kaplumba

Water
Just a note for those of you who are not here at the moment and who own property. I don't know about you but every time I come there seems to be a new way of extracting money from me. I have a contingency fund to cover this but I'm always wondering what will be next. Well this time I arrived to find a bill of 210 lira. The new mayor has decided we must all have new water meters. Now I paid quite a bit for one when my house was built so now I have to pay again. These new ones have a card with them and you must pre pay for your water then you insert the card into the meter. You go to the Belediye office near Migros and load it up. My fear now is that I will run out of water on a Friday night and have to wait until Monday to get more. Even worse I have visions of losing the card.

Water
Hi Jane

My water is not on this system (yet!) but my understanding is that you can insert the card, see how much water you have left and recharge the card as necessary. I think they've been in use for a while now - no doubt someone else will be along to give you more info!!!

SonnyJim

Living in Paradise!
Water
Originally we were all supposed to have new water meters by last December, this date has now been extended, maybe indefinately??
The new meters are supposed to have a 5 ton reserve on them, so when the water stops you re-insert the card, and you then have the 5 tons to give you time to top up. This is the theory!! We have already topped up our card, but have not charged the meter yet - waiting to see at what point it cuts off!!!
Will know more after a few more months of use!!

kaplumba

Water
Ah yes I was told that if I ran out I could insert the card and press a red button. Well that's OK as long as I don't run out on a Friday night! Just when we want to shower and put our glad rags on. How much is 5 tons - would it last a weekend of normal use? I just don't really trust these things!! All of my site were changed at the same time and the baskan said we had to and had no option. My Turkish friend said she was told hers would cost about 400 lira but mine was 210.

zozatky

Water
5 tons of water is 5.000 ltr of water in laymans terms 263 x 19 ltr water bottles Me tinks this should last the W/E:95im:

dalyansteve

Water
Excuse me for asking, but are you in an area where there is a shortage of fresh water? It just seems a bit of a fancy system unless lots of people are not paying their water bills.

kaplumba

Water
Although it rains like mad during the winter, there are sometimes shortages during the summer and we are often told we can only use hosepipes at night.
It could be that as there are a great many holiday homes this is a way to ensure people don't go off at the end of the season leaving unpaid water bills. I just felt a bit annoyed at having to pay for another meter when the other one was fairly new.

Water
We use on average 7 ton a month and that includes everything - showers, washing machine, dishwasher, loos..everything possible so your 5 ton reserve tank should be 3 weeks or so normal useage. I shouldnt worry if I were you.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom