arrian

R.I.P
vital curry ingredients?
in the past i have mainly used curry sauces etc but i'm thinking of doing my own from scratch now that i am not working, as i have the time to both shop for ingredients and make up curry mixes with different flavours.
the problem is, i don't know where to start!
what are the basics needed for ALL curries, i.e. spices, herbs etc. and if anyone has any good recipes, esp. vegetarian, i'd be delighted.
i've looked at some recipes, and been surprised how many chefs say to use jars! also, as i said, i need to know the important ingredients to keep in stock, rather than loads of stuff i might never use. thanks to all!!!

Arrian xxxxxx

:48:

Gail

vital curry ingredients?
Coriander seed
Cumin
Cardamon seeds
Turmeric
Garam masala
Chilli
garlic
ginger

They are probably the basics you need and you can get them no problem in Turkey, even fresh ginger which we couldn't get when we first moved here.

Google recipes for vegetables curries and you will get more than you can ever make.

I always keep plenty of tins of tomatoes and coconut milk as well and then we can pretty much make most curries. I think the only paste we use are the Thai pastes the rest we make ourselves. Once you make your own you will never go back to jars!!

Last edited:

hijo

in my own clique
vital curry ingredients?
..cardamon pods , fenugreek , cumin,turmeric,and ginger and garlic ..also i always kep some garamasala..... if you grind all of these together then just store it....except for the garic and ginger ..unless your using the powder stuff

Last edited:

arrian

R.I.P
vital curry ingredients?
what about mustard seeds? i've seen that mentioned. also the garam masala, i bought a large bag in sainsburys', does it keep well? how should i store it (i'm in the uk) thankyou

Gail

vital curry ingredients?
We keep our seeds in airtight jars. Mustard seeds I alway have in but not used in loads of curry dishes. Try the aubergine and spinach curry that is so easy to make and really lovely. I blend it all together at the end to make it a bit smoother and have it with rice and bread.

arrian

R.I.P
vital curry ingredients?
thanks Gail. i bought the aubergine yesterday to make this recipe!!!!! can't believe that after nearly 44 years of marriage i'm still learning! been to busy working tho'!!! lol

rosewall1

ex Bond Girl
vital curry ingredients?
If you are in the UK I recommend that you go to your nearest Asian grocers and have a good look around, ask questions and remember that they probably sell a lot of the necessary spices loose so you can just buy a small amount to try.
As for recipes I would look on the internet but if you can find any by Pat Chapman or even buy his book you cannot go far wrong.
Now papadoms always get them from the Asian grocers as you will get them much cheaper than your local supermarket. Cook them in the chip pan in hot oil and then drain them on kitchen towel but wedge them up so that the oil drains down and off.
Hope this is of help

arrian

R.I.P
vital curry ingredients?
If you are in the UK I recommend that you go to your nearest Asian grocers and have a good look around, ask questions and remember that they probably sell a lot of the necessary spices loose so you can just buy a small amount to try.
As for recipes I would look on the internet but if you can find any by Pat Chapman or even buy his book you cannot go far wrong.
Now papadoms always get them from the Asian grocers as you will get them much cheaper than your local supermarket. Cook them in the chip pan in hot oil and then drain them on kitchen towel but wedge them up so that the oil drains down and off.
Hope this is of help

thanks rosewall1, did this and amazon have some books at 1p!!!! will send for some!

jagman

vital curry ingredients?
Everything Gail said plus cinnamon sticks, cloves, paprika and bay leaves.

For an aromatic curry

Place 1 medium chopped onion in pan with a little oil first and cook until soft, add dry powder ingredients (2 tbl spns coriander, 1 tea spn tumeric, 2 tea spns garam masala, 2 tbl spns ginger, 1 tea spn paprika) and meat if using otherwise any veg you want, then add wet ingredients (tin of tomatoes blended) then add garlic and 2x3" cinnamon sticks, seeds from 6 cardamon pods, 4 bay leaves, 10 cloves) top up with a little water and let reduce until consistency you like is attained, add cream if required and/or spinach just before serving.

If hotter curry required add chilli powder to own taste, most people will like it as hot as above recipe

Last edited:

arrian

R.I.P
vital curry ingredients?
jagman, that sounds delicious! looks like tonights dinner is sorted!!! thankyou.

Redhand

vital curry ingredients?
Coriander seed
Cumin
Cardamon seeds
Turmeric
Garam masala
Chilli
garlic
ginger

They are probably the basics you need and you can get them no problem in Turkey, even fresh ginger which we couldn't get when we first moved here.

Google recipes for vegetables curries and you will get more than you can ever make.

I always keep plenty of tins of tomatoes and coconut milk as well and then we can pretty much make most curries. I think the only paste we use are the Thai pastes the rest we make ourselves. Once you make your own you will never go back to jars!!

Great list of ingredients , get a big enamel bucket , lash all in together and tramp through it in your bare feet for 15 mins:flame:, let it sit over night and boil for 3 hours the next day at 12 noon and you will have the best curry ever you got ,, yahoo
:flame:

itstime

vital curry ingredients?
* 8 garlic cloves , peeled
* 5cm piece of ginger , peeled and coarsely chopped
* 100g almonds
* vegetable oil
* 1kg lamb shoulder or leg, boneless, cut into large cubes
* 1 onion , finely chopped
* 10 cardamom pods
* 4 cloves , crushed
* 1 cinnamon stick
* 1 tsp ground coriander
* 2 tsp ground cumin
* ½ tsp cayenne pepper
* 284ml carton single cream
* ½ tsp garam masala
* a handful of coriander leaves, to serve

one of my favourites
:smile:

Raysalaff

Just Call Me Ray !
vital curry ingredients?
I find the Bodrum Bazlama goes well with curries, i think it's better than Nan bread.

civciv

vital curry ingredients?
My local Asian shop has some prepared spice mixes that are in boxes which come from Pakistan and India. They are fantastic (and quite hot too!) and sometimes I use these as it saves the waff of buying too many ingredients. They sell for about £0.80 and generally you have to add fresh ginger, garlic, tomatoes and sometimes natural yoghurt. The recipes are in english and the Biryani recipes are delicious too.

I have about 10 spices in my storecupboard but some recipes call for something that I dont normally use so these are a great standby.

zuberdust

IM THE BESTEST :)
vital curry ingredients?
always start off with sauteing onions and garlic n ginger.. then take it from there, then adding the selected spices, meat, water/liquids and any other ingredients u may wish to add.

scattea

vital curry ingredients?
A while back "pete the postie" added a link to a excellent recipe book, I still have mine but i can't attach it to the thread

Latest Posts

Top Bottom