights holiday, then pay it off when you get home , that's about £5 in interest. Obviously if you defer taking out cash until you need it you pay less interest.

Also you are not carrying wads of cash and only withdraw what you need so no redundant currency left at the end which has to be converted back to Sterling.

I use one for all my foreign holidays and think it's great. By the way I do not work for Halifax Bank of Scotland!

Last edited:

Mushroom

If you are planning on making purchases out there, whether it is supermarket shopping, meals in restaurants or whatever, and don't want to be bothering with cash I would recommend the Post Office Visa card which converts the purchase cost from TL to GBP in the statement at market rates without charging any commission.
You just have to make sure it is paid off at the end of the month and remember that it does charge for cash withdrawals at an ATM so my advice would be to take enough Lira to arrive with via somewhere like Asda in the UK, then take GBP to exchange in Turkey, but if the thought of arriving with a wad of cash is a bit daunting (and the easiest thing to be stolen) the credit card can provide you with a bit more security.

Akasya

Postless Pointer

Behind Migros in Gulluk is a PTT , ( post office ) signed in black and yellow.
They publish daily rates for GBP into lira.

They count it out properly and issue a printed receipt clearly explaining the transaction.

Very handy and IMHO trustworthy.

Steve.

Fran Dessop

All excellent advice and food for thought. The card seems the best way. And of course the Post Office in Gulluk.
Brilliant!
Thanks everyone
Fran

BruceK

Remember if you use your card abroad always opt to pay in the 'native' currency, otherwise the Hotel, Restaurant, ATM etc. will convert at a very poor exchange rate.

Philogic

As mentioned above use the PTT [official post office] to change Sterling, they will give the proper rate but charge you 2%. I had to show my passport once when changing a large wad. Be aware there are lots a change shops called 'Post Office'. Use the official PTT.

Cherian

Cherry

Surely the rates will come down, so we are thinking of buying our spending money for May now on the internet as the rate is nearly a third again on what we got last year?

Chinook

Remember if you use your card abroad always opt to pay in the 'native' currency, otherwise the Hotel, Restaurant, ATM etc. will convert at a very poor exchange rate

You'll probably get no option but to pay in TL but its the Card providers who convert at a very poor rate of exchange and probably charge you a fee for doing so and not the hotel etc. . In some of the larger holiday resorts and certainly in marinas Euros are charged resulting in a double dip into low exchange rates and if its a card based in the USA eg American Express there is often an extra dip into your funds as it gets converted into and out of US dollars as well.

Don't forget to take your Visa money for the airport! At least till April - £10 each.

No need you can get an E visa in advance on line for visits before 10 April and if you forget after 10 April there will be kiosks set up to get themat arrival airports.

Last edited:

Mushroom

No problem with the Post Office Visa card. No commission on purchases and good exchange rates. And its still available.

we took pounds had no problem in getting fantastic rates last month considering the lira has dropped drastically against the pound.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom