Visa runs for asians
Hi everyone, ok my question is probably going to be a difficult one but hopefully some of you knowledgeable people will have the answer, I hope! :3:

I’m British and my girlfriend is Thai. We live in Thailand just now but I’m bored here, mainly with the stupidity of the place & people here, so I’m hoping it’s different there?

Anyway we’re planning a long visit to Turkey to see what it’s like, I know I can get a 90 day visa on arrival for 10 GBP and can do a visa run just before it expires if I want to stay longer, correct?

However my girlfriend has to get a tourist visa from the Turkish embassy in Bangkok before travelling, so I’m wondering if she also would be able to do a visa run if we want to stay for an additional 90 days?

So are there any brits with a foreign girlfriend/partner who has been in this situation or does anyone know the answer please?

Thanks,

Phil

pebble

Visa runs for asians
Phil, I have no idea, I would talk to the embassy when you are getting the 90 day visa.
sorry, I really dont think you are going to find an answer to that particular qauestion on this forum. Good luck, have fun with the move.

Bas

Visa runs for asians
I think you are being hugely disparaging if not rude to the people you are with in Thailand ! I spend many happy months travelling across Thailand and think it is one of the most beautiful places on earth, the people are lovely, the food fantastic.......

Perhaps you should clarify your statement a little......

Visa runs for asians
I think you are being hugely disparaging if not rude to the people you are with in Thailand ! I spend many happy months travelling across Thailand and think it is one of the most beautiful places on earth, the people are lovely, the food fantastic.......

Perhaps you should clarify your statement a little......

Yeah, so why didn’t you stay here? It’s always nice seeing somewhere different, for a holiday! Was it your first visit?

Try living here and I’m certain you’ll agree with me in time.

Ok perhaps everyone isn’t stupid, maybe it’s just been in the places that I’ve lived for any length of time……Phuket, Chiang Mai, Pattaya, Kanchanaburi……………….

PASH

Visa runs for asians
Hi Phil

i think its the same the world over, i love Turkey very much but would never want to live here full time, to a brit, the Turkish way of doing many things appears daft and stupid but its their country and there rules. We always use the UK as a comparison but have to bear in mind, its not the UK and we will get frustrated by things that appear simple on the face of it, being so complicated for no other reason than petty rules and regulations. I am sure living in Thailand is very much the same as here, frustration around every corner.

Bas

Visa runs for asians
Phil

you may have not enjoyed yourself, but there is no excuse for your comment that you are bored & it is because the people and place is stupid. That is simply offensive to those concerned.

Perhaps you would be better off staying in england if you cannot appreciate foreign cultures.

Visa runs for asians
Phil

you may have not enjoyed yourself, but there is no excuse for your comment that you are bored & it is because the people and place is stupid. That is simply offensive to those concerned.

Perhaps you would be better off staying in england if you cannot appreciate foreign cultures.

Bas, to clarify my statement, briefly,

Example 1 – I just went to 7 eleven for some cigarettes. I asked for 4 packs of L&M lights, she gave me 2 so I said I want 4 packs please, only to be told I can only have 2 packs. I attempted to ask why only 2 but was looked at as if I was daft with no explanation. I went over the road to another shop and got what I wanted without problems.

Are you limited to how many you can buy in Turkey?

Example 2 – we live 4 kilometres from the centre. It took 11 months to get the phone line connected after months of feeble excuses and promises of it being done in a couple of weeks, then months etc etc.

How long does it take in Turkey?

Example 3 – when driving along a main road here most of the time people will pull out of a side road on a motorbike without looking, so I have to be careful to avoid them as being a foreigner it will be considered to be my fault!

Is it the same in Turkey?

Example 4 - We have guests who will be staying in a hotel we have recommended here, they read reviews online about the noise until after 4.00am from the nightclub next door. I asked my girlfriend why the hotel doesn’t complain to the police. She said because it’s owned by the police. So I said why don’t the hotel owners complain to the higher police in Bangkok? She replied that if they did they would probably be shot! Literally!

Does that happen in turkey also?

I could go on but I don’t have a couple of months to spare to elaborate any more.

As I said, visiting on holiday is fine, you don’t experience the real Thailand.

However I look forward to your answers to my questions.

Oh BTW, it’s not a matter of not appreciating foreign cultures as you say, it’s more a case of finding it difficult to endure foreign stupidity!

Cheers,

Phil

Martyn

Visa runs for asians
Bas, to clarify my statement, briefly,

Example 1 – I just went to 7 eleven for some cigarettes. I asked for 4 packs of L&M lights, she gave me 2 so I said I want 4 packs please, only to be told I can only have 2 packs. I attempted to ask why only 2 but was looked at as if I was daft with no explanation. I went over the road to another shop and got what I wanted without problems.

Are you limited to how many you can buy in Turkey?

Example 2 – we live 4 kilometres from the centre. It took 11 months to get the phone line connected after months of feeble excuses and promises of it being done in a couple of weeks, then months etc etc.

How long does it take in Turkey?

Example 3 – when driving along a main road here most of the time people will pull out of a side road on a motorbike without looking, so I have to be careful to avoid them as being a foreigner it will be considered to be my fault!

Is it the same in Turkey?

Example 4 - We have guests who will be staying in a hotel we have recommended here, they read reviews online about the noise until after 4.00am from the nightclub next door. I asked my girlfriend why the hotel doesn’t complain to the police. She said because it’s owned by the police. So I said why don’t the hotel owners complain to the higher police in Bangkok? She replied that if they did they would probably be shot! Literally!

Does that happen in turkey also?

I could go on but I don’t have a couple of months to spare to elaborate any more.

As I said, visiting on holiday is fine, you don’t experience the real Thailand.

However I look forward to your answers to my questions.

Oh BTW, it’s not a matter of not appreciating foreign cultures as you say, it’s more a case of finding it difficult to endure foreign stupidity!

Cheers,

Phil

In the main you could be quoting Turkey from what I have read :roundgrin someone will fill you in.

pebble

Visa runs for asians
it's pretty much the same in Turkey, with the exception of the cigarette purchase

Visa runs for asians
My experience has been that most Europeans and Asians don't like Brits or Americans-they think us arrogant and better than themselves because we have it so much better than they-so some treat us like ****.
I think you will have to grin-and-bear that kind of treatment no matter where you live.
Grace

TURKISH BEGINNER

TURKISH BEGINNER
Visa runs for asians
Phil, my brother is married to a Thai lady and the visa is only allowed for the country it is given for, so No she can not go to Greece or anywhere else. Same if she went to England, a seperate visa has to be applied for to get into other countries.... My brother has come back alone this year as he wants to take family to Cyprus and visit a brother in Spain, and it would have cost toooooo much for the visas for his wife.......Hope this helps.......

M

Mack

Visa runs for asians
it's pretty much the same in Turkey, with the exception of the cigarette purchase

I absolutley agree with Pebble, perhaps Turkey would be a lateral move Phil, maybe best to keep hunting :)

You need a raft of patience and then some to really enjoy living here without having a nervous breakdown :)

Visa runs for asians
I absolutley agree with Pebble, perhaps Turkey would be a lateral move Phil, maybe best to keep hunting :)

You need a raft of patience and then some to really enjoy living here without having a nervous breakdown :)

Pebble and Mack are absolutely right - sounds just like Turkey to me!!! A long vacation is fine, living here is something else! And it suits me just fine!

teresa

Free Thinker
Visa runs for asians
I did chuckle a bit when I read your reasons Phil (not laughing at you I assure you) because as Pebble said apart from the cigarettes you could honestly have been writing about Turkey.

If you are bored in Thailand then move on to Turkey because it will be very different in many ways. However, the driving is terrible, you will get little justice and corruption is rife. Apart from that it is an amazing country and well worth at least a visit. The people are lovely - just don't part with any large sums money LOL. You might love it or loathe it and Greece, Russia and Bulgaria are only a hop away if you get bored.

Here is a site that might help you with the visa info

Turkish Consulate General - Visa Information

Visa runs for asians

11 months....luxury!!! I know people here who were told four years ago they could have a phone connection and they're still waiting. Now and again I let them come and look at mine. (just joking.......there's a 2yr waiting list to view it)

Visa runs for asians
Phil instead of Turkey why not come over here to the beautiful Turkish Republic of North Cyprus. No problem with a visa if you fly direct into Ercan airport. Check with the TRNC embassy in London they will give you a letter stating no problem for her to come in, and we don't charge £10 for visa it is free.

Visa runs for asians
Phil, my brother is married to a Thai lady and the visa is only allowed for the country it is given for, so No she can not go to Greece or anywhere else. Same if she went to England, a seperate visa has to be applied for to get into other countries.... My brother has come back alone this year as he wants to take family to Cyprus and visit a brother in Spain, and it would have cost toooooo much for the visas for his wife.......Hope this helps.......

What nationality is your brother? Because if he is a national of any country in the EU Schengen zones then she can visit any of those countries as his dependant with a visa issued FREE. Unless of the course their marriage was only a Thai ceremony, and not registered with his home country.

I’ll reply to the other responses to my post shortly.

Phil

Latest Posts

Top Bottom