pldouglas

What do Turkish people miss when away?
We hear lots from europeans about what we miss about our home countries when we are in Turkey, which made me wonder what Turkish people miss about thier homeland when they are abroad?

jimskem

My Turkish mate who lives near me in England, misses Raki, cards at the Tea Room, Raki,
and cards at the Tea Room, in that order.
Also Bread, but maintains he can get by without the bread.

Firebrand

I know my husband misses the warmth of the people, and the warmth of the culture. In Turkey friends and family are always dropping by, whereas here in the UK we pretty much have to make appointments to see people.

pldouglas

This is making me remember why we bought in Turkey in the first place - it was the lovley people and the simple pleasure of drinking tea with friends.

ChrisBobs

The football-( husband), and my mother-in-law got a special satellite to get her favourite soaps, but she couldn't cope with the flour- couldn't get her borek right.!!

pldouglas

Thats 2 references to bread and flour. I too much prefer the bread in Turkey, so whats the difference in the flour which presumably goes into making the bread there. The bread in GB is generally pretty awful doughy stuff which I find more indigestable as the years go by!

Thats 2 references to bread and flour. I too much prefer the bread in Turkey, so whats the difference in the flour which presumably goes into making the bread there. The bread in GB is generally pretty awful doughy stuff which I find more indigestable as the years go by!

Very true, can't find any really nice bread in UK.

zuberdust

IM THE BESTEST :)
lol make bread yourself! shop bought bread is crap! u can get bread machines if you cannot make by hand (hand is better)... so no excuses lol ahah

Fendouglas

Gangless!
lol make bread yourself! shop bought bread is crap! u can get bread machines if you cannot make by hand (hand is better)... so no excuses lol ahah

We tried the Breadmaker, but the result was even worse than store-bought bread...I reckon it's down to the flour and the 'proving' of the dough

saffie

Saffie
I've asked this question of local Turks who visit UK and the most common reply was.........decent yoghurt,bread and salad that tastes of something other than plastic!! Followed by "conversation and smiling faces" and of course..........sun!

saffie

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
One of the biggest problems with mass-produced bread in the UK is the use of the Chorleywood Bread Process, which uses low quality, highly processed wheat and a large amount of additives, sold fats and flavour enhancers.

To get the quality of bread found here in Turkey, you need to buy and experiment with speciality flours which are generally available at supermarkets.

As a former Distribution Manager for a well known flour millers in the UK, I can tell you that most mills produce at least 20 different flours besides the normal plain and self-raising flours. There are specific grades of white flour for pizzas, chapatis, samosas, part-baked rolls, yorkshire puddings, french rolls, crispy panackes, cakes, doughnuts, pies etc etc

val2661

One of the biggest problems with mass-produced bread in the UK is the use of the Chorleywood Bread Process, which uses low quality, highly processed wheat and a large amount of additives, sold fats and flavour enhancers.

To get the quality of bread found here in Turkey, you need to buy and experiment with speciality flours which are generally available at supermarkets.

As a former Distribution Manager for a well known flour millers in the UK, I can tell you that most mills produce at least 20 different flours besides the normal plain and self-raising flours. There are specific grades of white flour for pizzas, chapatis, samosas, part-baked rolls, yorkshire puddings, french rolls, crispy panackes, cakes, doughnuts, pies etc etc
You remember more than I do about the flour products Alan. Then again I actually didn't know that semolina was a wheat product until I started working at the flour mills. Do they have mechanised flour mills in Turkey, or do they still use windmills to grind the flour (LOL)?

Val

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious

Do you make it by hand or machine Zuber, we bought one of theose breadmakers, and it was good, in fact I think I'll rescue it from the back of the pantry and start using it again. I experimented with sesame oil (cos we love the Tiger Bread, ASDAs' is still the best, they started it), that was very tasty, and also made fruit breads, yummy toasted with loads of Lurpak, lol

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Do they have mechanised flour mills in Turkey, or do they still use windmills to grind the flour (LOL)?

Val

I was surprised at the number of villages in our area that have their own mills. Unlike the UK though, they're far more versatile and don't restrict themselves just to milling wheat. Wheat, corn, sesame, rice, nuts etc all go through the same machinery at various times.

zozatky

I find the best Flour for making bread is Soke un with fresh not dried yeast. The other brands seem better for cakes & Borek Ect. Or if we do buy its a Trabzon loaf, It keeps longer & is very good toasting & spreading with lots of Ahududu.

tjd

I've asked this question of local Turks who visit UK and the most common reply was.........decent yoghurt,bread and salad that tastes of something other than plastic!! Followed by "conversation and smiling faces" and of course..........sun!

saffie

I'm not Turkish and I can certainly relate to the poor quality of yoghurt and salad we have in Ireland. The bread ain't too bad though - we have some great breads in Ireland.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom