Status
Not open for further replies.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Warning - Text Messages From Turkcell In English
If you receive a text message from Turkcell asking if you'd like to receive further messages from them in English, don't reply, it's a scam.

Although Turkcell are working on a system to send messages to mobile phone owners in their native tongue, they are still in the early stages of development.

For the timebeing, if you receive a message from a sender purporting to be Turkcell don't reply. If you do reply Yes / Evet / OK you will be authorising a scammer to transfer Kontors from your account to theirs or authorising the charging of all calls made by them to be charged to your account.

babsgood

Deemon in disguise
thanks for the warning, haven't had that message yet but will keep an eye out for it

How do you know that this will definately happen to ones who answer yes?

Maisie

I got this message two days ago. I tried to reply okay (the number it came from is 8104), but my phone would not send it. I tried a few times and it kept saying "Failed". I, therefore, assumed that this would only work if I was in Turkey. So I gave up. Does this mean that my kontors are safe? Maisie

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
How do you know that this will definately happen to ones who answer yes?

Because Turkcell have been contacted directly about this matter and, as I said in my previous post, they haven't completed development of the technology yet, and aren't offering it as a service to customers.

There have been a number of reported incidents in the past where messages purporting to be from Turkcell have been answered and the account holders have lost a substantial number of Kontors.

Xerox

BAA - but not sheepish!
I just spoke to Turkcell - I was told this is genuine - it is a new system they are trialling and judging response on - if enough people say yes then they will bring it in to use.

Friends have recently had and responded to this message without adverse affect. I suggest that you phone Turkcell yourself if you are not sure and get the answer from the horses mouth.

Dial 4440535 and as soon as you are answered press 77 for English (you have to be quick or it launches in to Turkish in no time at all!)

Last edited:

saffie

Saffie
I did respond to the 8104 message several days ago and got a confirmation back that I would receive messages back in English.

After a couple of messages received from them in Turkish I emailed them and asked why I was still getting messages in Turkish.

Their response is copied and pasted below.

Dear Customer,

For sending messages in English we are still working on this subject, it's not completed yet.

You can check it in the next days

Best Regards
Turkcell Ä°letiÅŸim Hizmetleri A.Åž.

Hilal Kirectepe
Customer Solution Center

-----Original Message-----

saffie

Howell's

got the message on 19th so far no kontours stolen... Fingers crossed it aint a scam

Xerox

BAA - but not sheepish!
Because Turkcell have been contacted directly about this matter and, as I said in my previous post, they haven't completed development of the technology yet, and aren't offering it as a service to customers..

Did you contact Turkcell, or has someone told you about someone who told them?

KKOB, thanks for he warning, we received this a couple of days ago and replied to the affirmative, just checked our Kontors and they're still intact.

Maisie

As this appears to be genuine, any ideas on how I reply to 8104 from the UK? Maisie

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
It's been posted on another forum by a member who phoned Turkcell themselves.

I'll close this thread so as not to cause further confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom