IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Wanted: Good news
It's official. We now have a defined route for tourists to enjoy the ultimate experience - Yorkshire!!
We welcome your money.

I've just watched a Lucy Worsley doc on the Madness of King George on the Beeb, It seems that the well -to -do used to pop in to the madhouse at Bedlam to view the proceedings. It seems that this, rather similar experience, is still on offer today!

Last edited:

Jaycey

African Refugee
Well we made it safely back to Zaporozhye despite a couple of setbacks.
Packed up the car in our communal garage and our host hit his remote gate opener and nix, nothing, nada - only panic!
Fortunately a neighbour showed up and did the honours for us. First two flights were uneventful but met up with a gaggle of Hasedic Jews that were very interesting.
They come to Uman every year to commemorate the passing of one of their elders.
But then disaster as we entered our hotel there - some strange fever struck and I had to be carried to our hotel room.
Was two days more before I was fit to travel on again. Plenty of police and army checkpoints but no Orcs.
Zaporozhye has been pretty quite up until now but on our first night home 19 missiles struck the army barracks behind us.
We were shaken but not stirred.

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Packed up the car in our communal garage and our host hit his remote gate opener and nix, nothing, nada - only panic!
Fortunately a neighbour showed up and did the honours for us. First two flights were uneventful but met up with a gaggle of Hasedic Jews that were very interesting.
But then disaster as we entered our hotel there - some strange fever struck and I had to be carried to our hotel room.
Was two days more before I was fit to travel on again. Plenty of police and army checkpoints but no Orcs.
Zaporozhye has been pretty quite up until now but on our first night home 19 missiles struck the army barracks behind us.
How's Mitzi?

Akasya

Postless Pointer
hope you and yours are able to keep safe Jaycey , nice to be home of course but keep your running shoes and kit bag handy , best of luck and may Ukraine prevail ....
Steve n Jackie

shash

shash
My good news is re: my electric and gas payments.
Earlier in the year they doubled it to £137 per month.
(I'm a very low user always, and in a hundred year old cottage with only fields outside so pretty cold place for the edge of London).
Once they put the price up I was even more frugal and I'm pretty good at being frugal, however I managed to be more frugal. Then I switched everything off bar fridge freezer and came back to Turkey. I later found I'm almost £400 in credit. I thought "OK I'll leave it there for winter time". I went back to London for July and much of August and used very little gas and electric. Then back to Turkey till end of this month.
I was expecting the next hike thats coming and low and behold they've put it down to £90 per month already.
Now all in all so far I'd say they've lost money from me this year, because having my smart metre I could see that I was using less than my original amount before the first hike, just because of being stubbornly frugal (not suffering frugal).
I will try so hard (I do love a challenge) to not give them anymore than is absolutely necessary especially as the hikes will come again I believe in October.
I truely hope we can all get through this without throwing money at suppliers.
I might also add I've done much the same in Turkiye this year. So far 5 weeks has cost me 250tl. Which is pretty darn good compared to some stories I've heard.

Tenpin

The Yorkshireman

Hero police dog Quantum retires after 250-arrest career​

Extract:
A "fearless" police dog who was once stabbed in the line of duty has started a well-earned retirement.

Quantum racked up more than 250 arrests in his six-year career during which he has helped officers catch a string of violent criminals in Nottinghamshire.

The seven-year-old German Shepherd earned a national bravery award after he was injured taking down a machete-wielding suspect in 2018.

He will now live with his dog handler PC Jennie Ellse.

shash

shash
More good news for me!.
It's so flippin cold at home now and I couldn't bare the thought of going back just yet. So I'm staying another 9 days in the warm. I know I do have to go back but I'm extra happy not going back and paying the energy companies for another 9 days. Plus all that wrapping up to keep warm that goes with it.
So more time keeping naturally warm, more swimming and staying fit (ish). Lovely fresh food too. Beautiful scenery at back and a stunning turquoise sea at front.
I couldn't ask for more.
Oh and i mustn't forget the drive by's late at night with the (I'm sure they are British) bin bin electric 4 wheelers. Constantly beeping and shouting at each other as they drive by . They are having soooo much fun.

Screenshot_20220927-084406_Google.jpg

Screenshot_20220927-084453_Google.jpg

Hilsjw

Our son who has joined AA is doing well and not had a drink for over a week, early days I know. We went to see him in Worcester and he took me to an AA meeting on Sunday. My goodness, what a wonderful experience that was. It lasted about an hour and men and women from all walks of life were there and they could speak if they wanted to. What stories they told and actually they were all the same, in that they had tried time and again to quit the drink but had been unsuccessful until they had a light bulb moment when they reached the very bottom. The same happened to Andrew - ghastly story that I won't repeat. He knew he'd come to the very end and sort help. He has told people he works with in the army, his friends and family. So, now he must resolve not to let them down but, more importantly not to let himself down. Thank you all for your good wishes. Hilary.

Maisie

I have posted previously on the thread Bit of a Palava and also on My Bolshie Husband. However, I feel that this thread is more appropriate now.

I attended the hospital yesterday for my appointment at the breast cancer clinic. (As an aside to this, the nurse who saw me through this appointment was one of those who had nursed Dave when he was an inpatient. She recognized me and asked the obvious question about Dave. After I told her what had happened, she asked if she could tell all the staff on the ward Dave had been in as, apparently, no-one there knew Dave had passed. She said that they had often speculated but had no information.)

Anyway, there is what I consider to be good news and some not so good news. The doctor measured the tumour. He said that in one direction, nothing had changed. But in another, it had shrunk from 1.5 to 1. I am not sure about the shape of this tumour, but I think it is roughly oblong and banana-shaped, if I understood the doctor correctly. Funny though, because I had assumed it was round. However, he said that this is good news, as it had not grown. So I am taking this as positive.

I will go back again in six months, but in the meantime - keep taking the tablets!

Maisie

shash

shash
Our son who has joined AA is doing well and not had a drink for over a week, early days I know. We went to see him in Worcester and he took me to an AA meeting on Sunday. My goodness, what a wonderful experience that was. It lasted about an hour and men and women from all walks of life were there and they could speak if they wanted to. What stories they told and actually they were all the same, in that they had tried time and again to quit the drink but had been unsuccessful until they had a light bulb moment when they reached the very bottom. The same happened to Andrew - ghastly story that I won't repeat. He knew he'd come to the very end and sort help. He has told people he works with in the army, his friends and family. So, now he must resolve not to let them down but, more importantly not to let himself down. Thank you all for your good wishes. Hilary.
I do wish him well with his endeavour to beat this. Years back I was visiting on a detox ward, and people from many walks of life, lawyer, doctor, musician etc etc were all struggling, but luckily many realised they actually felt better, and I hope they succeeded, but the pull of Alcohol drug or other drugs is so strong. My late ex husband battled the demon Alcohol and his light bulb moment was when our grandson was born, thankfully.
Traumatic for families 👪 .

Latest Posts

Top Bottom