ginap

voltage problems
Hi
Anyone out there experiencing constant voltage problems ......by constant I mean swinging from high to low about every 5 minutes 24/7. All aplliances having trouble especially aircon ,oven,lighting infact near on everything, can't even run our computer anymore. Luckily we have a spare laptop on which I'm writing this. Anyway we are thinking of getting a voltage regulator, quite expensive , been quoted a thousand pounds but can't find much info on the net or should I say it's confusing so thought I would ask here if anybody has one or knows any info that might help .

Thanks
Gina

juco

voltage problems
I am not sure but if you put anti-surge sockets on appliances would this at least protect them and thay are nly a few pounds each, the surges might be a short term thing.

ginap

voltage problems
I think we do have 3 phase electric .....already have surge protectors on computer etc but what we are trying to do is maintain an even supply so that the aplliances work. Would a regulator do that ?

ginap

voltage problems
For about 2 weeks now , I know the demand for electric is now at a high but am trying to find a way to solve the problem as I know the electric comp won't be of any use .

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
voltage problems
sounds like its "2 phasing" which is a fault with the supply neutral, this could be anywhere between your fusebox through your meter to the outside line, or simply a transformer fault, you need an electrician to prove it - just watch your appliances !

martin

ginap

voltage problems
Right have just spoken to hubby he says ....Would this not be a problem all year then ? We have only experienced this since demand has risen, so he feels its a supply and demand issue ....too many villas running off substations designed for much less homes.

Thanks this is really helping ...just to discuss the issues cos so far we have hit a brick wall .....do you have any experience with voltage regulators ?

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
voltage problems
it is possible its the supply, but what you describe happened to me and cost me a lot of appliances, they dont like 400 v through them.
I should get it checked out, your transformer wont be far away, if its that, a lot of homes would be affected, that said if was the neutral at source a lot would be affected does it happen to your neighbors

martin

voltage regulators only really limit the over voltage

ginap

voltage problems
Sorry, should have said before neighbours are also affected. So definately it's a supply issue but will look into electrician for more info. As i said before do you have any knowledge re voltage regulators?

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
voltage problems
That supply issue could still be the neutral, when you are out in the dark, you may sometimes see sparking coming from the overhead wires particularly near poles, that is usually a bad connection, dimming on all circuits on a 3 phase installation is often due to the neutral having a bad connection somwhere.
as i said voltage regulators are really voltage limiters or staberlisers but they probably wouldnt work too well with large under voltage problems.

martin

ginap

voltage problems
Thanks very much, what you said makes alot of sense, has probably save us alot of money. Any other comments would be welcome

lewknor

lewknor
voltage problems
My guess is that Yalimart is correct in saying that it isprobably a supply problem. We are in Uzumlu and supplied by a feed from a sub station and the incoming voltage can fluctuate from 170 volts to 230v !! No,as you say , household appliances are not too happy with this at all. A voltage regulator has "smoothed" things out a little ( no idea of the cost of it as yet) but this is really only an interim measure. A solid,regular and reliable 230volt feed is what we are all after. As soon as my TV starts to "play up" I turn it off asap !A cheap voltage meter from eg Maplins (£10ish) has been very useful and good for checking batteries as well. Good luck!

ginap

voltage problems
I assume you already a voltage regulator, i don't understand what you mean re the cost of this yet? For the last two weeks our power has been constantly going up and down so regularly you could set your watch by the highs and lows, this going on 24-7 we don't seem to have a break from it at all!! I don't really know how they work but Yallimart suggesting that it would not be able to bring the voltage up makes sense i think. What regulator have you got? How is it helping?

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
voltage problems
I know you can use UPS to protect computers (I have one) against spikes in the power supply, but can you use them with other items to protect the appliance e.g. TV or fridge?

Ian

carolk

R.I.P
voltage problems
I had that problem in a app I used to own, as soon as people started to come home from work the everything stopped working properly and the air con was always the first to go. I got a regulator, it cost £600, it stopped the problem completely. Before I bought it however, the guy had to come two evenings with a voltage 'thingy' so I could see the voltage going down and down as the evening wore on!! They were mainly Turkish in my block as so at work all day.

I was told it something to do with the wiring on the complex and although the builder had the Tedas out many times they would only come during the day when there was not a big problem - so stalemate!!!

I believe they can be wired to more than one app so you could share the cost. No Turkish person would share with me so it was only wired to my app.

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
voltage problems
Hi Ginap
The regulators will also pull up the voltage, but have to switch very quickly, Im not sure of how much they will pull up the voltage when the supply voltage dips but would guess that the more they have to do the more they would cost.
I have seen single appliance regulators that plug in and you then plug your appliance into that.
my guess is that tedas should supply a guaranteed voltage and frequency to a customer, if the output at the transformer is ok then it is likely the cables feeding your site or area are too small and causing voltage drop under heavy load.

you really need an electrician to determine the problem !

martin

lewknor

lewknor
voltage problems
Ginap - I don't know the cost of the regulator because it miraculously appeared in my outside c/h housing. This after lots of moans re supply problems and am not about to query the price! I am very fortunate in having a sympathetic site engineer but again he and I feel this to be an interim measure. We have been promised a new sub station, installed much nearer to the house which wil mean less "sharing" with other consumers....ps they are best installed away from the living areas as they emit a small amount of electrical whine.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom