Water Damage Warning
Just got back from a nightmare weeks holiday from Altinkum where we found our apartment and contents damaged by water.

It seems that during the last winter months our drain hole grill covers had got blocked with muck and dead leaves allowing water from heavy rainfall to build up and make our sun terraces into swimming pools. The water got about 5-6 inches deep rising into the walls and over the frames of the patio doors.

Claiming on insurance to rectify damage ,but also costing us loads to do modifications to prevent further accidents again.

Remember:
Dont leave grills over drain holes making it easier for them to get blocked.
Cut over hanging branches of nearby trees and if possible fit up net to stop leaves falling on terrace.
Have an extra drainpipe or overflow pipe fitted just in case the drain gets blocked.
Have larger tiles round terrace edges to avoid water penetrating walls.

Also pay for someone to check and clean drain covers once per month during worse periods.

Its better to be safe than sorry.

Mushtaq

Founding Member
Water Damage Warning
A big problem I have found with lot of properties is that the tiling on terraces is not properly laid, they don't seem to use the level to check the angle of the water flow, you usually find the water drains towards the walls instead of the drain :(

Water Damage Warning
Hi Mushtaq,

In my case, the main problem was I have a 4 inch drain pipe from my roof onto the sun terrace, allowing for a large collection of rain water to fall onto the terrace which only had a 2 inch drain hole covered by a grill.
Hence more water being channelled onto the terrace than could escape. One small leaf spells disaster. :splat:

gren

Water Damage Warning
Insurance company 'Intasure' are currently dragging their heels over honouring claims for this precise problem Westonalan!

Water Damage Warning
Insurance company 'Intasure' are currently dragging their heels over honouring claims for this precise problem Westonalan!

Just waiting for my Intasure claim form to arrive!!!!! It took six days for them to send a cheque last time, wonder how long it will be this time?

Water Damage Warning
And whichever company or individual you choose to check your property make sure they actually do check in winter months.
Certainly in our area very few properties were checked by the ones used between oct and april.
In central areas where roads are completed theres no problem,but in outer areas where roads are muddy,they do not visit

Guz1

Water Damage Warning
Alan,

I think you will have trouble getting payment from any insurance company if you tell them that the water damage was caused by a drain being blocked because you didn't remove the grills.

gren

Water Damage Warning
Just waiting for my Intasure claim form to arrive!!!!! It took six days for them to send a cheque last time, wonder how long it will be this time?

You can download this claims form from their website which is quicker.
They really do seem to be trying to wriggle out of claims after the winter rains...

Last edited:
Water Damage Warning

Intasure declined my claim!!!! So I complained to their claims manager! That didn't do any good! They still refused to pay out!
So I complained to one of the company directors about their claims handling procedure and policies.
I've had my reply today!
They still refused my claim, but they have given me a cheque for £500 on a ex-gratia basis to settle the claim. My original claim was for £900.
I would take this matter further and complain to the financial ombudsman, but my life as been turned upside down due to the sad loss of my baby granddaughter through hospital negligence and now I haven't the energy or the willpower to pursue the claim any further.

Saying that, I might have to put another claim into Intasure soon! As I've just discovered our neighbour in Altinkum as been burgled and the burglars would have had to walk on our sun terrace to get to their apartment, therefore there is a possibility they attempted to break into our apartment as well! Will find out next week, when our friends go to inspect.

If anyone has any good luck charms they can send me, please do because I could do with one!

JEANNIE

Going to get Thinner
Water Damage Warning
Sorry to hear about your grandaughter Allan, and all your other problems. I will send you some good luck wishes . I f only i was a real :224xb: Hope it all works out in the end,

Jeannie

carolk

R.I.P
Water Damage Warning
Sorry to hear your sad news Alan. I can understand that you cant be bothered with it all at a time like this.

saffie

Saffie
Water Damage Warning
Am so sad to hear about your baby granddaughter. My sincere condolensces to you and your family.

Re the insurance and drains. Same thing happened to me last year,and the damage was due to a flash flood and just two leaves which got stuck in the tiny inner pipe.

The damage was very extensive and affected every room apart from the kitchen and bathroom,as the water got into the store cupboard as well from the balcony and worked it's way through and down all the walls.

I had all the balcony drains removed and replaced with much larger pipes as although the drain cover was quite large,the actual inner pipes were very very small. It took a guy a day with a large drill and a load of pipework and new draincovers to fit,but haven't had any problems since.

I also had full insurance and lost a ton of possessions thought mould and mildew damage,and the house had to be repainted and many things replaced or repaired. Total damage was 14.000TL.....and they refused to pay out and made a derisory settlement.

Another friend had 24,000TL of damage,and got paid out less than 10,000TL.
SO much for fully insured or for a contents policy of new for old. They expected me to saw 15 cms of my headboard,rather than replace it.

I'm so sorry you had to go through this too,as it took me almost 5 months to get straight again,and it's very stressful.

Would recommend looking at ways to improve the diameter of the drains like I eventually had to do.

I hope that's the end of your bad luck and things look up for you very soon.:angel:

saffie

Harem

I've cliqued
Water Damage Warning
Hi Alan, so sorry to hear the sad news of your baby grand daughter. I do hope things start to improve for you very soon.

HOMELET

Water Damage Warning
Intasure declined my claim!!!! So I complained to their claims manager! That didn't do any good! They still refused to pay out!
So I complained to one of the company directors about their claims handling procedure and policies.
I've had my reply today!
They still refused my claim, but they have given me a cheque for £500 on a ex-gratia basis to settle the claim. My original claim was for £900.
I would take this matter further and complain to the financial ombudsman, but my life as been turned upside down due to the sad loss of my baby granddaughter through hospital negligence and now I haven't the energy or the willpower to pursue the claim any further.

Saying that, I might have to put another claim into Intasure soon! As I've just discovered our neighbour in Altinkum as been burgled and the burglars would have had to walk on our sun terrace to get to their apartment, therefore there is a possibility they attempted to break into our apartment as well! Will find out next week, when our friends go to inspect.

If anyone has any good luck charms they can send me, please do because I could do with one!
Dear Alan Weston,

Thank you for your time. As a Intasure Management we take all complaints we receive seriosly.
I cheked your claim on our system.
Summary of your damage is : Over the winter period water has got into the apartment cousing damage.
To the best of my knowledge & belief that this is a construction faulties..

In our policy wording it is clearly indicated that we will pay for: storm, flood, hail or avalanche.
We will not pay for : Loss or damage caused by construction faulties and weak insulation
Also in our policy wording its very clarified that we will not pay fort he damage caused by below reasons :
- Land slip
- by frost,
- to domestic out-buildings and garages of light construction, domestic fixed fuel tanks in the open, Gates, fences, hadges and garden sheds.
- to swimming pool covers, filtration plants, heaters and pumps.

Despite our policy wording I would like to inform that we paid the cost of damage as an ex-gratia to you.

Hope this e-mail clerifies any question mark.

Kind regards,

Murat AKSAKALLI
Business Development Manager
INTASURE/ TURKEY
E-mail: murat.aksakalli@intasure.net
Mobile: 009 0543 775 78 54

parrot

Water Damage Warning
I have recently been quoted in excess of £340 for cover by Intrasure.My initial reaction was too expensive when compared to my property in London I pay about £250 with better guarantees,no thanks,I'll take my chance.

dotsie

dotsie
Water Damage Warning
That is a crazy price. I had mine insured for 170 lira plus Dask which was about 75 lira. Also i had flood damage and they paid up promptly. Shop around with local insurance companies. Mine was Basak Grouprama.

parrot

Water Damage Warning
I was wrong it was £325 which gave me £10000 contents cover big deal,another rip off.

L

les&Tasha

Water Damage Warning
Alan,

Very sorry about your grand daughter.

The insurance situation is to be expected. Most owners we know over insure their property and contents expecting "all" eventualities will be covered. Surprise, surprise they are not.

Insurance companies will cite all their small print clauses to renage or reduce your claim. You are far better off with basic dask and building replacement (fire, flood etc.) insurance. Our policy with Gorkca costs less than £100 per annum and we have a big flat. You need to take responsibilitu for looking after your own property. If you are away for months at a time pay someone to check the place once a week. We have violent weather here so if a window gets blown in you want it fixed in a couple of days not months later when you return. The insurance might pay for repairing the window but the consequent water damage which occured over the ensuing weeks - no chance!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom