Rainey

We are not coming to Koycegiz now
Just to let you know after a lot of serious condsideration and that fact we do not want to join the brit pack we have decided that koycegiz and Turkey is not for us lovely as it was.

Last week we travelled to Bulgaria and found and puchased a lovely little house that is in pretty good condition, the gardens will give us more to do, and the countryside was just spectacular as turkey although in a different way, large open planes.

We would like to thank every one we met, and the friends we made in Koycegiz and we hope to come down from Bulgaria for the odd holiday. If it ever gets to hot in Turkey you are welcome to pop up and see us.

Thanks again to you all.
Lorraine and Dave

Fastlady

hope the roads are better where you are than they were when I've travelled through Bulgaria!

babsgood

Deemon in disguise
good to you both I really hope you enjoy your time there, we have thought about moving on as Turgutreis is not the place it was when we first came about 17 years ago, at first the changes were for the best then too much changed, however we have decided that better the devil you know!

In our modern world everywhere that can be developed to make someone some profit will be developed eventually whether a Macdonalds or Tesco or just a building complex.
All these escapist unspoilt places will eventually disappear and I dare say some can remember our apartment,s valley in its natural days with just a few little Turkish houses in a narrow lane.
I agree with Babsgood that its "better the devil you know" than moving continuously every few years to escape elsewhere.
My wife and I looked at Bulgaria over several years but, to be honest, didnt think the road infrastructure,countryside or amenities were anywhere near as good as in Turkey.
Turkey really surprised us in many ways as it was way down on our list but we are pleased with our decision. Its just so different and thats its appeal to us as Westerners
All the best with your new home.
Horses for courses and all that stuff

Last edited:

ted j

Just wondering if there are any countries left in the world that DONT have a Macdonalds. I know a lot of people like them, but to me, everything tastes a bit cardboardy (just my own little opinion). Good luck Rainey.

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
Good Luck with your new home Rainey, as you probably know Bulgaria gets very hot too, as you're almost next door, lol. Which area have you purchased Seaside or Ski resorts? We were in Bansko 3 years ago and they were certainly ploughing Euro money into their Roads infrastructure in the Sofia up to Bankso Ski resort area. We also enjoyed the countryside, fantastic golf courses too, but both countries have lots to offer in different ways. I hope it remains unspoilt, without the need for a big Mac outlet.

Rainey

We have bought a house in Pliska, location there is so so important as some places we looked at were so remote this is a town of 1100 peeps and roads may be a bit pot holey but they were straight and not much traffic we are 4 km from varna sofia motorway and have 4 towns near us. we did not want to join in the brit pack but wanted the good life. even remote villages have wifi whish is a bit odd and the veggies are huge caulis and cabbages a foot wide lol...... we will have fun, the only macdonalds I saw was in varna and a kilo of red and green peppers was 28p

Rainey

If anyone is interested I have set up a blog that will chart our pregress in the next couple of years from my first visit to show what we have come up against etc etc.

or you can find it on facebook under Lorraine Hollingsworth was Emery

Last edited by a moderator:
Please Help,,,,,,I have been trying without success to access this blog ,,,,our move to Bulgaria,,,,I'm not to hot with computers and don't know what I'm doing wrong,,,,I would be very interested in following their experiences,,,,can anybody help me????

Rainey

Thank you all for your interest, the easiest way to find the blog is to go to Google in the search put in our move to bulgaria and I think it comes up on page 4, alternatively you can im me your email addresses and I will add you to my facebook...... Thanks for the interest guys, its a very exciting time.

Wise people ....Turkey I am sure is a lot more expensive than Bulgaria and the politics here in Turkey are uncertain too....

Rainey

Its not just the cost - yes it is a lot cheaper, but it is more the life style, we love gardening a pottering around, yes it can be hot there but i may have snow for 6 weeks up to my boobs lol, but life is an adventure and you really have to experience it to the full, we did not want to join the brit pack, the language will be an experience and a half we got our documents today and I cant read any of it, lucky they were done with a translater. fingers crossed they are right. Thanks again for your interest and enjoy the blog

CJD

I was not aware that there was a Brit pack in Koycegiz!!,somehow
I must have missed them the past 6 years

Best of luck for your new life in Bulgaria

Last edited:

Tess

Good luck Rainey, I always think wherever you lay your hat you can make a home, and any house is only bricks and mortar, you make the home after that, take care and enjoy your new life.

Yes, I agree with Tess:) I think Rainey meant by the 'Brit Pack' as that in places such as Altinkum, Fethiye and Didim there are British expatriate communities sizeable enough to make a difference to the local community. Here in Istanbul of course there are plenty of foreigners but they are spread out and where I live I rarely hear English spoken.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom