Wedding Massacre in Turkey
16 Killed at wedding Village near Mardin?
Where is Mardin?

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisBobs

Re: Wedding

Yes - most of the world news has it before most of Turkey knows about it.
It is in a village in the SouthEast of Turkey... outside the main town of Mardin ( which is beautiful) some 1,500 km east of Bodrum!
Reports still coming in - now 44 dead, it seems one lot of people attacked the others with automatics and grenades - all freely available in an area near the main Government+ Army push against the PKK
Blood feuds and the like mentioned - but conjecture so far as live news shows Jandarma just .. stopping entry to the village.

Peaceplant

Cat mad and unashamed
oh dear - my husbands family are from there with many relatives living there still. Hope they are all safe from harm.

Ms Who

aka Kym Ciftci
I was in Mardin last November, its not far from Sanliurfa where we were visiting relatives. I think it was a family feud. Wrong girl had been given for marriage.

Firebrand

As I said in my intro, my husband is Kurdish. He read a report on an online Turkish paper this morning which said that many of those killed were children.

It seems quite unbelievable that in this day and age such blood feuds still happen. The scale of this one is devastating.

alison09400

According to the news this was an engagement rather than a wedding. The couple getting engaged were both killed.....8 people arrested today with the same surname as the family killed. Out of the 26 named dead 21 were from the girl's family (Celebi) 5 from the guy's side (Ari). 16 women and 6 children among those killed.

Unfortunately blood feuds are a way of life in this part of Turkey along with honour killings girls being married off at a very early age and denied the right to a proper education.
Erdoğan has just given a press conference about the event and said that neither morals nor custum is an excuse for killing.

What a horrifying news story to wake up to this morning...nothing to add except my sadness at the waste of life...

ZiaCa'

Looks like from Turkish news that killers was the cousins of one of the Wedding couple

eileen

my heart goes out to the familys who have lost a loved one
was watching it here on cnn and very sad to watch had me in tears

I'm with you there Sparrow. Cold blooded mass murder. Blood feud my eye. I hope they all rot in hell. RIP to all the victims.

Amy

Hello,
I was watching it on the news last night, 47 people in total, 44 people 3 women of which where pregnant....heres the news,....Police have charged eight suspects over the killing of 44 people at a wedding party in south-east Turkey on Monday, The suspects were among 10 held after the attack in the small village of Bilge Koyu, governor of Mardin province Hasan Duruer told Anatolia news agency. Two other suspects are still being questioned, AP news agency reports. Among those killed in the attack - described as a feud between two families - were the engaged couple, six children and three pregnant women. Some 200 guests were reportedly celebrating in Bilge Koyu, about 20km (12 miles) from the city of Mardin, when the attackers burst in shooting automatic rifles and throwing grenades. Paramilitary police were sent to the village to pursue the attackers, the identities of those arrested have not yet been announced. Unconfirmed reports said the assailants included members of a militia known as the Village Guards, who have helped government troops fight Kurdish separatist rebels in recent years.
If the group, set up in 1984, is found to have been complicit in the killings, it is likely to reinforce calls for it to be disbanded amid long standing accusation of illegal activities.

Regards

Amy

Latest Posts

Top Bottom