Martyn

What is the worst and shortest job you ever had?
Well a lot of us are getting on here and in the early days wouldn't have been as well protected as workers are today. I was wondering what is the worse job you ever had? Mine was in about 1967 I think when I was 17. Me and my brother got a job in a sweatshop of a place called Anchor Glass. It was near where the Brent Cross Shopping Centre is now. The place made glass phials so you can imagine the heat in there as the long tubes of glass were cut into short sections and made into phials. We worked the first day and on the second day we both worked on the same machine. I was on the front end loading all the long tubes on to a large round drum. This part of the process from the start took about 15 minutes before the tubes got to the last part of the machine. At this point the tubes were taken off by the operator(my brother) with a long wooden pole with lots of rods on the end so you could handle many phials. My brother said he was off to the toilet and I didn't think he would be long so I started the machine off. Well 5 minutes went by then 10 minutes and still no sign of him and I started to panic as the phials started to pile up so I ran to the end of the machine and tried shoveling the phials off. At that point the middle section got jammed and the whole thing started smashing glass everywhere. Well he came walking back with the newspaper under his arm without a care in the world and we ended up walking out. 1 1/2 days :happy:

GnD

The job was highly sensitive and ridiculously pressured anyway, but Job sharing with a woman who deleted files and folders or repostioned them in my work folder to suggest I had done it, she lied, manipulated and swore daily. I agreed new work procedures with her and colleagues ( I was taken on to streamline processes, much to her chagrin) but she would just stop them without saying anything and we would have to discover it few weeks down the line.

Entered errors in a package that I was suppost to maintain alone, so as to look as though I had done it. She would insist I had input against new practice rules - that I had set up! The only person who had known this package had left and during my lunch hours had to work through sometimes to catch up and correct her errors, but also to read the manual for this package to try to ascertain who had done what.

You don't know for how long I thought I was going mad, I actually doubted me on the worse days. But I caught her out with proof as she forgot she logged on and I could prove via her password log in backdated - PHEW.

She used to say one thing and do totally the opposite! She did it through lack of confidence to keep the new girl looking new and her as the one to sort things. Of course she could she knew where she'd put it, but would be furious when I found it outside the normal directory files!

It wasn't until it all came out they told me it had all happened with the lady I replaced, who had only lasted 6 months!!!! Yet I was all over the place trying to juggle the work along with the daily "catch up corrections". Wish they had been honest with me a year or so earlier. I kept it together for nearly a year before I thought no one can get on with this woman.

I think I might have bent Shirley's ear over all that a couple of times?? Cheers Shirley! I did require regular venting or I would have exploded. Nightmare!

If anyone is watching Celebrity Kim reminds me of her somewhat! ergh!!!!!!

Last edited:

carolk

R.I.P
3 days in a butchers/cold meats shop, he asked me to wash all the tiled walls down when it closed for half day Wed (remember those days lol) I walked out so two and a half days. Had another job by Friday!!!

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
When I was in my teens and studying I took a part-time job in Fine Fare (supermarket), packing shelves for pocket money, the manageress Mrs Hill (I'll never forget her) was a demon, I lasted 3 days.

Martyn

Actually I just remembered another bad one. You can see i was well educated :lol: I also worked at Initial Towel as a Van Boy when i was 17. So me and the driver used to deliver towels, tea towels and roller towels to all sorts of places including restaurants, school canteens and the like. One of our visits used to be to Golders Green Crematorium and i used to have to go into the room where the bodies were drained on the slab. Most of the time there was a body on the slab with a white sheet over it and I had to change the roller towel in the machine with my back to the body. My driver used to have great fun making me jump with all sorts of tricks. :Cry:

I had a series of crap jobs when I first left college.

It seemed like a good idea to go temping to gain work experience in the office but I ended up being sent to all sorts of places:

Cleaning bathrooms in an old peoples home
Fruit packing on an assembly line
Fruit picking
Packing tulips in a cold barn

All good training in knowing how to operate a typewriter :)

Soo x

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
working 12 hours saturdays at the scotch produce centre near stockport mainly in the freezer/chillers, i lasted 2 saturdays ! it paid £2.50 for the 12 hours ! mind you a pint was only about 12p then !

martin

Martyn

working 12 hours saturdays at the scotch produce centre near stockport mainly in the freezer/chillers, i lasted 2 saturdays ! it paid £2.50 for the 12 hours ! mind you a pint was only about 12p then !

martin

That's right 2s 6d for a pint about 8 to a £ . That must of been around 1966.

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
1976 !!!! manchester boddingtons prices !!!

martin

I had 3 memorable jobs.

1) Professional stud - I only lasted a few minutes at this!
2) Wringer out for a one armed window cleaner - tried to twist the bosses arm for a pay rise but never got one.
3) Self employed businessman making self cleaning ashtrays for motorbikes - the ash took off before the business did.

Moggycat

Yes......., It was 1959, I was 15 and had just returned to the UK after living in Sri Lanka for nearly 2 years where Dad was stationed with the RAF, we had been allotted temporary accommodation on Portland near Weymouth, money was tight so I had to look for a job, I was told that I could earn really good money working piece rate at The Weymouth Radio Factory, so off I went and got a job, my part of the process was making H coils for radios, this involved winding fine copper wire, by hand round things that looked like tiny cotton reels, when the tray was full they then had to be dipped in boiling wax, again by hand and then went to be tested. My H coils always came back as no good, I wonder why???? The place itself was awful, dark, dirty, smelly, no windows that I could see out of, you wasn't allowed to talk to the person next to you on the bench, Music While You Work blaring out all day and you had to clock out even to go to the toilet. I managed to last out 10 days there and my enormous wage was,
£1 17s 6d for the ten days I had worked. Maggycat

magpie

magpie
Cracking nuts for gummy monkeys, leading blind dogs out to pee, picking crap with the crows - just a few of the jobs I was threatened with if I didn't do well in school. Looking back they don't seem half bad in comparison to some of the jobs I had.

I worked in a fart spray and silly string factory when I left school, it was stinking dirty, freezing cold and the smell of big vats of liquid fart spray first thing in the morning was quite disgusting.

But where theirs muck theirs money as they say and it was quite good pay for a seventeen year old so I stuck it out for a year or so.

Jane

Bibby

Ferretbrain
Remember ABC Bakery? I got a Saturday job there. It was on the days of ha'pennies (before decimalisation). The cakes had fake cream. The place had a smell to it (yes, cakes and bread, -that's it). I couldn't add to save my life, let alone subtract (for the change). I lasted 3 (or 4 Saturdays) then was told "It isn't working out"..... -HURRAH!!!!!

ChrisBobs

Twentyfive years ago - I hitched into Edinburgh with a pound left on me, and next day started at Wimpey's on Princes St- frying and shovelling chips. It was Festival time and crowded. The job was to push the button to lower one basket of chips into fry, while the next one came out - throw into the draining tray, salt and shovel into buckets....' More Chips'! - it was like the Magician's Nephew ...work faster and faster...More Chips! Heat , spitting fat, salt, and chips... when things 'eased off' I was sent around the tables to clear and wipe them, then back to ' More Chips' !!! At 10pm when I knocked off- I said thanks , pay me- and I was gone! Stank of oil for days!
Then I started at worse-than-'Fawlty Towers! hotel! ( but that was fun!)

angelaturkey

Days On The Beach in Side
Like 'Rainbow' I have been a temp in many a strange place but the 2 that come to mind the most are (1) Deutsche Bank in the City in London where I was sent to temp in the typing pool in the days before even electric typewriters - no talking - no giggling - no eating at your desk - so we girls arranged to Wink and then meet in the loo and chat - I lasted one week. (2) Another temp job in London - and only about 3 years ago when I was 56 years old - I had registered with a very upmarket London Temp Agency and was sent on my first assignment - I got dressed in a smart dark trouser suit with white blouse - when I arrived at the Docks area of London to this dingy dark building and pressed the doorbell, I was told to walk up the staircase - when I arrived a 'Tart' with dyed blonde hair + micro mini skirt in bright red leather + long white boots answered the door and invited me in - it was just her + The Boss who was covered in scars and tattoos and wanted me to type the story of his life - they went off for the day and left me in a locked room typing. The story was of his life at sea and how he had rammed certain things up certain bottoms on his journeys, the whores he had had, the women he had all over the world - and every other word was a swear word. I should have walked out at the end of the day when they both returned and unlocked the door to me and my typing - but I was fascinated and went back for 2 more weeks !!! He offered to pay me in cash if I would come back on week 3 but No, that was enough - it never did get any better - and in fact the 2 of them invited me to stay with them on the boat they had harboured nearby as my journey to that 'office' was 1.5 hours each way - but I preferred to go home 'safe' !! PS: Never did finish that autobiography and often wondered if it did get published?!

Saoirse

worst job I ever had was as a moruary attendant

I remember one day in particular when a widow asked me to make sure her hubby was laid out in a black suit. Unfortunately there were 2 deceased in our morgue at the time and the other deceased family had left a blue suit for us to dress him in.

When the widow returned she went nuts as the suits had got mixed up and her hubby was dressed in blue! She asked me to sort the matter.

Just before the removal for burial the widow approached me after viewing her hubby and thanked me for him now being in a black suit

"You got a chance to re-dress him then " she said. "No" I replied "I just swapped the heads!"

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom