IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Waiter annoyances
I'd like to see the reaction of a Turkish diner to having the plate removed before s/he'd finished the food on it. Downright rude and surely the waiter wouldn't do that at home?
I have never seen a plate removed with food still on it unless the customer consented, still we don't live in tourist areas

Last edited:

enoch

Top Poster Of Month
Waiter annoyances
Considering all the fatties in football shirts on Calis beach front ...the waiters are not taking the plates away soon enough !
You needn't bother about the tourists you just need to look what's walking around the streets in Turkey.

enoch

Top Poster Of Month
Waiter annoyances
I'd like to see the reaction of a Turkish diner to having the plate removed before s/he'd finished the food on it. Downright rude and surely the waiter wouldn't do that at home?
After seeing 3 people shot over the price of soup yesterday I would hate to think.

Hilsjw

Waiter annoyances
Bill and I wouldn't know what a Q.R. was, I don't think. Rarely go out to restaurants in Turkey. Food usually not good enough (who wants a thick slice of raw onion with a grilled fish and very little else?) Wine too expensive and service slow and dead slow.

Camden

Waiter annoyances
Turkish waiters need to chillax. If they are obsessively watching customers for the first / slightest indication that the food / drink may be finished, it just spoils the atmosphere. If they are being micro-managed to this degree by their bosses, then it is counter-productive. It seems more profit-focused than etiquette from my perspective.

The type of service you complain about is the type of service expected by Turkish customers ( and there is saying "when in Rome" etc ...

but I take your point it being a Tourist Restaurant ,maybe a waiter should be trained to suit the the tourist customer .. This would be OK if it was all year round job with prospects .. then possibly the incentive to do that would be there....

But many of these staff are normally only for the summer season, many transient from job to job ,students, to off season building staff etc .. so training is non existent..

As for profit focused, many Restaurant owners take on someone to the UK equivalent of "a ganger" who brings in his own team payed solely on commission only... less than 6 months work if lucky, to provide for the other 6 months lean, either no work, or low basic wage ( called bread money ) ... so the incentive is on turnover.. maybe wrong but as they say "Burası Türkiye"

Last edited:

ger78

Waiter annoyances
It's cultural.I like to be left alone and browse in shops.In Asia they will follow you around a shop knocking into you.
The waitering issue doesn't bother me usually. When it happens in Gumbet, it can be the straw that broke the camel's back for me sometimes 😢
My latest solution for the constant harassment to drop in for a drink or meal has been to wear headphones 😊 The clothes shop / perfume sellers, can still block your path though ... Fortunately I never experienced this when living in India, Seychelles or SE Asia.

Reactions: Rua

429nufc

Waiter annoyances
Just had a meal at Zeytin Alti a decent quality fish restaurant. Working our way through the starters the waiter whipped away a 90% finished plate of semisotou, later he attempted to do the same to a nearly finished plate of fava . My wife was quicker with the fork this time and he withdrew his hand rapidly. I ve decided the reason waiter keep clearing the table is because Turks order so much food and the tables aren’t big enough

What did customers do in restaurants before there was mobile phones? We were next to a table of 4 beautiful people all talking to someone else on their mobiles

enoch

Top Poster Of Month
Waiter annoyances
Just had a meal at Zeytin Alti a decent quality fish restaurant. Working our way through the starters the waiter whipped away a 90% finished plate of semisotou, later he attempted to do the same to a nearly finished plate of fava . My wife was quicker with the fork this time and he withdrew his hand rapidly. I ve decided the reason waiter keep clearing the table is because Turks order so much food and the tables aren’t big enough

What did customers do in restaurants before there was mobile phones? We were next to a table of 4 beautiful people all talking to someone else on their mobiles
Well if they took my food like that I would have told them to stuff it. I've never seen a plate took with out asking. It's like they say how will make the world stop close close down mobiles.

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Waiter annoyances
How about waiters ring the main courses before you’re half way through the meze ! Happened tonight for first time in years
In the early days I can remember the main being served with the starter or even before, back in 88 when chips were hardly served anywhere, a friend of ours came with us. Despite him working all over the world he didn't eat foreign junk, he ordered omelette and chips, he was served a very thick omelette with the chips, cold, and standing upright in the mix.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom