IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Watch The Lira Now
Take heart Mollag - here we have everything in US$ and now our Hryvna is appreciating against the US$ !
The moral of the story is that you just can't win.
Should I think it out again I'd opt for Euros but you can't hold Euros accounts here & I'd be very wary of Stg.
There's nowt wrong with the old mattress deposits ( I am speaking purely of financial deposits)

enoch

Top Poster Of Month
Watch The Lira Now
Last edited:

Camden

Watch The Lira Now

Confusing messages on interest for investors ...

While the President gave the message "to continue interest rate cuts until the election", Central Bank Governor Kavcıoğlu, addressing investors today, gave the signal "to wait for a limited interest rate cut this month". On the one hand, it was said that the increase in the exchange rate was positive for the current account balance, and on the other hand, the message that the exchange rate intervention could continue.

At least exports will increase due to the weak lira ...:unsure:

Last edited:

enoch

Top Poster Of Month
Watch The Lira Now

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Watch The Lira Now
We live in interesting times, very hard times for local people. Today we paid a worker 300TL for a day's work. I settled an invoice for someone who cleared a garden in one of our rental properties in the UK, the equivalent of 5500 TL for a day's work.

Jaycey

African Refugee
Watch The Lira Now
We live in interesting times, very hard times for local people. Today we paid a worker 300TL for a day's work. I settled an invoice for someone who cleared a garden in one of our rental properties in the UK, the equivalent of 5500 TL for a day's work.

OMG when I see UK costs I cringe.
That's more than our pensioners here get for the month!

Mushroom

Watch The Lira Now
We cringe in the UK because we know when someone is taking the piss, it's just that if the rip off merchants all stick together and you need a job doing, you pay their rate or either do without or go to the enterprise called the black economy.
We were quoted £330 plus VAT by a large fencing company just for half a day's labour to put up posts, gravel boards and 3 fence panels.
They wouldn't quote on the removal of bushes in that area first, so that secondary quote came to £300.
If we had added the two quotes to the cost of materials and fencing, we would have been looking at the thick end of a grand.
Fortunately, my old fencing pal Mick came in with a quote for half the price to do the lot.
My next door neighbour was quoted £4000 for a builder to put up a retaining wall in his back garden that would have been in the region of 9 metres long by 1.5 Metres high.
I cannot say that I wasn't ever ripped off in Turkey, but it didn't happen often and once I had got to know the people who I could trust, it didn't happen at all. They were grafters and I think I always made them welcome with refreshments and a 'bonus' at the end of a job.

Chasey

Watch The Lira Now
We cringe in the UK because we know when someone is taking the piss, it's just that if the rip off merchants all stick together and you need a job doing, you pay their rate or either do without or go to the enterprise called the black economy.
We were quoted £330 plus VAT by a large fencing company just for half a day's labour to put up posts, gravel boards and 3 fence panels.
They wouldn't quote on the removal of bushes in that area first, so that secondary quote came to £300.
If we had added the two quotes to the cost of materials and fencing, we would have been looking at the thick end of a grand.
Fortunately, my old fencing pal Mick came in with a quote for half the price to do the lot.
My next door neighbour was quoted £4000 for a builder to put up a retaining wall in his back garden that would have been in the region of 9 metres long by 1.5 Metres high.
I cannot say that I wasn't ever ripped off in Turkey, but it didn't happen often and once I had got to know the people who I could trust, it didn't happen at all. They were grafters and I think I always made them welcome with refreshments and a 'bonus' at the end of a job.

Thats a very cheep quote at £4000 for a 9m retaining wall

9m X 1.5m I am assuming castle fort design with 1.0m footings so footings 500 X 1.0m deep 9.5m long lets say 5m3 concrete about 750.00 delivered and pumped

Dig out would be 5m3 X 3 so 15m3 waste that's 3X skips at 300 each £1000 at cost

Digger hire? or by hand? Digger hire with a mini digger and dumper £500.00 per day

Bricks 240/m so 9m 2200 bricks apx so about £2000 for the bricks

So we are already over 4000 and we haven't allowed for the brick layer or the labour cost or even god forbid a profit.

Then there's insurance plant servicing healthcare work place pension office overheads advertising office rent

330 for a half day is also cheep.

We wouldn't bother. we charge a minimum of 650.00 for any job, less than that we make a loss

Men are charged at 500 per day which covers wages which include pensions sic pay holiday pay clothing insurance (employers liability) a van, tools and PPE equipment

The men them selves earn about 250 a day

On a £4000 contract, our profit net would be on average about £400.00

Not bad, but not fantastic.

Id need to do two jobs like that every week to pay myself a half decent wage

Mushroom

Watch The Lira Now
Ah, but you live in that Capital of rip offs called London.
That's the place where beer is about £6 a pint instead of the £3 here.
He has already hired a mini digger at £250 for a weekend and put the soil into 3 x skips at a cost of £150 a time.
All much cheaper than down in the 'smoke'.
The quote was for bricks, cement and labour only.
The bricks are cheaper up here.
The labour was the rip off.

Watch The Lira Now
Thats a very cheep quote at £4000 for a 9m retaining wall

9m X 1.5m I am assuming castle fort design with 1.0m footings so footings 500 X 1.0m deep 9.5m long lets say 5m3 concrete about 750.00 delivered and pumped

Dig out would be 5m3 X 3 so 15m3 waste that's 3X skips at 300 each £1000 at cost

Digger hire? or by hand? Digger hire with a mini digger and dumper £500.00 per day

Bricks 240/m so 9m 2200 bricks apx so about £2000 for the bricks

So we are already over 4000 and we haven't allowed for the brick layer or the labour cost or even god forbid a profit.

Then there's insurance plant servicing healthcare work place pension office overheads advertising office rent

330 for a half day is also cheep.

We wouldn't bother. we charge a minimum of 650.00 for any job, less than that we make a loss

Men are charged at 500 per day which covers wages which include pensions sic pay holiday pay clothing insurance (employers liability) a van, tools and PPE equipment

The men them selves earn about 250 a day

On a £4000 contract, our profit net would be on average about £400.00

Not bad, but not fantastic.

Id need to do two jobs like that every week to pay myself a half decent wage
What - the men earn 250 a day? 1250 a week for 5 days? 65000 pounds per year. Certainly not the wages up in Scotland lol. And the EU workers don't want to come to UK lol.

Mushroom

Watch The Lira Now
What - the men earn 250 a day? 1250 a week for 5 days? 65000 pounds per year. Certainly not the wages up in Scotland lol. And the EU workers don't want to come to UK lol.
Sorry to surprise you Sybil but I was being paid £250 a day from the mid 90's working on a consultancy basis, working 4/5 days a week. That would equate to probably £500 a day today and I was sitting in a nice car maintained and fuelled at my clients expense.
In fairness, it was a win win because the costs I saved the likes of Transco, British Gas and other blue chip companies more than covered my fees and expenses with what was petty cash to them.
That was a case of market forces but I never could lay bricks !!

Mushroom

Watch The Lira Now
I forgot to mention - the downside. Early starts, sometimes late finishes, lots of driving (but loved that) and nights spent in hotels in places such as Basingstoke, like 'Johnny no mates'.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom