Mushroom

Warning - Dangerous scam
Word has reached me this afternoon from reliable and sensible sources to inform me of a scam which is apparently becoming more and more popular both in the UK and abroad.
It involves two or more men attempting to 'sell' cheap but branded perfumes to women who are alone, usually in car parks of supermarkets or similar where they may be away from the main entrance.
The scam is to tell the woman that they are selling the perfume, show her a laminated list of products, then invite her to smell one of them before buying.
Only thing is, it isn't perfume, it's Ether and when the victim goes woozy and is helped to sit/lay down before falling unconscious, her purse, handbag any other belongings etc are taken from her, and obviously given the location could be much worse.
It isn't just at supermarkets, but that is a popular haunt, also petrol stations or anywhere where it is possible to speak to the victim beforehand, presumably to entice her to a place nearby and out of sight of the general public.
If you already know of this scam I apologise for repeating it to you. If you don't - beware !

bobthenob

Non Active Member
Warning - Dangerous scam
Do you think it is best to contact the local papers in the tourist areas of Turkey about this scam.And also to ask the council to distribute flys around by making people aware of this evil.

JohnF

Warning - Dangerous scam
Another hoax email...

"This old hoax has been in circulation for quite some time. Someone has been kind enough to create an Australian version (included above) of the hoax especially for those of us who reside down under. Very similar hoax emails that use US place names have been hitting inboxes since at least 2000. Another version (included below) has Northern Ireland as the setting. Yet another variant has New Zealand as the location (also included below)."

Source: Snopes

JF

Valian

Let sleeping dogs lie
Warning - Dangerous scam
It's quite amazing how long these hoaxes continue circulating. I remember this one from about 2001. I always check anything which is a 'warning email' before even thinking about forwarding it. Usually, all you have to do is type a few of the words from the text into Google i.e. Perfume scam - and there you have it - a hoax.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Warning - Dangerous scam
Mushroom, Look at all the members YOU'VE hoaxed now ! :wink:

Last edited:

Martyn

Warning - Dangerous scam
Blimey I was going to post it was a scam but I always seem the first to do it so I thought I would leave it. Always, always, always, put it into Google and it will, 9 times out of 10, show up as an urban myth.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Warning - Dangerous scam
No, he still hasn't got over the "Nil Point" he got in the Totty Poll ! :lol:

Mushroom

Warning - Dangerous scam
To those of you who think it was a hoax - good luck, my sources are Professional people and with sufficient intelligence to think it worthwhile to alert others.
Now that my wife and two daughters are aware of this, to be quite honest, having given this information, I have done my bit.
To others, what you do is up to you !

Akasya

Postless Pointer
Warning - Dangerous scam
Interesting Mushroom that you should consider that a " professional " could , would or should not inadvertantly be misleading. Reminds me of Lord Dennings famous quote :

It is inconceivable that a British Police officer would lie to a Judge whilst under oath. Indeed he went further to opine " the very foundations of the British Legal system would come crashing down ". 1980

Of course they did, of course it didn't, nobody refers to Denning in respect of case law anymore. Oh by the way Denning was considered to be a consumnate professional.

Surely your " professional " advisers would have given you chapter and verse, so to speak. It won't be hard to find press coverage of such high profile happenstance.

If you are so inclined, and have the time, do ask em, be a good chap and let us know.

Steve.

Last edited:

Mushroom

Warning - Dangerous scam
Hope it is a hoax, but with the sources I have I would not say that.
More to the point, if others have decided that most people have disregarded this as exactly as a hoax, they are still vulnerable.
For my part it has been a warning to my family, which in itself has basically endorsed that they should not trust anyone- so as far as I am concerned, my defenses are tightened.
Anyone else can quite frankly sort themselves as I am not their moral, legal guidance etc.
A few years ago there was a report of a scam inlvolving caravanners in France who parked up in motorway services overnight but did not wake up until later that day and with a headache, then realised they had been burgled !
They had been put out by an anaesthetic pumped into their places by criminals through their air vents.
At the time this was decided to be only the stuff of myths and rumours (and of course something not recorded in French crime stats)
However it happened to a neighnbour of mine, so stats and myths are out of the window.
I am not actually bothered if I must be entirley honest where this leads to, so long as mine are ok.
So for the rest of you- good luck !

Guz1

Warning - Dangerous scam
I'm glad of the warning. Hoax or not, it could happen. When I first heard about burglars gassing people in Turkey I though that was a hoax but it turned out to be true. A few years ago there was a hoax about someone hiding in the back of a woman's car while she paid for her petrol. Ever since I check my car before driving away. Now I won't smell any perfume.

Better safe than sorry.

Martyn

Warning - Dangerous scam
I'm glad of the warning. Hoax or not, it could happen. When I first heard about burglars gassing people in Turkey I though that was a hoax but it turned out to be true. A few years ago there was a hoax about someone hiding in the back of a woman's car while she paid for her petrol. Ever since I check my car before driving away. Now I won't smell any perfume.

Better safe than sorry.

How was the gassing done Maria? I heard it was through the air con but apparently it can't be done because of the way air con works?

Guz1

Warning - Dangerous scam
I don't know, Martyn. I remember scoffing at Alison when she told us about it. Maybe if Alison reads this, she'll tell us how they did it. I thought they used the aircon.

Martyn

Warning - Dangerous scam
I'm very skeptical with these things although I'm not an aircon engineer. When you think about it(and I did laying in my apartment), even if the door was shut in your bedroom they would have to know that, know you were in that bedroom say(i had 2 bed), know there was no-one else in the other bedroom, know you had something worth nicking(well forget that they might just chance it), and i reckon a hell of a lot of gas would be pumped in to render you unconscious. Then they have to break in and not be overcome by the gas themselves. Surely it's better to burgle the place when you are out?

Just read up, air con units expels air to the outside but recycles the internal air cooling it in the process. As I say I'm no engineer, maybe someone on here can clarify. I hate people worrying for nothing especially as there is plenty to worry about with Tapus & Hab Certs:becky:

Last edited:

red

Warning - Dangerous scam
I don't know if it is a hoax or not but someone at work recieved an e-mail about this - from the police.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom