ceemac

Shake It Baby...
Visitors Who Overstay Visa
This subject comes up occasionally on the Forum and this recent update comes from the British Embassy in Turkey;

Visa requirements

'A visitor's visa valid for 90 days is issued to UK nationals at the port of entry on payment of £10. For longer stays an application to a Turkish Embassy or Consulate abroad is necessary.

The Turkish Authorities have recently enforced the application of the following rules for foreigners.
  • An overstay from 1-15 days incurs the requirement to apply for a new visa at a Turkish Embassy or Consulate abroad. A visa will no longer be issued at the port of entry. Fines levied apply as before at the applicable rate.
  • An overstay from 16-90 days will incur the need to apply from a Consulate or Embassy abroad as above and a ban on re-entry for up to three months. Fines levied apply as before at the applicable rate.
  • If one overstays for more than 90 days i.e. from the 91st day, a ban on re-entry for up to six months is applicable and again an application for a visa must be made at a Turkish Embassy or Consulate abroad. Usual fine procedures apply.
This, if applied rigorously, may cause difficulties for resident British citizens who have not obtained an appropriate visa and or residence permit to reside in Turkey or simply for unwitting innocents who overstay their welcome.

This information was provided by the Turkish Security Police Directorate i.e. Aliens department, who you may wish to contact, in the town where you reside for fuller details and or fine tariff information.

June 2009'

C

kemer

Hi
I came back from Turkiye on 23 March this year via Antalya airport, my visa had expired 23 days before I flew, at immigration I was taken to the police station in the airport given a hefty fine of about 300 euro and a 5 YEAR BAN, so much for the advice on the consulate website.

ken

This subject comes up occasionally on the Forum and this recent update comes from the British Embassy in Turkey;

Visa requirements

'A visitor's visa valid for 90 days is issued to UK nationals at the port of entry on payment of £10. For longer stays an application to a Turkish Embassy or Consulate abroad is necessary.

The Turkish Authorities have recently enforced the application of the following rules for foreigners.
  • An overstay from 1-15 days incurs the requirement to apply for a new visa at a Turkish Embassy or Consulate abroad. A visa will no longer be issued at the port of entry. Fines levied apply as before at the applicable rate.
  • An overstay from 16-90 days will incur the need to apply from a Consulate or Embassy abroad as above and a ban on re-entry for up to three months. Fines levied apply as before at the applicable rate.
  • If one overstays for more than 90 days i.e. from the 91st day, a ban on re-entry for up to six months is applicable and again an application for a visa must be made at a Turkish Embassy or Consulate abroad. Usual fine procedures apply.
This, if applied rigorously, may cause difficulties for resident British citizens who have not obtained an appropriate visa and or residence permit to reside in Turkey or simply for unwitting innocents who overstay their welcome.

This information was provided by the Turkish Security Police Directorate i.e. Aliens department, who you may wish to contact, in the town where you reside for fuller details and or fine tariff information.

June 2009'

C
Does this mean that we can no longer jump on the ferry to Rhodes for the day and pay the ten pounds on re entry to Turkey to obtain a further ninety day visa.?

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Does this mean that we can no longer jump on the ferry to Rhodes for the day and pay the ten pounds on re entry to Turkey to obtain a further ninety day visa.?

No, you can still do the "visa run".

jewel

A lady on our site arrived for 2 weeks on Tuesday, at the airport she showed her passport with her £10 fee but was told her visa was still OK. On looking at it yesterday she has found she will be 2 days over, does anyone know what she will be fined for the 2 days or should she make a trip to Kos? any help gratefully received as she is on her own and pretty concerned. jewel x

DRACEY

A lady on our site arrived for 2 weeks on Tuesday, at the airport she showed her passport with her £10 fee but was told her visa was still OK. On looking at it yesterday she has found she will be 2 days over, does anyone know what she will be fined for the 2 days or should she make a trip to Kos? any help gratefully received as she is on her own and pretty concerned. jewel x
To be on the safe side I'd do the Kos trip. You only have to come up against some " job's worth " on the way home and it could ruin your holiday.

Raysalaff

Just Call Me Ray !
To be on the safe side I'd do the Kos trip. You only have to come up against some " job's worth " on the way home and it could ruin your holiday.
:hmm:
There is of course the chance that the cost of two days overstay might be cheaper than the trip to Kos.

OLIVER

Out of interest does anyone know what the fine is for up to 14 days and is it the same on residence visas?

redrhino12

This happened to me in 2007

Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:42 pm

Just arrived back and have just got to tell you about my scare in Dalaman Airport.

On arriving at Dalaman I had informed my good wife that we needed new visas because the ones we had got in late May were expired during our August visit,so Had inserted the required £10 notes in the 3 passports.
Being the wise person she is along with all the other members of the fairer sex, she decides that I know nothing and that she will ask the smiling visa control officer if the visa was still good,
he said "Yes" and smugly Ann and our little group then went through passport control having just saved £30.

Now on the way out of the country Passport control decided that our visa was out of date and informed security who took us into a small office were anther smiling gentleman informed me that our visa was 6 days out of date.
Having checked his financial chart he decides that he could let us out of the country if we paid a fine of 453 YTL about £180.

After then having to have our passports photo copied and variouse forms filled we were allowed to leave Dalaman.
But not before giving me a dressing down saying that I should know better after visiting his country so many times and not being aware of my visa state ie:90 days.
Visions of Midnight Express went through my mind especially when this security guard said that I had beautifull eyes, gods honour thats what he said.

I was also informed that if they wanted to they could ban me from visiting Turkey for 5 years but would not push the issue (I think my eyes got us through that one)

I again have bragging rights in our house and I think in future Mrs Gene will listen to my words.

Gene

Oliver, I was 2 days over this year on my residence permit as I was too ill to renew it within the required period and I was charged 4GPB for each day.

Soo x

hijo

in my own clique
..I DO KNOW PEOPLE HERE IN TURKEY THAT HAV,NT RENEWED THEIR VISAS IN 15 YEARS ..THEY JUST DON,T GO BACK TO THE UK....:speaknoev

babsgood

Deemon in disguise
why dont people get residency permits then they have no worry and in the long run its cheaper then the visa runs!!!!

Oh no it's not................but lets not go there again as its not really what this thread is about

OLIVER

So on a tourıst visa 180 dıvıded by 3 = £60 ie £10 a day but on the resıdency £4 a day!?!

But I guess ıt could be anything!!!!!!!!!

babsgood

Deemon in disguise
So on a tourıst visa 180 dıvıded by 3 = £60 ie £10 a day but on the resıdency £4 a day!?!

But I guess ıt could be anything!!!!!!!!!

OK..................ferry to Kos 60 TL x 4 per year = 240 TL
visa 10 pounds (25 TL as near as) x 4 = 100TL
TOTAL = 340 TL less than 1 TL per day

residence permit 800 TL or there abouts depending on exchange rate on the day 2.2 TL per day

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom