Guz1

Weird Phone Call
Just had a phone call from someone in Turkey asking how much we want for our house. I'm gobsmacked. Haven't even listed it with an Emlak. I asked him how he got my phone no. but couldn't understand his reply. He knew my name so someone I know must have given him the no.

Wouldn't even know how to go about selling it. We hadn't made a definite decision to sell and some of the family are planning to spend their summer holidays in the house. He said he will phone back next week. Maybe he won't. I don't even know if he's genuine. What should I do if he does phone again?

nomaderol

Weird Phone Call
Ask for a good price. Some with good money in their wallets dont care if a property is for sale or not. When they like a property they may pay whatever you want.

Guz1

Weird Phone Call
Thank you Nomaderol.

We hadn't even decided how much we should ask for it. Although we were seriously thinking of selling, we thought it would take years. The phone call came out of the blue. I asked him how much he would pay for it and he gave me a figure. I don't know how much more we should ask for. Would I scare him off by saying we don't want to sell before the end of summer?

ZiaCa'

Weird Phone Call
Thank you Nomaderol.

We hadn't even decided how much we should ask for it. Although we were seriously thinking of selling, we thought it would take years. The phone call came out of the blue. I asked him how much he would pay for it and he gave me a figure. I don't know how much more we should ask for. Would I scare him off by saying we don't want to sell before the end of summer?

You might scare him off, but no harm asking! Once you've established he's genuine and agree a price, I'd go for it if you want to sell!

Peregrine

Weird Phone Call
so you wernt going to accept his offer - was it less that you think the place is worth? or close to where you would be tempted to sell?

theres not a lot of point in starting a negotiation if you have no intention of selling (but ditto if hes not in a position to buy)

tricky one to answer, but good luck anyway

nomaderol

Weird Phone Call
Learn market value of your property. If he is giving that value or more, sell it now. There are not many buyers around the world these days due to global economy crisis. You can rent another place anytime easily for this summer. I for one would not miss such an oppurtunity if i am planning to sell it soon. Anyway, most of your properties are investments and this means you need to keep your eyes open to any offer. If you sell it now, you will be regretful only if this world economy recovers so that property prices go up. But, such a recovery is unlikely in a short term. I am expecting world economy will worsen. In that case, either sell it now or keep it for very long term, for decades. At least, you will enjoy the scene as the world economy will be same everywhere in the world, worse and worse.

Last edited:

pldouglas

Weird Phone Call
At least you have an emlack (if thats who it was) showing an interest in your house - its not easy selling at the moment, not in Yalikavak anyway.

nomaderol

Weird Phone Call
Some years ago, I had built a beautiful garden house (in a town in inner anatolia anyway.) First year, someones knocked my door and offered me 150,000 lira, 140,000 lira, etc even though it was not for sale. Since I wasnt planning to sell, I said 200,000 lira. A year or two past. Economy of the world worsened. Again someones knocked my door and offered 120-130,000 lira. This time, I said 150,000. Economy worsened and it also started to hit my business (import-export) and I decided to sell. I put a price 120,000 first. Some gave 100,000 and I rejected. Later, I reduced to 100,000 lira. They offered 80.000. I rejected. Anyway, finally, I reduced to 70,000 and sold it. See. It was sold for half price I was offered first. If I had a house along seaside? I would not sell it at all even if I didnt have any money. Who cares then if world economy is very bad or not. I would enjoy the life there. And, anyway, living cost (food, etc) is not so much in Turkey unless you go for luxury operation costs such as big engine car, etc.

Last edited:

Guz1

Weird Phone Call
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I'm inclined to agree with Nomaderol that it will be a while before the global economy picks up, although I think that decades is on the pessimistic side.

The offer is roughly what we paid in 2003, although it doesn't cover what we have paid out in maintenance, improvements, taxes and fines over the years. With most of the heavy costs behind us, keeping the place wouldn't be a major burden. Nevertheless, the house doesn't quite suit our purpose and we won't be able to use it as much as we had hoped. I'm strongly tempted to bite his hand off if he improves his offer.

Another problem I see facing us is that a few houses on our site were rented out to potential buyers before the deal was closed. In one case, the tenants bought a different house to the one they were renting. What if he asks to rent the place on a trial run? My gut instinct is to refuse point blank. Even if we didn't want to use it ourselves, we don't want to get into the landlord/tenant scene. What do you think? Is it normal for Turks to rent before buying, or would it be more troube than it's worth?

Summertime

Golden Girls
Weird Phone Call
Just had a phone call from someone in Turkey asking how much we want for our house. I'm gobsmacked. Haven't even listed it with an Emlak. I asked him how he got my phone no. but couldn't understand his reply. He knew my name so someone I know must have given him the no.

Wouldn't even know how to go about selling it. We hadn't made a definite decision to sell and some of the family are planning to spend their summer holidays in the house. He said he will phone back next week. Maybe he won't. I don't even know if he's genuine. What should I do if he does phone again?

Hi Maria
You can just google his phone nr, you may find his name in a phonebook?

Guz1

Weird Phone Call
I didn't get his phone no. He said he would phone us. He phoned twice this morning - first time my sister answered, couldn't understand him and told him he had the wrong no. He phoned again a few minutes later. I reckon he didn't take the trouble to phone twice from Turkey unless he was serious. But I could be wrong......we might never hear from him again. I tried asking him to wait until we go to Turkey in April or May but he didn't understand me. Maybe it will all come to nothing and this will turn into yet another of my useless threads.

ChrisBobs

Weird Phone Call
Not a useless thread at all Maria-
You have brought up an interesting question - ( anyone) what would you value your property/business at now- if someone made an offer such as made to you.

On the rental question - I would go with your gut feeling, don't. What if it went wrong and you started waiting for rent in arrears, but held off demanding it thinking they might buy..( and then they didnt?)

Good luck

nomaderol

Weird Phone Call
What do you think? Is it normal for Turks to rent before buying

No, usually, it is not normal.

Dont have high hopes. If he is really interested in, he will call again. Since he called abroad, there is this probability that he is serious. But, he may also be calling other people as well. So, there is a buyer guy in the market who prefers to buy from "sahibinden/owner" instead of Emlak/Estate agency and he is probably calling other property owners as well. If he is really interested in location and view of your property, he will call you again. In the mean time, you can fix a price in your mind. If you dont need money now, if you are ready to live there for another decade, then, I wouldnt sell it for the price level in 2003.

Tess

Weird Phone Call
To echo Chrisbobs not a useless thread at all Maria. I think no one would ring twice from Turkey for nothing. It is frustrating you had not your thinking cap on instantly as it was totally unexpected but the fact you are to have another phone call soon, puts you in the enviable position of time to plan your next move. Long term if you intend to sell I would try and negotiate now. Good luck and best wishes Maria.

Guz1

Weird Phone Call
Thanks, folks, for helping me get things straight in my mind, especially about renting. Will sit tight now and see what happens.

bebs

Weird Phone Call
Maria i would be very wary of this man . How did he get your name and number?I do hope its genuine but do take care ....... Bebs

kaplumba

Weird Phone Call
Maria if he calls back and if you think you might be interested get all of his details - name, address, phone number, email address, lawyers details if he has one etc. At least that way you could send him an email and get it translated so that there are no misunderstandings. You have time to look up all the words you need for when he phones.Tell him you need a reply in English. If he is keen he will agree to your requests. Search the emlak web sites in your area to get an idea of asking prices and I would be tempted to haggle a bit.
Although I am not interested in selling my house if someone out of the blue offered me a good price I know I would be tempted.

alison09400

Weird Phone Call
Maria, do you have a For Sale sign up outside your house..or have your told your Bekci/neighbours that you want to sell? If not then I'd be asking where he got your name and number from.

If you agree on a price it will be easy enough for you to book a holiday for your family in a hotel....I'm sure they'd understand :) In this day and age,
anyone who has even a minute thought of selling their property should definitely do it if someone comes up with the dosh. :5:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom