xanadu

Watch out burglars about in Dalyan [Again!]
Once again burglars are out and about in Dalyan.

To my knowledge 9 homes, mine included have been burgled since Friday 14th August 2009.

Funny though as I knew it was coming! How you may ask?

I received a knock on the door from a young Turk yesterday afternoon. Understood enough Turkish that I was not whom he was looking for. Suckered, yes I was, he just wanted to see if anyone was home! He and his mate who was 100 meters up the road walked off.

We left home for an hour and a half at 13:00 on Monday 17th August 2009 and upon our return at 14:30 I found a window had been forced. This is despite having the flip over decurity latches fitted, so please!!!! don't rely on them.

The house had been turned upside down, the safe removed containing passports, jewelry etc. Think they may have been disturbed as they left camera etc etc.

Bless the jendarma and dalyan CSI as they were round quickly but given thier resources I dont expect recovery of any items but I can hope.

Keep your eyes open, not just for your yabanji neighbours but your Turkish ones too. Those of us that live here want to be a part of the community and so we should all look out for each other. My Turkish neighbours were horrified that we had been burgled and apologised profusely for those that had commited it.

Oh and please if you could keep your eyes in the verges & hedge rows incase you stumble upon a broken open safe with our passports inside. Call the jendarma and tell them where they are.

Forewarned is forearmed. Here's hoping you stay safe and secure

Tess

Xanadu, welcome to the Forum, I wish your post could have been a happier one, I'm sorry to read what has happened to you, I do understand what it feels like to be burgled and the feelings afterwards, here is hoping the people who do these things get caught soon and be dealt severely by the law. I hope you do get your passports and personal belonging back. Take care. x

zuberdust

IM THE BESTEST :)
thats so awful! know the feeling of being robbed! have been 2wice in the Uk.... hope u dont lose too much faith! keep strong! but why did your neighbours appologise? they did not do anything! its a shame that they feel they shud appologise due the robbery being commited by own of thier own race....they must feel embarassed!

v6cod

Living in Okcular
Sorry to hear about your break in, hope they catch the barstewards.

Good luck in getting your possesions back.

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
My long term (20 odd years) turkish friend told me some time ago that "they start stealing near the end of the season", when i asked who he said "those from the east" they go home at the end of the season and take what they can.

I was pretty taken back by his statement, but have heard it said by others, is it inward racism or true ? i dont know !!!

martin

bobthenob

Non Active Member
My long term (20 odd years) turkish friend told me some time ago that "they start stealing near the end of the season", when i asked who he said "those from the east" they go home at the end of the season and take what they can.

I was pretty taken back by his statement, but have heard it said by others, is it inward racism or true ? i dont know !!!

martin

l was told exactly the same from a Turkish friend of mine as well.Now is this racist or is it just what they do,not who they are.

Lyndsey

Kalın deriliyimdir
I am sorry to hear that. Welcome to the forum and sharing the info to help others.

margaret

Hello and welcome Xanadu to the Forum. I am sorry to hear of your news but I hope it does not dampen your visits to Turkey. We were also burgled a couple of years ago and we were told at the time that it was workers on the various building sites nearby. The local people were fantastic and could not help us enough even thought there was the language barrier they were very kind to us.

xanadu

Thanks to all for your support.

Historically there is racism towards those from the east of Turkey. I personally know some Turks from the East & they are as friendly & trustworthy as those from the West. Like anywhere the minority spoil it for the majority.

Those that steal are the same in any country, that is low life scum that would rather take from those that have earned it, rather than work for it themselves.

It will in no way affect our retirement here & we still consider Turkey & Dalyan our home, good & bad we are here & we are not going to let this spoil our life here.

Thanks everyone & be safe

:28:
:28:

Sorry to hear of your bad news ı suffered the same thıng on sunday nıght ıt ıs a terrıble feelın knowıng some 1 has been there at least you was out of the house ı was home when they was ın mıne :(
hope u have some luck getın your passports an stuff back.

beerlady

Sorry to hear your news, I did post a warning on the site a few weeks ago. Our neighbors woke up to find a Turk standing by their bed at 5.45am. He had tried to get into next door but they had the security latches on and they didn't get in, so I guess they were lucky. The trouble is if they do catch them they get very short term in jail, not really a deterrent.

xanadu

Again my thanks to all for thier support.

Point to note is that we DID have security latches but they forced these off so PLEASE DO NOT RELY ON THEM to protect your possesions.

Make sure you put valuables somewhere where it would be a chore for you to get them out & obviously harder for a burglar with limited time to locate them. Not in the bottom of a drawer, under the matress, back of the wardrobe etc as they turned all the stuff out onto the floor in thier search.

Know it seems logical & ******* annoying especially for those of us that live here but needs must.

To those that have been burgaled I sympathise with you & hope they catch these scum a.s.a.p.

When the burglaries started in Dalyan last year, we were told that it was builders from the East. It turned out to be several people from local establishments and was co-ordinated by a high ranking police officer. They were taken to court and given a short prison sentence. My advice would be not to trust anyone with information about where you will be and when your house will be empty, even if it's only a day out or a boat trip.

ZiaCa'

When the burglaries started in Dalyan last year, we were told that it was builders from the East. It turned out to be several people from local establishments and was co-ordinated by a high ranking police officer. They were taken to court and given a short prison sentence. My advice would be not to trust anyone with information about where you will be and when your house will be empty, even if it's only a day out or a boat trip.

Good advice.

I heard that the police officer got 30 yrs....sounds a like a long sentence.

pldouglas

Can I ask if there is anyone left who has NOT been burgled?
Think I feel a 'Poll' coming on.
Our sincere sympathies to those who have been burgled - I think most of us now know the feeling.

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
we had a different situation in that last september we had new tiles in the bathrooms at our gundogan house. The builder contracted a plumber to refix the toilets and wall sinks etc, we had a dinner date so had to go out, I left the builder who we trust and still do with the key to lock up.
The plumber a local gundogan man sent 2 young guys to do the work.

Next day Linsey went in her draw to pu some jewellery away only to find that the little case had been emptied.
we have a kilim on the floor that had footprints from the floor grout in the upstairs bath room on it.
I called the builder and plumber and they both came and at first refused to believe that the guys had stolen anything and insisted that we must check all other cupboards to be sure, we did this and showed them the footprints which changed their thinking, I called the Jandarma who were very efficient they came and took prints, photos and statements etc
The thief was caught straight away and linsey got half her jewellery back, sadly her wedding ring and engagment ring and pieces her mother left her (she had just died a few months before) was still missing.
we were summoned to the jandarma station where they had him (we suspect the other guy had the other stuff, but he was never caught)

I was given 5 minutes in the cell with him to ask him some questions ! I wanted to break every bone in his body but resisted temptation.
The builder and the plumber also had 5 minutes in the cell with him, they didnt resist temptation as they are both local business men.
I came back in January to complete some legal stuff and my solicitor and myself went to the courts to check on progress, the thief had claimed he had given all the jewellry back and had acted alone and that we were lying about the other stuff, we have photos of Linsey wearing it.
I had to stand in front of the judge and swear that I wanted the case to continue, I understand he got 2 years.

In an earlier post I mentioned that my long time Turkish friend said "they must from the east" and guess what they were from Van !

Anyway the moral of the story is >>>>photograph all your valuables, lock them away, dont trust people unknown to you.
The resulting insurance claim will be the subject of another thread at a later date.

sorry for the ramble !

Martin

As some of you may of seen from the post Burgalary ı my self have been burgaled but however ı feel ıt ıs not faır the way that people from the east are been branded as the culprıts on here. There are good an bad ın every natıon. And ı am sure that not all thıeves come from a partıular regıon as ı am sure any lıverpudlıan would be quıte happy to agree wıth.

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Hi Michael

dont see any branding by any member on here, think you need to read all the posts, all I read is quoted from Turks. I also asked the question re inward racism

Martin

bobthenob

Non Active Member
What the victims are more concerned about is not where they come from and who they are,it is what they do that is the issue here.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom